The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help!

Hi, I just wanted to ask for the personal statement do I have to use 47 lines? I've done my second draft and currently have 46 lines. However, when I copy and paste it into UCAS it says I've used 44, is that because I haven't left a line between paragraphs?

Any help would be appreciated:smile:
Original post by szm95
Hi, I just wanted to ask for the personal statement do I have to use 47 lines? I've done my second draft and currently have 46 lines. However, when I copy and paste it into UCAS it says I've used 44, is that because I haven't left a line between paragraphs?

Any help would be appreciated:smile:

Where are you writing your draft? UCAS probably doesn't have the same line length as the program you're writing the PS in.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Where are you writing your draft? UCAS probably doesn't have the same line length as the program you're writing the PS in.

I'm using Microsoft Word
Original post by szm95
I'm using Microsoft Word

Yeah, word doesn't use the same line length as UCAS. It depends on what font and what size you're using.
Reply 4
Yeah, word doesn't use the same line length as UCAS. It depends on what font and what size you're using.

What software would you recommend? Or shall I directly type it onto UCAS?
Original post by szm95
What software would you recommend? Or shall I directly type it onto UCAS?

Word's fine, just make sure you're constantly pasting it into UCAS to make sure it's not too long.
Reply 6
Word's fine, just make sure you're constantly pasting it into UCAS to make sure it's not too long.

Do I have to use 47 lines? I don't know what else to include, don't want to ramble on.
Original post by szm95
Do I have to use 47 lines? I don't know what else to include, don't want to ramble on.

No. You are advised to use up as much as the line/character limit as possible (if you find yourself running out of things to say, I'd be slightly worried) but you definitely don't have to.
Reply 8
No. You are advised to use up as much as the line/character limit as possible (if you find yourself running out of things to say, I'd be slightly worried) but you definitely don't have to.

That's fine as I've used 46 lines. This is my second draft just getting it read by people I know. Thanks for your help :smile:
You really should have spaces between paras and that should help you with your line count.
Reply 10
Original post by alleycat393
You really should have spaces between paras and that should help you with your line count.

Spaces between paragraphs on Word or UCAS?
You need spaces between paras in your final application. As you're editing your statement in Word keep pasting it in UCAS to see how much space you've used.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending