The Student Room Group

Which exam board to choose...

I have never been pleased with the GCSE maths grade that I got. I have just completed my degree and I am applying for jobs, but in the mean time I could also be revising to improve my GCSE grade. I am in the process of applying as a private candidate but I've been asked what exam board do I want... I have no idea.

I was wondering if there are any massive differences?

Thanks
Original post by GingerJoe
I have never been pleased with the GCSE maths grade that I got. I have just completed my degree and I am applying for jobs, but in the mean time I could also be revising to improve my GCSE grade. I am in the process of applying as a private candidate but I've been asked what exam board do I want... I have no idea.

Thanks

There are differences: in my opinion they are not massive though. Just look at the syllabuses on the websites of the main exam boards: edexcel, aqa, ocr, etc. Should be clearer then.

However, I would recommend doing edexcel IGCSE maths because:
a) all exams you are allowed a calculator.
b) two two-hour papers.
c) although it contains slightly more material it is easier to get a higher grade:
A* grade boundaries are usually low to mid 80s instead of high 80s to low 90s in regular GCSE maths papers, which is good if you are prone to silly mistakes.

Thanks

There is only one thing to consider

Which one is available at a nearby centre that allows external candidates
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
There is only one thing to consider

Which one is available at a nearby centre that allows external candidates

Both... Also they don't do iGCSE to my knowledge.
Both... Also they don't do iGCSE to my knowledge.

erm

both what?
Reply 5
Sorry, to clarify, I am able to apply to any exam board, by both I meant the two main ones, execel and AQA.
Reply 6
Anyone?
To be honest, it won't make much difference. They're regulated so they don't go crazy off board, so it'll be a somewhat similar experience either way.

If you *really* want to make an informed choice do a past paper of each of them, check what grades you got, and unless you did some flukes, go with the best one so you have a strong foothold :smile: I'd be willing to bet that if they're not within half a grade of each-other though it'll be a fluke.
Anyone?

There is no difference. Choose whichever you like.

Thanks

My secondary school did GCSE maths with Edexcel so imo you should do it with Edexcel. There are not many differences between other exam boards for maths GCSE. I am no sure about maths IGCSE.
Original post by tombayes
There are differences: in my opinion they are not massive though. Just look at the syllabuses on the websites of the main exam boards: edexcel, aqa, ocr, etc. Should be clearer then.

However, I would recommend doing edexcel IGCSE maths because:
a) all exams you are allowed a calculator.
b) two two-hour papers.
c) although it contains slightly more material it is easier to get a higher grade:
A* grade boundaries are usually low to mid 80s instead of high 80s to low 90s in regular GCSE maths papers, which is good if you are prone to silly mistakes

With regards to the bit in bold what you said is not necessarily true as grade boundaries change every year depending on how everyone else who sat the same exams did. I am just saying.

Quick Reply

Latest