The Student Room Group

Is Religious Studies a respected A level?

Is RE A level seen as a good subject by universities? Especially the russel group
Original post by natalia2544
Is RE A level seen as a good subject by universities? Especially the russel group

Yes.
Yeo
It's not considered a facilitating subject. That doesn't mean it's not 'respected' though, but most Russell Groups would suggest you have at least two facilitating subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
It's not considered a facilitating subject. That doesn't mean it's not 'respected' though, but most Russell Groups would suggest you have at least two facilitating subjects.

Right, yeah that's what I was thinking and do you know the link to the list of the facilitating subjects or 'black list' from the russel group, I can't seem to find it?
Right, yeah that's what I was thinking and do you know the link to the list of the facilitating subjects or 'black list' from the russel group, I can't seem to find it?

Facilitating subjects are on page 25!

Black list is anything with the word studies as well as ict and drama

Sociology, psychology (though less so) are respected but not facilitating

The facilitating ones are like
Maths, English lit, sciences, History, geography, mfl, econ
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Black list is anything with the word studies as well as ict and drama

Sociology, psychology (though less so) are respected but not facilitating

The facilitating ones are like
Maths, English lit, sciences, History, geography, mfl, econ

Black list is anything with the word "studies" in it, yet you just wrote that Religious Studies is a respected A Level? Also, Economics isn't facilitating.
Black list is anything with the word "studies" in it, yet you just wrote that Religious Studies is a respected A Level? Also, Economics isn't facilitating.

Philosophy and ethics

Is what I read RS as

Economics basically js
Philosophy and ethics

Is what I read RS as

Economics basically js

Well it basically isn't given that it's not on the list. Not that I've ever studied economics, but to the best of my knowledge there's basically nothing that actually requires economics, not even economics.
Well it basically isn't given that it's not on the list. Not that I've ever studied economics, but to the best of my knowledge there's basically nothing that actually requires economics, not even economics.

Yet Cambridge seem to think it's a great a level to have.

It gives you the skills to write essays with a mathematical aspect to it as well. And it also gives scope to see how mathematical principles can be used even thought they're not used in the A Level syllabus.
Reply 12

According to 'informed choices' it is directly stated that Religious Studies offers suitable preparation for University, and is respected just as much as a subject such as History or Mathematics. The reason why it's not officially included on the list is because it is not directly required for a degree programme.
Yet Cambridge seem to think it's a great a level to have.

It gives you the skills to write essays with a mathematical aspect to it as well. And it also gives scope to see how mathematical principles can be used even thought they're not used in the A Level syllabus.

Do you have a source for that?
Do you have a source for that?

Not an official one, just word from an admissions tutor, he was compsci
Not an official one, just word from an admissions tutor, he was compsci

Never heard that before, but fair enough.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations

Here economics is listed among the languages, lit, history etc. as an A list arts subject. Pretty sure it's considered a facilitating subject.
Original post by blondelocks
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations

Here economics is listed among the languages, lit, history etc. as an A list arts subject. Pretty sure it's considered a facilitating subject.

That's for Cambridge. Economics isn't listed as a facilitating subject in the list published by the Russell Group.
Reply 18
Philosophy and ethics

Is what I read RS as

Economics basically js

RS isn't at all just Philosophy and Ethics, you could be doing New Testament and Christian Theology, RS is just an umbrella term if anything
Original post by Jasey
RS isn't at all just Philosophy and Ethics, you could be doing New Testament and Christian Theology, RS is just an umbrella term if anything

In the OCR spec, it's literally just half Philosophy and half Ethics.

Quick Reply

Latest