The Student Room Group

Help! Wanted: "Cheap" unis

Hey guys,

I bet there already is a similar thread somewhere, but I didn't manage to find it.. Anyway, I'm currently completing my B.Sc. in Germany and want to do my masters in the UK on from next year, either in Psychology or in a Management or International Relations related field. My marks are not the problem, but money is..
My government would pay fees up to 4000 GBP, and i cannot afford much more. Does anyone know good unis that aren't too expensive? Or maybe unis that offer bursaries that apply automatically if you have good grades (currently I have 1.2, which is 1st in UK, I guess?)?

Thank you soo much already! :smile:
Nora
Reply 1
Most MA courses in Psychology or International Relations costs at least £6000-9000 for home/EU students. You can get a study loan from your bank to make up the difference. Management courses cost more. Some unis offer 1/2 bursaries for excellent home students. But demand > supply and it is not automatic.

Otherwise go to Ireland or Holland.
My advise would be to work for a year.
Reply 3
I'm actually just wanting to know if anyone has some tips for good and affordable unis - for exampe, I found some nice programmes in York, Newcastle and Belfast so far, but I'd be grateful for more options :smile:
Reply 4
Basically what Tcannon and Nathanielle said, but being from Germany I know that you need a Master to stand any chance in the job market.

Your grade is excellent, but in what is it?

If it's not in psychology, then you'd be looking at a psychology conversion degree.

If it's not in management or business related, well there are some programmes who would take you on, though personally I'd question these type of programmes, there's no chance you learn a fair amount of management theories and concepts in just one year - and they're anyway more practical if you have relevant work experience.

For international relations, it doesn't seem to matter much as long as you'd have done some kind of social sciences type of degree (incl. political sciences, psychology and I'd have business management).

Personally, I wouldn't go to Belfast or Newcastle. For International Relations, if I remember correctly Aberystwyth is pretty good but again not a city I'd want to go.

For management, outside London (probably too expensive for you anyway): Warwick, Strathclyde, Manchester, Durham, Manchester, Bath, Bradford, Lancaster, Leeds are decent enough - I'd also throw in Cardiff, though they only just started a programme in International Management. Cardiff is also a relatively good option for international relations and psychology.
Reply 5
Hey c2uk, thanks already! My B.Sc. is in Psychology, but I'd rather want to do something more interdisciplinary for my masters, that's why I got to Belfast, for example. However, I'm curious why you wouldn't go there? Since I have never really been to the UK I don't know much about unis' reputations either, always eager to learn something new about that :wink:.
But I'm definitely gonna check the other ones again!
Reply 6
Original post by NoraKim
Hey c2uk, thanks already! My B.Sc. is in Psychology, but I'd rather want to do something more interdisciplinary for my masters

then ignore psychology at Cardiff unless you want to do Neuroscience which is really big at Cardiff.

Original post by NoraKim
that's why I got to Belfast, for example. However, I'm curious why you wouldn't go there? Since I have never really been to the UK I don't know much about unis' reputations either, always eager to learn something new about that :wink:.

It's not about the reputation, it's about the city in this case. I lived in a fair few places in the UK (Brighton, Edinburgh, Cambridge and Cardiff) and am myself from Germany. The UK definitely needs some getting used to, so I would go to a city that has a few things to offer (Edinburgh for example) but I wouldn't go too far North (too dark and depressing in the winter, again Edinburgh is a big downer).
Original post by c2uk
Basically what Tcannon and Nathanielle said, but being from Germany I know that you need a Master to stand any chance in the job market.

Yeah, but she would only work with the aim to fund a degree in the UK, so she would not need a graduate job. Or she could try to find work in the UK directly, although it should be easier to safe up money staying at home.

Original post by NoraKim
Hey c2uk, thanks already! My B.Sc. is in Psychology, but I'd rather want to do something more interdisciplinary for my masters, that's why I got to Belfast, for example. However, I'm curious why you wouldn't go there? Since I have never really been to the UK I don't know much about unis' reputations either, always eager to learn something new about that :wink:.
But I'm definitely gonna check the other ones again!

You should ask yourself, what you want to do later with that degree, otherwise you will have a lot of trouble for nothing and may close doors, because you might end up with a totally unrelated Master you doesn't lead to a career either.

Wether you are interested to use your psychology degree in the context of international international relations or want to work in human resources or ... And depending on that, you might also get more detailed answers, where to do your Master. As a Master in the UK takes only one year, you won't have the time to reflect much during your degree. Although you can then allways go back to Germany to do a free Master, I would think twice before embarking on a degree, you are not really convinced to be the right one.
The problem you will find is a number of universities ourselves included charge increased fees for international students, however you may want to have a look at international scholarships and see if any of these take your fancy, it may also be worth finding a big employer in Germany who will fund your masters and then take you on afterwards, good luck!
Reply 9
Aston Uni also charges steep tuition to home students and many can't afford Master's courses.

Original post by Aston University
The problem you will find is a number of universities ourselves included charge increased fees for international students, however you may want to have a look at international scholarships and see if any of these take your fancy, it may also be worth finding a big employer in Germany who will fund your masters and then take you on afterwards, good luck!
Original post by Tcannon
Aston Uni also charges steep tuition to home students and many can't afford Master's courses.

We actually charge a similar rate to everyone else, the problem with accessing masters courses is it's far harder to find funding. If you could have a government funded student loan then a lot more people would have masters but it's a catch 22, if everyone has a masters no one has a masters.
Original post by NoraKim
Hey guys,

I bet there already is a similar thread somewhere, but I didn't manage to find it.. Anyway, I'm currently completing my B.Sc. in Germany and want to do my masters in the UK on from next year, either in Psychology or in a Management or International Relations related field. My marks are not the problem, but money is..
My government would pay fees up to 4000 GBP, and i cannot afford much more. Does anyone know good unis that aren't too expensive? Or maybe unis that offer bursaries that apply automatically if you have good grades (currently I have 1.2, which is 1st in UK, I guess?)?

Thank you soo much already! :smile:
Nora

Maybe Scotland? I think Scotland is popular amongst EU for the fees because EU students pay same fees as Scots which is usually 0 but i'm not sure if this applies for post-grad as well. Look it up though. St Andrews does have a great IR program, so consider that for sure if you are thinking IR. Lots of German students in St Andrews.
Reply 12
Original post by Aston University

Wait, are you seriously charging an EU citizen more than a UK citizen. This person has likely lived their whole life in Germany and done their undergraduate degree there.

Original post by Okorange
Maybe Scotland? I think Scotland is popular amongst EU for the fees because EU students pay same fees as Scots which is usually 0 but i'm not sure if this applies for post-grad as well. Look it up though. St Andrews does have a great IR program, so consider that for sure if you are thinking IR. Lots of German students in St Andrews.

It doesn't apply to postgrad, some programmes are cheaper though:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/pgstudents/money/tuitionfees/pg14/2014-2015entrants/

St. Andrews is a great university, but it's very dull otherwise.
Original post by c2uk
Wait, are you seriously charging an EU citizen more than a UK citizen. This person has likely lived their whole life in Germany and done their undergraduate degree there.

It doesn't apply to postgrad, some programmes are cheaper though:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/pgstudents/money/tuitionfees/pg14/2014-2015entrants/

St. Andrews is a great university, but it's very dull otherwise.

Yeah around 4k a year thats still cheaper than most I believe. I believe St Andrews is probably a pretty dull place to spend 4 years on an undergrad degree unless what St Andrews offers (i.e. rural location, tight knit community) appeal to you, but I think its the perfect place for a 1 or 2 year masters degree. Its got just enough to keep you interested for a year or two. If you are a person who's never lived in a small town before, it might be just worth a change of scenery for a year or two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending