The Student Room Group

Do universities look at BTECs?

Obviously if you are applying with BTECs alone they do, but I have done a BTEC in fashion and am doing another in graphics, both part-time alongside 3 A2 subjects. When I sent my UCAS application I had put that my BTECs were only awards, but I received the certificate yesterday and it says the qualification is actually the BTEC certificate, which would raise the UCAS points from the course from 26 to 52. This doesn't sound like a lot but since I'm doing 2 courses it would make quite a difference. I asked the head of sixth form about it and was told that unis don't even consider extra-curricular qualifications if you have A Levels, but the course I'm applying for goes by UCAS points rather than grades so it could make quite a difference to me. Do you think I should email the universities I've applied to / UCAS to tell them about the change or just leave it?
Reply 1
Original post by coffeeandcats
Obviously if you are applying with BTECs alone they do, but I have done a BTEC in fashion and am doing another in graphics, both part-time alongside 3 A2 subjects. When I sent my UCAS application I had put that my BTECs were only awards, but I received the certificate yesterday and it says the qualification is actually the BTEC certificate, which would raise the UCAS points from the course from 26 to 52. This doesn't sound like a lot but since I'm doing 2 courses it would make quite a difference. I asked the head of sixth form about it and was told that unis don't even consider extra-curricular qualifications if you have A Levels, but the course I'm applying for goes by UCAS points rather than grades so it could make quite a difference to me. Do you think I should email the universities I've applied to / UCAS to tell them about the change or just leave it?

Given that music (and drama?) grades apparently count towards UCAS points, I don't see why a university would ever ignore those contributed by BTECs which you are doing alongside your A-levels. Plus does that mean that your head of sixth thinks that music grades and random subject-related 'extra-curricular qualifications' never make any difference to your overall application? I'm afraid I think he/she is talking out of his/her arse. You could possibly contact UCAS and see if they can change it (I have no idea if this is something they can or would do), or contact the uni(s) in question to let them know.
Reply 2

they will count all qualifications that are level 3 and hold UCAS points no matter how many you take
Original post by yt7777
they will count all qualifications that are level 3 and hold UCAS points no matter how many you take

I agree.
Especially if- like in your case- they go on ucas points rather than grades, everything counts.
Thanks, but if I email them saying I made a mistake then they might think I'm a bit of an idiot? Unless I explained that the college told me I was doing an award for the whole year, like they did. :frown:
Reply 5
Thanks, but if I email them saying I made a mistake then they might think I'm a bit of an idiot? Unless I explained that the college told me I was doing an award for the whole year, like they did. :frown:

You don't have to make out it was you being stupid. You can just say that there is a mistake on your form - your college informed you all that it was an award but it has become evident since getting the certificates that it was a... certificate. :biggrin: Try not to do it in too much of a 'yes, they're morons' way, since they may think it's inappropriate or somewhat untrue (though I'm sure they deal with teachers making stupid cock-ups all the time), but certainly don't make yourself out to be feckless when you're not.

You could contact UCAS directly first, before contacting the universities you apply to, or phrase it that you chose the wrong qualification by accident. No-one will be annoyed with you over an honest mistake, but you do need to make an effort to correct it.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You could contact UCAS directly first, before contacting the universities you apply to, or phrase it that you chose the wrong qualification by accident. No-one will be annoyed with you over an honest mistake, but you do need to make an effort to correct it.

My college did tell me I was doing the award though, so I stated that nicely in my email, and explained how I only realised it was the Certificate when I received the qualification certificate in the post yesterday and it said 'Certificate' rather than 'Award'. :smile:
My college did tell me I was doing the award though, so I stated that nicely in my email, and explained how I only realised it was the Certificate when I received the qualification certificate in the post yesterday and it said 'Certificate' rather than 'Award'. :smile:

If, on results day, the qualifications you have don't quite match up with those you've listed on your UCAS form, it can cause a delay in matching the results to your application, which in turn can delay getting your offer confirmed. So long as you've contacted them and explained the situation, everything will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending