The Student Room Group

Future English Degree

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but didn't know quite where to put it.

Thinking about applying for a university and going for English (preferably a degree that contains both Lit + Lang), as that is what (a) I find myself enjoying most, (b) I find myself moderately good at and (c) that's what I did in the Access to HE course when finished (July 2014). If this is useful, I got distinctions for both Lit + Lang, god only knows what that accounts to in A Level speak. The only, erm, 'hiccup', is that I don't have a Maths GCSE. I failed it at GCSE, and I am only now doing a Maths nightly course to bump it up to a C or above. Will this be a major issue, if for the worse case scenario, I don't get the C (or above) I'm looking for, will uni's completely dismiss on them ground alone?

I was just wanting to know what the best Universities are regarding English Language + Literature? Anyone doing this, or a similar degree now? If so how have you found it? Looked at a few, including Lancaster, Lough and UCL, and UCL seems appealing, but don't know how good this uni is compared to others regarding what I want to do.

*I don't have any preferences when it comes to location(s).

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I know people at university doing english courses who have just graduated and still haven't passed there maths along as you keep trying at it it should be fine
Hi! I am a third year student at the University of Reading studying English Literature and History of Art. I'm really enjoying it so far. In my first year for English, the modules covered a variety of areas including poetry, novels, contemporary fiction etc. I enjoyed some areas more than others, but this meant I was able to know exactly what I was interested in so that in my second and third year I chose all my modules.

I really enjoy doing a joint honours degree as its nice to have more of a variety of what you learn at university. You will find that sometimes the two connect with each other in certain topics (especially with English Language!) so it is very useful to bring in knowledge that you have gained in the other subject. It is likely that you are able to do a joint dissertation which is what I'm doing at the moment and this can be very interesting.

The English department at Reading are very supportive and I have no problems going to someone for help. For each practice essay you do before the assessed essay you get a one to one feedback session which is very useful and the tutors really examine your work in detail.

When choosing universities definitely look at the course content first as you don't want to be studying areas of English that do not appeal to you. One of the reasons why I chose Reading for English was the range of modules I could pick from. It was especially hard choosing my third year modules as there are 40 to choose from!

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art
Original post by RyWalker
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but didn't know quite where to put it.

Thinking about applying for a university and going for English (preferably a degree that contains both Lit + Lang), as that is what (a) I find myself enjoying most, (b) I find myself moderately good at and (c) that's what I did in the Access to HE course when finished (July 2014). If this is useful, I got distinctions for both Lit + Lang, god only knows what that accounts to in A Level speak. The only, erm, 'hiccup', is that I don't have a Maths GCSE. I failed it at GCSE, and I am only now doing a Maths nightly course to bump it up to a C or above. Will this be a major issue, if for the worse case scenario, I don't get the C (or above) I'm looking for, will uni's completely dismiss on them ground alone?

I was just wanting to know what the best Universities are regarding English Language + Literature? Anyone doing this, or a similar degree now? If so how have you found it? Looked at a few, including Lancaster, Lough and UCL, and UCL seems appealing, but don't know how good this uni is compared to others regarding what I want to do.

Thanks.

I got offers from all 5 of my unis with having an F in GCSE Maths. As someone rightly said, as long as you keep trying!!!
Hi,

Thanks.

Some universities require Cs (or sometimes Bs) in English and Maths GCSE, full stop. Some might be more accepting, but I'm fairly sure UCL will require at least a C. As for UCL's quality, it's one of the top Russell Group universities so if you can get in then it's definitely the best of your selection, if you like the content of the course you want. It'll be my first choice when I apply next year.
if for the worse case scenario, I don't get the C (or above) I'm looking for, will uni's completely dismiss on them ground alone?

UCL seems appealing, but don't know how good this uni is compared to others regarding what I want to do.

'All programmes require GCSE or equivalent passes in English Language and Mathematics at grade C or higher. '

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements
Reply 6
Thanks peeps. Haven't mentioned a fail in Maths in GCSSE level to any Uni's I have contacted - just how I did in my Access Course. UCL, Lancaster and Leicester have all pretty much said theyd accept me. This is what I got in my access course, dunno if this would get me into a good uni, but like above has said, I need to carry on this nightly GCSE Maths course to 'up' it. Access Grades:

English Language 1 : Credit : 9 Level Three Grade : Distinction
English Language 2 : Credit : 9 Level Three Grade : Distinction
English Literature 1 : Credit : 9 Level Three Grade : Distinction
English Literature 2 : Credit : 9 Level Three Grade : Distinction
HE Toolbox : Credit : 6 Level Three Grade : Pass
Psychology 1 : Credit : 9 Level Three Grade : Pass
Psychology 2 : Credit : 9 Level Three Grade : Pass

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending