The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Okay. I know many people think I'm shallow. This may be true. But, I'm not any more shallow than the millions of women who dye their hair blonde. If, in order to not be shallow I must ignore a woman's hair color, then wouldn't a woman also in order to not be shallow not go through great efforts to change her color? I mean, it's only hair right?
And like I said, the women who like dark haired guys may not be as vocal about this because 60% of dark haired guys don't "go blonde". If this were the case, I think there would be more frustrated women out there who would make their opinions known more.
I do have one question though. If a guy says that he prefers brunettes over blondes, blonde women might feel insulted, but rather than dying their hair dark, they defend blondes. I can understand this. But when a guy says he prefers blondes, brunettes usually dye their hair blonde to be accepted. Hell, even when I tell women that I like dark hair, brunettes STILL make excuses why they dye it blonde (my skin is too pale, I wanted to soften the contrast between my skin and my hair, etc...). It almost seems as if society is pushing the belief that black hair is perfectly okay on guys, but is unnacceptable on girls. Otherwise, wouldn't there be more women with black hair who didn't feel the need to "soften the contrast" or just "lighten it a bit"?
I realize that "HATE" is a strong word, and maybe this is not the right word to use. I don't HATE blondes. But I could never be attracted to one. Even if she is a nice person, I could never go out with a woman who dyes her hair blonde because it to me it is a sign of a woman who feels the need to conform to cultural expectations, no matter how flawed those expectations might be.
Reply 21
There are three main hair colours...

What about redheads?!

<frustrated>
Reply 22
blissy
What about readheads? <always overlooked>

why does it matter, along as they'er a nice person
Maybe they're dying it because they want to? Why would deciding to dye their own hair be shallow? It's not because they feel inferior, it's because they personally like blonde hair.

Please don't generalise. There are lovely, intelligent, non-shallow blondes, brunettes, redheads, everything..
Just as the opposite is true for those with all hair colours.

And why bother making a thread stating that you aren't attracted to blondes? Really, should we care?
Reply 24
Blissy, Sorry, I wasn't trying to ignore you. Although I prefer brunettes, I also like some redheads.

Hailey, I realize my message was quite long, but if you took the time to read it you would know why I felt the need to post my opinion about blondes. It's because there is all of this hype about blonde women, yet there are many guys like me who's opinions aren't being represented. Where is all the "Brunette is beautiful" hype?
And if some of the women who dye there hair do it simply because they like it, that is their choice. And it is my choice to find them unnatractive. What if it was my choice to stop trimming my nose hairs. I could let them grow real long, twist them into dreadlocks and dye them orange. That would be my choice. It would also be the choice of many women (probably all) to find me VERY unnattractive. Now, imagine if that trend caught on, and 60% of the male population let their nose hair grow into big orange nose-locks. Imagine if also an overwhelming majority of holywood leading men started sporting these orange nose locks, and sayings were formed such as "guys with orange nose locks are hotter". Imagine if all the guys you knew started to get these orange nose locks. You would just have to accept it, keep your opinion to yourself, and be willing to be with a guy that had orange nose-locks. Otherwise you would be shallow. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
I'm not saying that I hate the person who is blonde. I just hate the blonde hair colour for all that it is associated with. It's like not liking townies. Generally they're annoying but once in a while someone is nice.
Reply 26
Sargoth just outta interest what colour hair do u have
Sargoth
Blissy, Sorry, I wasn't trying to ignore you. Although I prefer brunettes, I also like some redheads.

Hailey, I realize my message was quite long, but if you took the time to read it you would know why I felt the need to post my opinion about blondes. It's because there is all of this hype about blonde women, yet there are many guys like me who's opinions aren't being represented. Where is all the "Brunette is beautiful" hype?
And if some of the women who dye there hair do it simply because they like it, that is their choice. And it is my choice to find them unnatractive. What if it was my choice to stop trimming my nose hairs. I could let them grow real long, twist them into dreadlocks and dye them orange. That would be my choice. It would also be the choice of many women (probably all) to find me VERY unnattractive. Now, imagine if that trend caught on, and 60% of the male population let their nose hair grow into big orange nose-locks. Imagine if also an overwhelming majority of holywood leading men started sporting these orange nose locks, and sayings were formed such as "guys with orange nose locks are hotter". Imagine if all the guys you knew started to get these orange nose locks. You would just have to accept it, keep your opinion to yourself, and be willing to be with a guy that had orange nose-locks. Otherwise you would be shallow. :rolleyes:

I did read your post. Don't patronise me.
While there are a lot of men, probably even the majority, who prefer brunettes, that is not the definitive opinion.

