The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

well within the last few hours i decided i wasn't sure i wanted to go to portsmouth anymore because the city itself seems abit small and not much really goes on there, so i decided that maybe i should also consider putting down bradford instead until i read the comments on this thread lol. Is narrowing it down to 6 proving to be difficult for everyone else? Or am I just being overly scrutinous?

I was also wondering if anyone knows whether Bradford's 5 year programme offers 6 months in community and the other 6 in hospital?
Gregorian IV
Manchester - they're having a completely new pharmacy block being built, an we'll be some of the first to use it!

I just might :biggrin:
Where are you applying to apart from Manchester?
bradford,ljmu,portsmouth, brighton and sunderland are all super crap. The best are LSOP, kings, bath, nottingham, manchester, cardiff, and aston ( not necessarily in that order).
I admit that some of them are certainly below par but saying that they are all super crap is abit over the top. Sure they're not as good as the latter unis but I know for a fact that Portsmouth for example has a decent pharmacy department, even though the uni itself has a pretty pants reputation. Besides, not everyone can end up at the best unis so you have to be wise about your choices just in case.
Reply 24
BeesKnees
I was also wondering if anyone knows whether Bradford's 5 year programme offers 6 months in community and the other 6 in hospital?

The three people I know who are either at or have recently left bradford all did 6 months in community and 6 months in hospital. That is the big draw of bradford, you really get to experience the job before deciding which career to jump into.
pharmacy, unlike medicine and dentistry, isn't competitive. for medicine and dentistry, ANY UNI WILL DO, because they're pretigious degrees and professions, and are extremly competive to get into. pharmacy isn't as competive, so a pharmacy applicant should aim to get into the top pharmacy schools; i.e. one of the seven that i mentioned above.
Uuuh Manchester were having a new pharmacy building when I went for my interview ... in 2002!!!
BeesKnees
I just might :biggrin:
Where are you applying to apart from Manchester?

Nottingham, Manchester, LSOP, LJMU and Bradford (it's the closest city to me that does it, and tbh it isn't very high grades so it's kinda of a safety net, if u get what i mean) and possibly aston, still a bit undecided on that one.

-Emmz-
Uuuh Manchester were having a new pharmacy building when I went for my interview ... in 2002!!!

Good.
Gregorian IV

Good.

Well not really when they told us (starting in 2003) that we'd probably be the first to use it ... and they're still doing it?
giggsy
why did you apply to dmu??. its like really crap isnt it. Im not sure how portsmouth and ljmu are middlish unis really. With my as levels of bcdd which 1 top uni do u tink i would have a small chance of getting into.

When I applied it wasn't really that bad ... none of this stuff with exam fixing had gone on and it was pretty much the same as ljmu or bradford. Plus I needed a sure fire back up plan if nobody else gave me offers :p: ... and I wasn't spoilt with as much choice as you guys when I applied!
Reply 30
grimreefer
bradford,ljmu,portsmouth, brighton and sunderland are all super crap. The best are LSOP, kings, bath, nottingham, manchester, cardiff, and aston ( not necessarily in that order).

whats the differecne between someone who gets a degree in ljmu and one in cardiff u ****:mad:
Reply 31
whats the difference between the 4 year and 5 year pharm program in bradford
Reply 32
i think some people in this thread are being a bit silly. youre all saying the unis i have mentioned are crap but not every person can get into kings, lsop etc
Reply 33
Brighton = The MOST amazing city ever, you will LOVE it here.
Cardiff = Go there because I'm going to! The city was good.
Sunderland = Didn't even know there was a university there
Bradford = Seems alright
LJMU = Liverpool rocks!

Very helpful advice huh?
Basically visit! I was going to go to Bath university for definite until I visited Cardiff! So you never know...
Reply 34
I just took my friend up to hertfordshire as well, checked out the pharmacy dept for curiosity. It was an alright department as it was new and the campus was great but the area a bit rough and quiet but you never need to go there.
Reply 35
see i knew brighton is class, some ppl hey
giggsy
whats the differecne between someone who gets a degree in ljmu and one in cardiff u ****:mad:

There really is no difference between the degrees, but there is a difference between resources, teaching quality, the campus and relationship with major pharmaceutical companies.
Reply 37
if you get a degree in pharm in any uni which does it im sure u can get an excellent job
Reply 38
grimreefer

Bradford is not a super crap uni.
Reply 39
brighton is blatently the best out of ur options, but im a tiny bit biased

Latest

Trending

Trending