The Student Room Group

Withdraw from UNI

Dear All,

I am desperate mature student who wants to witdraw from his course.

Last three years were devoted of saving money for the course where I am studying now. And here I am.

I thought I will be really enjoyed in it, but the reality is different. I am international student and the knowledge gap between me and my class mates is huge. I feel really stupid among them. I have relevant background though.

My depression is too deep. I am supressed. I STRUGGLE with the course. I joined the students clubs but I feel even more depressed.

I have never been so depressed. I think that I should withdraw.

Regards:

Antonov.
If you really don't like it and it's not relevant to a career you want then personally I would withdraw. How long have you been there because it might just be a case of having to adjust to a new environment with new people and a new structure for doing things. Don't worry about the knowledge gap as much because they have probably just come out of education and it will still be clear in their minds, after a while you'll catch up and you'll all be learning new things so will be in it together.

If you are seriously depressed then you should talk to a University councillor and see what they say and you could try talking to your tutor as well, they know how to handle this sort of thing and what advice to give.

If all else fails were you happy before University then could you go back to doing what you were doing then?

Hope this is of some help :smile:
Reply 2
Hello Pink Flamingo.

I was at the student counsellor and she advised me just general things. I know that I should join the university clubs. And I did it. But my depression is very deep. I take antidepressants and no results yet.

I was just allocated with a tutor and we will speak in two days.

Yes, the classmates are better trained than myself.

I wanted to study this course, saved money for it and thought I will be very happy. Today I am the most miserable person.

Thank you for your attention.
I've moved this to uni life for you :smile:
It sounds like you've worked really hard to be there so maybe give it another couple of weeks and see if it the depression starts to go, it would be a shame if this was a passing feeling and you lost the opportunity.

Wait and see what your tutor has to say because that might be very useful and if it's not right withdrawing is always an option and if you still have some of the money then you could try a different course next year if you wanted to.
Reply 5
Pink Flamingo, I have great amount of my savings left, it is not late yet, but I definitely need to take a decision soon.
Once you make decision either way you should feel a bit better about it, you've just got to make sure it's the right decision for you :smile:
Original post by antonov
Hello Pink Flamingo.

I was at the student counsellor and she advised me just general things. I know that I should join the university clubs. And I did it. But my depression is very deep. I take antidepressants and no results yet.

I was just allocated with a tutor and we will speak in two days.

Yes, the classmates are better trained than myself.

I wanted to study this course, saved money for it and thought I will be very happy. Today I am the most miserable person.

Thank you for your attention.

Just so you know most antidepressants take at least 6 weeks to work and it may be a while before you find the right one for you. I'm still searching for the right drug five years later...
Reply 8
The thought of drop-out is frightening me. I will feel it like a failure, giving up on, and showing weaknesses in a moment when I had to be strong. Whatever happen with me, I really hope I won't regret after.
Do you think you would've been accepted onto the course if they thought you could not do it with your background? It just means that you need to work extra hard for this year at least to fill the gap and get used to uni life.
Reply 10
Talk to your doctor if the anti-depressants they have prescribed don't seem to be working, they may be able to prescribe something different or other treatment such as counselling.
If you feel that you cannot keep up with your studies speak to a member of the academic staff, ideally your tutor or course convenor. They should be able to help you to identify where the academic problems lie and what is the best way to deal with them.
If you're not sure who to go to have a word with the welfare officer at your students union. They will help you to find the right person to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending