The Student Room Group

Gapy Year Help - Courier? RealGap? Work? Solo?

So all my friends are sending off their personal statements and i'm here wondering what to do in my Gap Year. I've had a few ideas but I need some help! If I could have my own way I would travel without a company but with a small group of friends, going round as cheap as we can be and rock climbing all around the world.

Seeing as this isn't going to happen I though maybe working half the year as a courier with canvas/eurocamp etc etc however they are usually limited to Europe and include a lot of work on little pay. I could sign up to a trip on RealGap / STA Travel or something like that, but it is expensive and has mixed reviews. There is always travelling alone but as a 18yo girl who hasn't done much travelling before I don't think it would be smart.

What did you do on your gap year? Or what are you planning on doing?
Any advice would be great! Thanksss
Reply 1
I don't think travelling alone is that bad an idea. Start off somewhere reasonably English speaking/any other languages you speak and developed, where there will be plenty other travellers, preferably with hostels. Maybe you'll never go to any other sort of place this year, that's fine since you can travel again later so you don't need to do it all now. But it'll be easiest on you- less culture shock, less faff with transport, easy to meet people- so you'll enjoy it easier and it'll build your confidence for travelling more alone later.

Quick Reply

Latest