The Student Room Group

a levels for dentistry help?

i am currently in year 11 and about to choose my a levels. i want to be a dentist. i am definitely doing biology and chemistry and art but i am not sure about my fourth so i was wondering what would be a good one to do. also should i do art or not?
Reply 1
It depends how much you enjoy sciences. I personally would recommend Maths or Physics but I think as long as you have Biology and Chemistry it should be fine.
Reply 2
thanx but i went to see an orthodontist and a normal dentist and neither did biology or maths they just did chemistry and also what do you think of art as an a level?
Reply 3
Original post by maryb123
thanx but i went to see an orthodontist and a normal dentist and neither did biology or maths they just did chemistry and also what do you think of art as an a level?

I'm not sure about Dentistry these days (because I'm not applying to Dentistry) but I believe it is fairly competitive. As long as you are choosing subjects that you are comfortable with it should be ok. I do A2 Chemistry and it is probably the most useful subject for people looking at Medicine, Biochem, Dentistry, etc, it is compulsory anyway.
I did not even do GCSE Art but from my friends who are doing Art at A Level, they told me that the work load is massive, you'll probably be working on your coursework every single day until your exam. A friend who does AS Chem, Physics, Maths and Art finds Art the most demanding in terms of work load.
Reply 4
Original post by acireric
I'm not sure about Dentistry these days (because I'm not applying to Dentistry) but I believe it is fairly competitive. As long as you are choosing subjects that you are comfortable with it should be ok. I do A2 Chemistry and it is probably the most useful subject for people looking at Medicine, Biochem, Dentistry, etc, it is compulsory anyway.
I did not even do GCSE Art but from my friends who are doing Art at A Level, they told me that the work load is massive, you'll probably be working on your coursework every single day until your exam. A friend who does AS Chem, Physics, Maths and Art finds Art the most demanding in terms of work load.

i do gcse art at the moment and i have already finished my sketchbook and now ive just got to do the 10hr mock. i handle it and meet the deadlines and some sixthformers doing art said that the workload is the same as i am doing now so i think ill handle it alright and my teacher thinks i can get a schlorship aswell. i was just wondering if unis well acknowledge art as an a level
Reply 5
i do gcse art at the moment and i have already finished my sketchbook and now ive just got to do the 10hr mock. i handle it and meet the deadlines and some sixthformers doing art said that the workload is the same as i am doing now so i think ill handle it alright and my teacher thinks i can get a schlorship aswell. i was just wondering if unis well acknowledge art as an a level

and if you dont mind me asking what does you friend doing phys, maths, chem and art want to be?
Reply 6
and if you dont mind me asking what does you friend doing phys, maths, chem and art want to be?

In fact I have two friends doing those subjects. One wants to be an architect and another one probably a designer (go into art school).
Reply 7

I think it really depends on the Dentistry department. Art is NOT seen as a soft subject so it will definitely be much better than Sociology, Psychology, Business Studies and so on.
Reply 8
Original post by acireric
I think it really depends on the Dentistry department. Art is NOT seen as a soft subject so it will definitely be much better than Sociology, Psychology, Business Studies and so on.

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest