The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Creative Writing MA (Sheffield)

Hi

Any advice for applying to the Creative Writing course for 2015? I am working on my application piece at the moment, but any tips on the application or what to expect will be helpful. I am aware that an application to this course is literally a shot in the dark - they might like my writing or think its absolutely mediocre
Original post by dbose
Hi

Any advice for applying to the Creative Writing course for 2015? I am working on my application piece at the moment, but any tips on the application or what to expect will be helpful. I am aware that an application to this course is literally a shot in the dark - they might like my writing or think its absolutely mediocre

Hi,

I studied the Creative Writing MA in 2012-13 so am happy to answer any questions you might have!

If the application is still the same, you'll have to submit a 2000 word portfolio of creative work plus a personal statement. I applied for the fiction side of the course as my poetry is terrible (although you can take both fiction and poetry modules if you wish - the course is structured so that you take either both the fiction or both the poetry modules, plus two additional modules of your choosing, either the two creative writing modules you're not already studying or modules from the English Literature side of the course, which is what I did).

In my portfolio I included four pieces, two short prose pieces and two extracts from longer works (one of which I went on to use as the basis for my dissertation). I already had all the pieces written from previous projects so just did some minor edits when putting the portfolio together, but my friend who applied the year after me wrote a couple of pieces especially for his portfolio, so it's up to you whether you include existing pieces or write something new.

I don't want to tempt fate, but providing your writing is half-decent/ shows promise, then you have a good chance of being accepted onto the course. They are pretty objective when it comes to genre and things like that, so don't feel like you have to be crazy experimental or boundary pushing in your application - I write pretty straightforward fantasy YA fiction and I got accepted no problem. The whole point of the course is to improve your writing and get it to a publishable standard, so they won't be expecting you to be at this level in your application.

It's an amazing course, I found it incredibly beneficial to my writing and it actually gave me the confidence to consider pursuing writing professionally (I'm currently working on a novel). I still meet up with the people from my course every fortnight to chat about what we're working on and to give each other feedback. The Creative Writing community around the department is great too, a really great mix of people - plus, they let you hang around once you graduate :wink:

I hope that helps, if you have any questions about the course (modules, tutors, all that jazz) then let me know.

Regards,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

I studied the Creative Writing MA in 2012-13 so am happy to answer any questions you might have!

If the application is still the same, you'll have to submit a 2000 word portfolio of creative work plus a personal statement. I applied for the fiction side of the course as my poetry is terrible (although you can take both fiction and poetry modules if you wish - the course is structured so that you take either both the fiction or both the poetry modules, plus two additional modules of your choosing, either the two creative writing modules you're not already studying or modules from the English Literature side of the course, which is what I did).

In my portfolio I included four pieces, two short prose pieces and two extracts from longer works (one of which I went on to use as the basis for my dissertation). I already had all the pieces written from previous projects so just did some minor edits when putting the portfolio together, but my friend who applied the year after me wrote a couple of pieces especially for his portfolio, so it's up to you whether you include existing pieces or write something new.

I don't want to tempt fate, but providing your writing is half-decent/ shows promise, then you have a good chance of being accepted onto the course. They are pretty objective when it comes to genre and things like that, so don't feel like you have to be crazy experimental or boundary pushing in your application - I write pretty straightforward fantasy YA fiction and I got accepted no problem. The whole point of the course is to improve your writing and get it to a publishable standard, so they won't be expecting you to be at this level in your application.

It's an amazing course, I found it incredibly beneficial to my writing and it actually gave me the confidence to consider pursuing writing professionally (I'm currently working on a novel). I still meet up with the people from my course every fortnight to chat about what we're working on and to give each other feedback. The Creative Writing community around the department is great too, a really great mix of people - plus, they let you hang around once you graduate :wink:

I hope that helps, if you have any questions about the course (modules, tutors, all that jazz) then let me know.

Regards,

Thank you for the advice!

I've already heard great things about the course and I'm looking forward to being a part of it. I'm just a little paranoid that my application piece might not be good enough. I've been working on a short story that I'd written a couple of years back and its literally in its 5th draft at the moment and I still don't think its good enough. Unfortunately, the subjectivity of this kind of an application makes the situation even harder to assess.

Also if you don't mind me asking, I'm applying from India and my stories obviously have a strong Indian cultural influence and I'm not sure if they will be universal enough for a reader here to identify with.
Original post by dbose
Thank you for the advice!

I've already heard great things about the course and I'm looking forward to being a part of it. I'm just a little paranoid that my application piece might not be good enough. I've been working on a short story that I'd written a couple of years back and its literally in its 5th draft at the moment and I still don't think its good enough. Unfortunately, the subjectivity of this kind of an application makes the situation even harder to assess.

Also if you don't mind me asking, I'm applying from India and my stories obviously have a strong Indian cultural influence and I'm not sure if they will be universal enough for a reader here to identify with.

Hi,

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much - you've clearly put a lot of effort into reworking it and a lot of thought into its development. I've known people who start the course with what I wouldn't necessarily describe as the most polished of writing styles, so I do not think they are too stringent when it comes to the acceptance process. From my experience, so long as you've shown potential in your portfolio and a passion for writing in your personal statement, they will accept you. (Also - everyone is always very self-critical and thinks their writing isn't enough, so you're not alone there!)

And, if anything, I think the cultural element to your work will be to your advantage. It will make your work stand out and will make it a more interesting read for the course leaders and your classmates. I've known a few international students study creative writing, one of whom is a PhD student who writes very culturally specific stories (at least, that's what I've heard her present a readings) and I've always enjoyed her work immensely, even though it's very different to what I know and how I write. You don't have to be "universal" in your writing, as you put it - half the joy of reading is discovering new worlds and perspectives that would otherwise be inaccessible to you.
Reply 4
You're a legend!

Original post by dbose
You're a legend!

No problem, any more questions just let me know :smile:
Reply 6
I have two more questions (sorry for the trouble)

Firstly, I understand that I have provide the University with my IELTS score but unfortunately I won't be able to sit for them till December (next available dates). However, I would like to apply as soon as possible but would it hinder my application process if I apply now and provide them with my IELTS score once I've received them in January?

The other thing is that neither of my academic references are associated with my former schools any longer. Will this be an issue?
Original post by dbose
I have two more questions (sorry for the trouble)

Firstly, I understand that I have provide the University with my IELTS score but unfortunately I won't be able to sit for them till December (next available dates). However, I would like to apply as soon as possible but would it hinder my application process if I apply now and provide them with my IELTS score once I've received them in January?

The other thing is that neither of my academic references are associated with my former schools any longer. Will this be an issue?

Hi,

It wouldn't be a problem applying in January. I applied in March/ April (I decided I wanted to a Masters fairly late) and that was fine. I am not sure what the process would be if you applied without your score - I am fairly sure it would be fine as I applied without my final undergraduate degree results, it is likely that they would make you a conditional offer until you could provide your grades.

I'm afraid I can't give you an answer to your second question, as I don't know. However, if you email Adam Piette, who is the course leader, he should be able to clear that up for you - his email is [email protected].

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending