The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Creative Writing MA (Royal Holloway)

Hi

Any advice for applying to the Creative Writing course for 2015? I am working on my application piece at the moment, but any tips on the application or what to expect will be helpful. I am aware that an application to this course is literally a shot in the dark - they might like my writing or think its absolutely mediocre
Original post by dbose
Hi

Any advice for applying to the Creative Writing course for 2015? I am working on my application piece at the moment, but any tips on the application or what to expect will be helpful. I am aware that an application to this course is literally a shot in the dark - they might like my writing or think its absolutely mediocre

Hi,

For the MA in Creative writing that we offer at Royal Holloway, the application process requires two academic essays to be written of 5000 words in total (roughly 2500 words per essay). For this part, you can submit essays which you used at undergraduate level. In addition to this, you are required to submit a critical piece of writing which should be no longer than 1000 words.

With this course, you should hear back rather quickly from the department. The average length of time is around one week, but obviously this is not set in stone and it may take less/more time than this for you to hear back.

To find out more about the course, you can visit their website.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to answer them for you.

I hope this helps,

Katie
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi,

For the MA in Creative writing that we offer at Royal Holloway, the application process requires two academic essays to be written of 5000 words in total (roughly 2500 words per essay). For this part, you can submit essays which you used at undergraduate level. In addition to this, you are required to submit a critical piece of writing which should be no longer than 1000 words.

With this course, you should hear back rather quickly from the department. The average length of time is around one week, but obviously this is not set in stone and it may take less/more time than this for you to hear back.

To find out more about the course, you can visit their website.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to answer them for you.

I hope this helps,

Katie

Thank you..this is helpful

Just to clarify, my application will not have to include a piece of creative writing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dbose
Thank you..this is helpful

Just to clarify, my application will not have to include a piece of creative writing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

The academic essays that you submit are required to be fiction. So, if you've studied Creative Writing at undergraduate level the department say that applicants usually submit two fiction-based essays that were written during this time. If you don't want to do that you can write new pieces, of course.

If you have any further questions, please do ask them and I'll be happy to answer.

Good luck with your application!

I hope this helps,

Katie
Reply 4
Hi,

The academic essays that you submit are required to be fiction. So, if you've studied Creative Writing at undergraduate level the department say that applicants usually submit two fiction-based essays that were written during this time. If you don't want to do that you can write new pieces, of course.

If you have any further questions, please do ask them and I'll be happy to answer.

Good luck with your application!

I hope this helps,

Katie

Thanks Katie!!

I apologise for bothering you with so many questions, but I have another crucial one. So both my academic references are meant to come from my teachers who are no longer associated with my former colleges any longer.

This means as far as reference letters go they will not be on official letterheads. Do you suppose that will be a problem?
Original post by dbose
Thanks Katie!!

I apologise for bothering you with so many questions, but I have another crucial one. So both my academic references are meant to come from my teachers who are no longer associated with my former colleges any longer.

This means as far as reference letters go they will not be on official letterheads. Do you suppose that will be a problem?

Hi,

Don't apologise, that's what I am here for so ask as many questions as you wish!

I have spoken to the department, and they suggest that you ask your academic references to email their documents directly to [email protected], the Faculty Administrator for the English department, so that she can verify that they have been sent from the the correct sources. As well as doing this, you should still attach the references to your application as standard.

I hope this helps,

Katie
Reply 6
Hi,

Don't apologise, that's what I am here for so ask as many questions as you wish!

I have spoken to the department, and they suggest that you ask your academic references to email their documents directly to [email protected], the Faculty Administrator for the English department, so that she can verify that they have been sent from the the correct sources. As well as doing this, you should still attach the references to your application as standard.

I hope this helps,

Katie

Brilliant!! You've been a lifesaver

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending