The Student Room Group

I got 2 D's at GCSE

Okay, posted under relationships to stay annoymous, I'm that ashamed of myself

So basically I got 3A*, 1A, 7B's and...2D's

The D's are in side subjects not in main subjects like the Sciences, Maths and English

My problem is that I'm worried that I might not be able to get into a good university (hopefully into the Russell Group) and not be able to do a good degree (hopefully Biochemistry or Chemistry)

So I'm kinda worried, will this drag me back in getting in a good university and can I do anything or is it too late? I didn't ask for a remark....:colondollar:

Oh yeah, the two subjects were Islamiyat IGCSE and Arabic....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:frown:
BUMP
Reply 2
This will not hinder your uni choices at all, you have some great grades
Short answer; it won't affect your uni choices

Most uni's require the typical above x in Maths or English, but seeing as you have that, you're fine.
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, posted under relationships to stay annoymous, I'm that ashamed of myself

So basically I got 3A*, 1A, 7B's and...2D's

The D's are in side subjects not in main subjects like the Sciences, Maths and English

My problem is that I'm worried that I might not be able to get into a good university (hopefully into the Russell Group) and not be able to do a good degree (hopefully Biochemistry or Chemistry)

So I'm kinda worried, will this drag me back in getting in a good university and can I do anything or is it too late? I didn't ask for a remark....:colondollar:

Oh yeah, the two subjectswere Islamiyat IGCSE and Arabic....

It should be fine, providing you're not applying to Oxford (which places a lot of emphasis on GCSEs). Just get great AS results and predictions and you'll be fine.
I think those grades will be fin as you have good grades in the sciences which is probably what you'll need to get to get into a science degree.
You'll be fine.
Reply 7
If its really going to bother you I just wouldn't put it on your application, but even if you did I don't see why it would hinder you because you got some really great grades! :biggrin:
I got two Ds as well, I mean it could be worse, it could have been a U!
Original post by himynameiswill
Short answer; it won't affect your uni choices

Most uni's require the typical above x in Maths or English, but seeing as you have that, you're fine.

I agree
Original post by Lottie97
If its really going to bother you I just wouldn't put it on your application, but even if you did I don't see why it would hinder you because you got some really great grades! :biggrin:

Not declaring something and ucas finding out means the application gets cancelled so its not worth the risk
Reply 10
Original post by Lottie97

I think you're required to display all grades on your USAS form. Possibly if it's a U you might not have to, but I'm pretty sure you have to display a D.
i got eef in triple science because i was really really ill before one day of the exam i have cf :frown: will that be ok i still sat the exam it was the worst time of mylife anyway i had to go to the hospital right after exams :frown:
Original post by sophiamarni
i got eef in triple science because i was really really ill before one day of the exam i have cf :frown: will that be ok i still sat the exam it was the worst time of mylife anyway i had to go to the hospital right after exams :frown:

Sorry to hear that :frown: you'll be eligible for extenuating circumstances though won't you?
Original post by claireestelle
Not declaring something and ucas finding out means the application gets cancelled so its not worth the risk

I've not applied for Uni yet so I didn't realise you couldn't declare things, I only thought you declared what you wanted to, ops :colondollar:
Original post by Seeyousoon
Sorry to hear that :frown: you'll be eligible for extenuating circumstances though won't you?

i dont know what that is, how do i get it
i dont know what that is, how do i get it

It's a form you fill out for uni (I think you can do it at many different uni's but I know that Cambridge offer it), it goes with our application. It sort-of explains why you got low grades on these particular subjects, and so that they don't hold it against you so much.
I didn't pass a single GCSE in school, most unis require only maths and English and sometimes sciences. DW
side subjects... i saw side courses... :colondollar: I'm not hungry or anything, or just had supper or anything...

OP - it depends on your university really - Oxford probably won't be a great choice for example as they look at your GCSEs but not all universities do!

Just do well at AS and A-level and some universities just won't even care about those D's...

Don't worry about them now. It's over and done with. :biggrin:
Original post by Seeyousoon
It's a form you fill out for uni (I think you can do it at many different uni's but I know that Cambridge offer it), it goes with our application. It sort-of explains why you got low grades on these particular subjects, and so that they don't hold it against you so much.

thank you my lovely i really studied hard and wanted to go to an rg uni but my illness got the better of me :frown:
thank you my lovely i really studied hard and wanted to go to an rg uni but my illness got the better of me :frown:

I want to go to a RG too, and I want to go to Cambridge (it's an ambition that I'm working towards but I would be fine to go to UCL or King's etc) and my medical conditions deprived me of most of my secondary education so I'm working hard. The ECF allows us too have a chance provided we perform very well in sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending