The Student Room Group

Help me sort out this dilemma! Urgent!

I'm not very good at narrating stories, or writing in general for that matter, but I'll try my best :biggrin:

Basically, I met my offer to study Physics at Imperial this year, with the insurance of Warwick. For some reason, now sort of obscure to me, I decided to reject these offers and take a gap year, to reapply next year. I've lived a pretty sheltered life, so I thought I'd go out and see the world for a bit and gain some independence - plus I felt I wasn't ready for meeting everyone at uni. Now I feel like I've made a TERRIBLE mistake missing out on university life and being a year behind in everything. Luckily both Imperial and Warwick have guaraunteed me places to study there next year though, so I guess there's that.

I made a late application to the Year In Industry in the hopes of having a good career-oriented thing to do, but it's pretty unlikely now that I'll get a placement. My ideal situation was that I'd get into some good experience with a firm in a science/engineering/finance type industry, so the year would at least be used productively with regard to my CV.

In the midst of my panic I emailed like 10universities asking whether I could be let in - Leeds said yes. I can join their theoretical physics course if I tell them by tomorrow :eek:. If I do then I'd go into Imperial/Warwick after my first year at Leeds, but it seems like it'd be a waste redoing a year just for engagement. My parents say they'll manage financial side of things though, that's the advantage of being middle class I guess.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Some insight would be helpful I guess!
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do you suddenly want to go to Uni?

If I were you I would take the gap year, I know it's hard seeing all your friends on fb going out and doing the uni thing but you don't want to make the wrong decision so maybe a year out is best for you.

If you were to go to Leeds would that mean you starting again from year 1 at Imperial/Warwick because then you've just wasted a year which could be used in getting something to bump up your CV and make you stand out a bit from other graduates in the future. If not and you join in year 2 then it might be wise to consider the social aspect of it all as most people will already be in friendship groups and you'd have to try to slot in somewhere you'd also have to think about accommodation, would you live in halls or find a place with some other people.

Not only this but the teaching style and the way things work are likely to be different at different universities so that would be something else to get used to. I think if you're going to do one degree it would be easier to do it at the same place, would staying on at Leeds be an option?

Don't worry about being a year behind, half of my flatmates are a year behind but we didn't even realise until we asked about each others birthdays!

Basically you've just got to do what's right for you but once you've decided one way or the other you'll feel a lot better about it all.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by pink.flamingo
Why do you suddenly want to go to Uni?

If I were you I would take the gap year, I know it's hard seeing all your friends on fb going out and doing the uni thing but you don't want to make the wrong decision so maybe a year out is best for you.

If you were to go to Leeds would that mean you starting again from year 1 at Imperial/Warwick because then you've just wasted a year which could be used in getting something to bump up your CV and make you stand out a bit from other graduates in the future. If not and you join in year 2 then it might be wise to consider the social aspect of it all as most people will already be in friendship groups and you'd have to try to slot in somewhere you'd also have to think about accommodation, would you live in halls or find a place with some other people.

Not only this but the teaching style and the way things work are likely to be different at different universities so that would be something else to get used to. I think if you're going to do one degree it would be easier to do it at the same place, would staying on at Leeds be an option?

Don't worry about being a year behind, half of my flatmates are a year behind but we didn't even realise until we asked about each others birthdays!

Basically you've just got to do what's right for you but once you've decided one way or the other you'll feel a lot better about it all.

Good luck :smile:

I don't know haha, I think it would've been better taking a year after uni. It's just the uncertainty of having nothing to do really, I could just get a job but I'd prefer a technical internship or something. I'm already feeling like I just want to skip to next year till I start uni, doesn't seem like a good thing! If I stayed on at leeds I'd probably keep feeling like I could have done better, so I don't think that's an option. It's reassuring to know there's people who are a year behind though, is it that common? Thanks for helping anyways :smile:
I don't see the point in going to Leeds for a year. Why waste your time when it isn't where you want to be? Believe me, it isn't the end of the world if you don't go to uni at the same time as your friends. Most of my high school class graduated in 2009. Me? I'm hopefully starting next year. Besides, taking a year out, you could work and save money. Travel a bit. The options are endless.
Go to Leeds, party all year for the first year, then go to Imperial/Warwick, still partying but take the course more seriously.
Reply 5
Sorry mate I can't phone Emma
Original post by starkchild
I don't know haha, I think it would've been better taking a year after uni. It's just the uncertainty of having nothing to do really, I could just get a job but I'd prefer a technical internship or something. I'm already feeling like I just want to skip to next year till I start uni, doesn't seem like a good thing! If I stayed on at leeds I'd probably keep feeling like I could have done better, so I don't think that's an option. It's reassuring to know there's people who are a year behind though, is it that common? Thanks for helping anyways :smile:

You said you emailed 10 Uni's in a panic, hence the option of going to Leeds, but have you emailed any companies asking about work experience or an internship or something? Maybe if you do that and get some reply's, either way you'll know if that's a possibility for this year :smile:
Reply 7
You said you emailed 10 Uni's in a panic, hence the option of going to Leeds, but have you emailed any companies asking about work experience or an internship or something? Maybe if you do that and get some reply's, either way you'll know if that's a possibility for this year :smile:

Yeah I'm currently still hanging in with the year in industry, hopefully something will come up. Seems unlikely that they'd have a place for a random emailer though haha. I'm thinking of going to Leeds for one term, you pay the tuition fees in £3000 chunks right? Idk, seems stupid though. If I'm emailing a company would I attach a CV or would I just ask if there's any work available?
If I'm emailing a company would I attach a CV or would I just ask if there's any work available?

Yes why not? Look at the company's website and see there are any employment opportunities. If not then you could email their HR department (or whatever contact email is on their page) asking if there are any vacancies. Yes it is a good idea to attach a CV too.
Yeah I'm currently still hanging in with the year in industry, hopefully something will come up. Seems unlikely that they'd have a place for a random emailer though haha. I'm thinking of going to Leeds for one term, you pay the tuition fees in £3000 chunks right? Idk, seems stupid though. If I'm emailing a company would I attach a CV or would I just ask if there's any work available?

You'd be surprised, some places offer work experience on their websites and stuff so you might find something by email :smile:
I'd try to make it as professional as possible, so having a cover letter explaining what you want and why you'd be useful and then a CV with your qualifications and interests etc.

I'm not sure how the tuition fees are paid as the university does them directly but is there really any point for just a term?
Reply 10
You'd be surprised, some places offer work experience on their websites and stuff so you might find something by email :smile:
I'd try to make it as professional as possible, so having a cover letter explaining what you want and why you'd be useful and then a CV with your qualifications and interests etc.

I'm not sure how the tuition fees are paid as the university does them directly but is there really any point for just a term?

I'll start on writing a CV tomorrow :smile:. I just feel like if I went to Leeds, at least there'd be friends, fun, education, you know, some sort of structure to life. I'd be on a path again, you know?
I'll start on writing a CV tomorrow :smile:. I just feel like if I went to Leeds, at least there'd be friends, fun, education, you know, some sort of structure to life. I'd be on a path again, you know?

I honestly do know what you mean. I started Uni this year after a bit of a wobble during the summer when I wondered if I was doing the right thing. People reassured me this was normal and I thought I'd better go with it, but as it turns out I'm going to withdraw soon as it wasn't the right decision/course/time for me. A year doesn't make too much of a difference, if you can find a placement then you'll meet new people and have a structure again.

Another thing I've just thought of is that future employers might look upon a term at Leeds and question why you didn't stick at it. And if you were only there for a term what would your structure be for the rest of the year and who would you go out with when you got back home?
Reply 12
Honestly, I'd see it as a chance to enjoy your first proper year of adulthood and get a job, whether it be related to you career choice or not, save a bit of money... and also have a good time/go on holiday! #clichesrule
I'm not very good at narrating stories, or writing in general for that matter, but I'll try my best :biggrin:

Basically, I met my offer to study Physics at Imperial this year, with the insurance of Warwick. For some reason, now sort of obscure to me, I decided to reject these offers and take a gap year, to reapply next year. I've lived a pretty sheltered life, so I thought I'd go out and see the world for a bit and gain some independence - plus I felt I wasn't ready for meeting everyone at uni. Now I feel like I've made a TERRIBLE mistake missing out on university life and being a year behind in everything. Luckily both Imperial and Warwick have guaraunteed me places to study there next year though, so I guess there's that.

I made a late application to the Year In Industry in the hopes of having a good career-oriented thing to do, but it's pretty unlikely now that I'll get a placement. My ideal situation was that I'd get into some good experience with a firm in a science/engineering/finance type industry, so the year would at least be used productively with regard to my CV.

In the midst of my panic I emailed like 10universities asking whether I could be let in - Leeds said yes. I can join their theoretical physics course if I tell them by tomorrow :eek:. If I do then I'd go into Imperial/Warwick after my first year at Leeds, but it seems like it'd be a waste redoing a year just for engagement. My parents say they'll manage financial side of things though, that's the advantage of being middle class I guess.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Some insight would be helpful I guess!

You took a gap year so enjoy it or waste it, where are you rushing exactly? Calm the **** down & don't pussy out of it, go abroad or something.

And already planning to go to one uni just to later leave it for another, seems idiotic, however you should be able to transfer some credits and do less time at other universities that you choose to go to later.

Quick Reply

Latest