The Student Room Group

Mother of 5 sentenced to death for making 'offensive' comments about Muhammad

Her crime was allegedly insulting the prophet Muhammad during an argument with some Muslim neighbours. The case caused an international outcry; politicians and international human rights organisations took it up; lawyers appealed. Today, the Lahore high court upheld the death sentence.

46-year-old Asia Bibi got into a dispute with a group of Muslim women who objected to her drinking their water because as a Christian she was considered 'unclean'.

Hours after the incident one of the women reported mother-of-five Ms Bibi to a local cleric, claiming she had made disparaging remarks about the prophet Mohammed during the row.

As a result of the allegations, a furious mob arrived at Ms Bibi's home and savagely beat her and members of her family. She was later arrested, charged with blasphemy and eventually sentenced to death - with her entire family forced to go into hiding after receiving threats on their lives.

'I, Asia Bibi, have been sentenced to death because I was thirsty. I'm a prisoner because I used the same cup as those Muslim women, because water served by a Christian woman was regarded as unclean by my stupid fellow fruit-pickers.'

In her book, Mrs Bibi describes how - tired of being considered a second-class citizen simply because of her religion and insulted by constant calls for her to convert to Islam - she decided to stand up to the crowd and defend Christianity.

Ms Bibi was dragged before the local Islamic teacher who told her the only way she could redeem herself was by converting to Islam. Otherwise, he said, she would face death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29640245

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2796178/pakistani-christian-woman-sentenced-death-blasphemy-making-derogatory-remarks-muslim-neighbours-loses-appeal.html

This is real persecution, yet, it seems as though the persecution of any religion other than a certain one isn't valid enough, isn't provocative enough to draw any response. Where is the outrage? Christians are sick of this.

Scroll to see replies

Mate be fair it's all about context and Muhammad is very special to Muslims so the reaction is warranted and anyway she probably did worse things to Muslims too so it's justified all round, to the gallows with her tbh. #ReligionofPeace
She shouldn't have had that done to her, but why on earth would you bring religion and then insult someone's religion in an argument? That's just low.

FYI, the whole thing about Christians being unclean is complete nonsense. Clearly they aren't educated enough to realise this is (for obvious reasons) false.

As above, context. Doesn't excuse what they did (or what she did either, clearly that's not going to help) but it seems like the reaction would make more sense if you lived there.
I don't think anyone expects them people to behave rationally.
Original post by Blues Clues
Clearly they aren't educated enough to realise this is (for obvious reasons) false.

As in every religious text ever written, it simply depends on which verses you happen to cherry pick or are educated with by your cleric, If someone told me...

"If the followers of the Bible would but attain to [true] faith and God-consciousness, We should indeed efface their [previous] bad deeds, and indeed bring them into gardens of bliss; and if they would but truly observe the Torah and the Gospel and all [the revelation] that has been bestowed from on high upon them by their Sustainer, they would indeed partake of all the blessings of heaven and earth. Some of them do pursue a right course; but as for most of them -vile indeed is what they do!

as the Christian refused to convert to Islam, I may be inclined to think, following such a course, they should be unwelcome.

The Jews call 'Uzair a son of God, and the Christians call Christ the son of God. That is but a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. God's curse be on them; how they are deluded away from the Truth! They take their priests and their anchorites to be their lords in derogation of God, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary. Yet they were commanded to worship but One God: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to Him! (Far is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him)"

Again, they are compared to Kuffar, God should curse them. If I were a simple villager, would I want to share my supplies with someone cursed by God, hmm...

...but as per usual, any negative verses are "context" or "historical", any positive verses which fit the narrative must be the correct ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Interesting..
religion of peace
Original post by joey11223
As in every religious text ever written, it simply depends on which verses you happen to cherry pick or are educated with by your cleric, If someone told me...

...Maybe because it's true?

You try reading a book when you're illiterate and telling me what it's about afterwards.

"If only they [i.e. Christians] had stood fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that was sent to them from their Lord, they would have enjoyed happiness from every side. There is from among them a party on the right course, but many of them follow a course that is evil"

and the Christian refused to convert to Islam, I may be inclined to think, following such a course,they should be unwelcome.

The Jews call 'Uzair a son of God, and the Christians call Christ the son of God. That is but a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. God's curse be on them; how they are deluded away from the Truth! They take their priests and their anchorites to be their lords in derogation of God, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary. Yet they were commanded to worship but One God: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to Him! (Far is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him)"

Again, they are compared to Kuffar, God should curse them. If I were a simple villager, would I want to share my supplies with someone cursed by God, hmm...

...but as per usual, any negative verses are "context" or "historical", any positive verses which fit the narrative must be the correct ones.

Oh please. Go read some more and stop cherry picking yourself.

("Oh, he's leaving because he's too afraid to admit the truth!")
...Maybe because it's true?

You try reading a book when you're illiterate and telling me what it's about afterwards.

Oh please. Go read some more and stop cherry picking yourself.

("Oh, he's leaving because he's too afraid to admit the truth!")

...you don't seem to get the point, you call me a cherry picker, where as ignoring them and only picking happy positive verses would also make you a cherry picker, everyone cherry picks by default as it is impossible for there to be a linear single interpretation because the book conflicts with itself as every text does. If your personal morality makes you tolerant of homosexuals for example, you'll stick to verses about love, not judging, only Allah decides etc, if you dislike them, you'll stick to verses about Lut and the lessons from that scenario on practicing homosexuality.

...quite dangerous to be illiterate really I suppose, your cleric can tell you what ever the **** he wants and you won't know the actual scripture as you can't read it.

Anyway you just said "maybe it's because it's true", so you agree a Christian who will not convert to Islam is acting in a vile/evil (depending on the translation) manner? That God curses them?

Honestly though it's not about some simple god fearing villagers. The fact is a women is going to die because she supposedly insulted Muhammad and at every judicial stage including the high court, so educated people, have decided killing her and leaving her children without a mother is perfectly acceptable. Speaks for itself tbh..
(edited 9 years ago)
It is mind numbing when you realise just how under developed socially some areas of the globe are.

There are a few worrying comments here too!

For example

She shouldn't have had that done to her, but why on earth would you bring religion and then insult someone's religion in an argument? That's just low.

Did you seriously read this article and decide the low point was someone questioning religion?

To put it mildly, for me personally, the fact there are people who can draw such conclusions takes the shine off being human.

There appears (through media representation and even in this thread) to be a growing disdain for Islamic religion. What people need to realise is that for many this disdain is directed at sections of society putting spiritual thinking above logical evidence based thinking. The problem is not with 'Islam' the problem is with or at least should be with, sections of society who chose to believe in outdated barbaric mythological preachings from thousands of years ago rather embrace social and philosophical evolution.
Mate be fair it's all about context and Muhammad is very special to Muslims so the reaction is warranted and anyway she probably did worse things to Muslims too so it's justified all round, to the gallows with her tbh. #ReligionofPeace

I really hope this is sarcasm/some attempt at humour that I didn't understand.
a desperately sad situation. i can only hope that Mrs Bibi's faith will sustain her and that she will sit with the righteous in Heaven.
Original post by joker12345
I really hope this is sarcasm/some attempt at humour that I didn't understand.

Dat hashtag tho. :wink:
Firstly, I find it a bit ridiculous that knowing the laws and culture she still acted in a way that made her liable to consequences. You wouldn't jump in a lions cage and not expect to mauled, similarly, she knew what she was going to do was a crime, she knew she would be punished, yet she did it anyway.

Frankly, I find it a bit ridiculous that they'd punish something so trivial anyway. The words of such a women can never harm or disgrace the Prophet (saw).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heliosphan
Blimey.

Fantastic little cameo on Islam, illustrating perfectly what a backward faith it is.

All religions are backwards, yes, even Christianity. Do you not see that the Bible condones genocide, adultery, murder, homophobia....

What nonsense. Doesn't matter what the countries laws are. Laws are only laws if they are just. Which country is this?

This is why we need every country to be a Western liberal democracy. The sooner the better. Bring back the Empire.
Original post by Eboracum
What nonsense. Doesn't matter what the countries laws are. Laws are only laws if they are just. Which country is this?

This is why we need every country to be a Western liberal democracy. The sooner the better. Bring back the Empire.

I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic...
Original post by moment of truth
I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic...

this is the confusing bit

'I'm not sure why you think my previous post was not serious but it's universally known that Muslims put their profit on a very lofty station. Talking smack about their leader is not really the way to go especially if you're thirsty and begging for water'

But I think a good example of Poe's law
Original post by Radicalathiest
this is the confusing bit

'I'm not sure why you think my previous post was not serious but it's universally known that Muslims put their profit on a very lofty station. Talking smack about their leader is not really the way to go especially if you're thirsty and begging for water'

But I think a good example of Poe's law

Nooo, I think that user is serious but that wasn't the post and user that I was talking about. The post is this one:

Original post by kayy_ox
I agree 'that killing people for blasphemy is backwards' And I'm not trying to insult you but all I'm saying is not to generalize. Yes Islam doesn't have the perfect image and definitely is portrayed as being peaceful by the media. But does it mean that all Muslims believe that killing someone for blasphemy is acceptable? And do you think that all Muslims are evil?

Do not generalize:biggrin:

As of 2011, all Islamic majority nations, worldwide, had criminal laws on blasphemy. so are you now saying the majority of Muslims are backwards and you are somehow special but one of the few true muslims?

it is you who are telling people porkies as the majority of muslims contradict you.

And No but I believe the majority are brainwashed as the threat of murder if you question has provided us with generation after generation of people who are too cowed to question their 'truth'

Latest