Besides, who says women dye their hair to be liked by men? You may not think it looks good, but they do, and that's all that matters.

And you are being shallow by linking ALL blondes to their personality.
Blonde women to me just seem like spoiled snotty little girls.

Like I said, you can find blondes less attracteive, but don't make generalisations based on hair colour or assume that women dye their hair for the benefit of the male population.
Reply 28
blissy
There are three main hair colours...

What about redheads?!

<frustrated>

I'm strawb blonde so can pass as a redhead and I have to say we are the best!!
I agree, insofar as it applies to attractiveness only. I'm never attracted to blonde women - the darker the better for me. Long jet-black hair is lovely. But it doesn't go any further than attractiveness - I have no opinion on blondes as a whole on any other aspect. The fact that one can change one's hair colour at will pretty much proves that it can have no link to personality.
Reply 30
Tonka, my hair is brown.
Reply 31
And you are being shallow by linking ALL blondes to their personality.

Sorry, I guess I'm shallow. :rolleyes:

And you're shallow if you refuse to date a guy with nose locks. After all he might be a VERY nice guy, right? After all it's not about the hair, right?
Sargoth
Sorry, I guess I'm shallow. :rolleyes:

And you're shallow if you refuse to date a guy with nose locks. After all he might be a VERY nice guy, right? After all it's not about the hair, right?

I'll admit, the first thing that attracts me to a man is looks. It's like that for everyone (Unless they go for the ladies.. But the same applies). But it quickly changes to wanting a nice personality, when I've got to know them a little better. You're making completely false assumptions on the personality of blondes. And it makes you look a right tit.

I do prefer men with dark hair. But that's not saying I couldn't find a man with lighter hair attractive. And I certainly wouldn't hate them and condemn them for their hair colour.

I mean, it's just hair..
Reply 33
The only blondes I can't stand are the sterotypically thick ones, of which I know several. It just seems like apart from basics like talking, nothing happens inside their heads, they just sit there, vacant, watching the world go by. It's really nasty to say this, but they just seem like such a waste of space.
I do kind of agree with the Sargoth guy.

Most of the blondes I know have dyed hair. The thing is, if they're shallow enough to try and change their appearance like that (and most of them wear tonnes of make-up), is that the kind of girl I want? All of the fake blondes I know have reputations for being bitches, too. So hair colour, when you think about how many fake blondes there are, can reflect personality.
But there are a lot of REAL blondes too. So it's not hair colour that reflects upon personality but the action of changing it.
Reply 36
blissy
What about readheads? <always overlooked>

It's because they're ugly. Come on, you were all thinking it. Nah, just kidding. Lauren Ambrose is one of my favourites.
Reply 37
I do prefer men with dark hair. But that's not saying I couldn't find a man with lighter hair attractive.

But the fact remains that whether or not you find them attractive is important. This also makes you shallow. After all, it's what's on the inside, right? My point is that while on the issue of hair color, I may seem very shallow, I'm really no more shallow than the average person. For example, how many guys will go out with an UGLY girl even if she's very nice. How many guys would go out with an extremely OBESE girl? Not very many. How many women would go out with an UGLY guy? How many women will go out with a guy that's shorter than themself? Not very many. And it's ALL based on appearance. Often times, people will SAY that they would date someone who is short, ugly, or fat, but they never actually do. Many attributes such as height, and facial features are genetic and can't be controlled by the person. So basically, almost EVERYONE is shallow to a certain degree. But, where as other people base their idea of attractiveness on genetics, I base mine more on how a woman chooses to present herself. So, by my standards, almost every woman has the potential to be beautiful, even though only very few present themselves that way. By other men, and women's standard of beauty, you either are or aren't beautiful, and short of expensive plastic surgery, theres nothing you can do about it. In my opinion, this makes me LESS shallow than the average person. But, like I said, everyone has their limits, even me. All I ask as that a woman don't dye her hair blonde.
I said I prefer men with darker hair. I didn't say I'd rule out any possibility of going out with them.

Everyone's shallow when it comes to looks.

You do seem to feel very strongly about this though... All of your posts have been in this thread. Hmm.

You're not expecting people to stop bleaching on your account, are you?
Reply 39
Gentlemen prefer blondes, and being a gentleman I am obliged to do the same. I really have no choice in the matter.

Latest

Trending

Trending