The Student Room Group

C1 and progress towards S.T.E.P and A.E.A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The students who are finding these papers easy? Did you start c1 book in September? Cause I did and its a shocker to me
Reply 41
Original post by Coerce
The students who are finding these papers easy? Did you start c1 book in September? Cause I did and its a shocker to me

Do you mean "the C1 book is a shocker" or "the test paper being discussed here is a shocker, given that I've only just started C1"? :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by davros
Do you mean "the C1 book is a shocker" or "the test paper being discussed here is a shocker, given that I've only just started C1"? :smile:

the test, tbh I haven't had the easiest start to c1 not fully understood most concepts, and going to have to make up in the week of my holidays
Original post by Coerce

Yah the edexcel one, dw I found it difficult a bit around the start but there will be a shift when everything will become really easy. if ur gcse foundations are solid then u will be fine. If not recap a* gcse stuff properly. I got 100 in c1 and so did many others in my class(I'm not boasting as c1 100 is not that big of an achievement as everyone gets it) just keep on practising

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Coerce
the test, tbh I haven't had the easiest start to c1 not fully understood most concepts, and going to have to make up in the week of my holidays

You really need to hit the ground running with C1 i.e. having complete command of GCSE material as physicsmaths says. A lot of students forget GCSE stuff in the hols and then get a nasty shock when starting C1! But you have plenty of time to recover.
Original post by physicsmaths
Yah the edexcel one, dw I found it difficult a bit around the start but there will be a shift when everything will become really easy. if ur gcse foundations are solid then u will be fine. If not recap a* gcse stuff properly. I got 100 in c1 and so did many others in my class(I'm not boasting as c1 100 is not that big of an achievement as everyone gets it) just keep on practising

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly the modal mark for Edexcel's C1 this summer was 75 (100 UMS).
Original post by tiny hobbit

lol really ?? Wow c1 was a joke this year, I think they made up with it in fp3 fp2 and m1 though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47

!!!!!!!!! MODAL MARK 75/75 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE you sure?
Original post by TeeEm

ARE you sure?

Have u seen the paper. It was a joke. Literally mental arithmetic a good gcse student could get 100 with differentiation and integration skills

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Have u seen the paper. It was a joke. Literally mental arithmetic a good gcse student could get 100 with differentiation and integration skills

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been involved to one capacity or another with every board in the UK except CIE and MEI. (even with boards which are now defunct).

The mean mark for a typical C1 (or its predessesor P1) would have a mean of around 50% with SD around 20%. These can vary of course.

More advanced modules usually have higher means and smaller SD.

But modal mark of 75? ( do you know that the average fail rate at AS maths is 45% this is actually has slightly increased in recent years?)

Clearly you are very lucky if you find maths easy.
lol really ?? Wow c1 was a joke this year, I think they made up with it in fp3 fp2 and m1 though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TeeEm

ARE you sure?

Yes really. Information sent out by Graham (he of the Edexcel Maths Emporium) on A level results today.

He had a money-making suggestion for Maths teachers:
"Graham's money making scheme for teachers: Get your good C1 students together and ask them each to bet a pound on whether they achieved more marks than the national mean; you'll probably have to pay out on that one. Then ask them to bet five pounds on whether they scored more than the national median mark - you'll most likely have to pay out on that as well. Then ask them to bet ten pounds on whether they scored more than the national modal mark; your students are on a roll now and as long as they don't smell a rat, you'll clean up. Plus your students will have had a useful lesson on the different sorts of averages and on being hustled.

This will also work with FP1, M2 and M3 students."
See the post above.

I saw - there were 3 questions that 25% or fewer gained full marks on so it was not as straightforward as all that
Yes really. Information sent out by Graham (he of the Edexcel Maths Emporium) on A level results today.

"Graham's money making scheme for teachers: Get your good C1 students together and ask them each to bet a pound on whether they achieved more marks than the national mean; you'll probably have to pay out on that one. Then ask them to bet five pounds on whether they scored more than the national median mark - you'll most likely have to pay out on that as well. Then ask them to bet ten pounds on whether they scored more than the national modal mark; your students are on a roll now and as long as they don't smell a rat, you'll clean up. Plus your students will have had a useful lesson on the different sorts of averages and on being hustled.

By modal mark is that the most frequent mark achieved???

Posted from TSR Mobile
By modal mark is that the most frequent mark achieved???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by TenOfThem
I saw - there were 3 questions that 25% or fewer gained full marks on so it was not as straightforward as all that

No, but remember that all of the first year further mathematicians were doing it because there were no January exams.
Reply 55

I am not a statistician so I will stand corrected on this!

It is ludicrous to discuss mode on a distribution that can take 101 different values (0% to 100%)

Example

65% is achieved by 17825 pupils
91% is achieved by 17822 pupils
77% is achieved by 17279 pupils
etc

four of the students that got 65% have their papers remarked and now have respective marks 69%, 68%, 64% and 66%.

After this the mode has changed from 65% to 91%.

Maybe Mr Cummings wanted to inject a bit of humour into the otherwise dull world of preparing ans assessing exams.
No, but remember that all of the first year further mathematicians were doing it because there were no January exams.

True
Original post by TenOfThem
True

around 10 people in school got 100 in c1 even though everyone flopped the rest c1 was very successful wasnt the same in the ither modules though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathMeister
yh.. it's so darn hard! all those complex methods r just so hard to understand.

init quadratics and linear equations! oh my days like how the hell does all of this shizzle work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
It is ludicrous to discuss mode on a distribution that can take 101 different values (0% to 100%)

Maybe Mr Cummings wanted to inject a bit of humour into the otherwise dull world of preparing and assessing exams.

Only 76 values since marks of 0 to 75 can only translate to 76 different UMS values.

The percentage for 75 was about 4.7%. The next lowest, for 70 and 72 I think, since the graph's "horizontal" scale isn't brilliant, was about 3.5%. So 75 marks is comfortably the mode.

And yes, Mr Cummings does like to keep teachers entertained. Have you read his Christmas messages? They are good value.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest