The Student Room Group

Why do some girls never offer to pay on dates?

I'm a bit confused as to why some girls (but by no means all) never offer to pay on dates (or at least their half).

I understand that on the first date it is often expected that the guy pays and I accept that (though she would get major brownie points if she at least offered to go pay for half) but sometimes even on the second date she never offers, even though she has a job just like I do.

Can anyone explain such female behavior?

It isn't like she's doing me a service by going out with me, its a mutual activity where the costs and benefits should be shared.

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you ask her yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly no idea, I feel VERY uncomfortable having things paid for me. I don't know why, just do.
I'm a bit surprised anyone can be so oblivious to their own culture, it's social convention, a remnant from the time women rarely had careers of their own. It should be pointed out some men are equally insistent on maintaining the tradition.
Well 1) they're entitled but 2) because they can. The majority of guys will offer to pay, for the whole thing.
Reply 5
I think buying things for someone you fancy/love is part of romance. I would much sooner alternate paying than split the cost a date. I agree with Mankytoes that there is a social convention that men pay which both sides often seem to be comfortable with. Not sure if it is a good or a bad thing really.
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Honestly no idea, I feel VERY uncomfortable having things paid for me. I don't know why, just do.

I guess there is an element of not having equal status and perhaps associated 'obligation' with someone paying.
Original post by SophieSmall

I am sooooo taking you on a date:cool:
Reply 8
I feel pretty uncomfortable when people pay for me too, but I'm also pretty uncomfortable offering (although I do a lot of the time) so I often miss the best timing and feel weird about bringing it up later. I left a tenner in a boyfriend's car once when I was 18, haha, I'm not quite that bad now, however. That's just me though. And some guys have insisted so strongly the first few times I've offered that I didn't want to deal with that reaction again.

You should just ask. 99% of people will be willing to pay their share or more.
I have never met such a girl, are you really sure they exist?
Original post by snakesnake
I'm a bit confused as to why some girls (but by no means all) never offer to pay on dates (or at least their half).

I understand that on the first date it is often expected that the guy pays and I accept that (though she would get major brownie points if she at least offered to go pay for half) but sometimes even on the second date she never offers, even though she has a job just like I do.

It isn't like she's doing me a service by going out with me, its a mutual activity where the costs and benefits should be shared.

Hey :3 So yea maybe some guys have been confused about this because they lived in different lifestyles and all but from what I know and believe is that the male counterpart is meant to be the "provider" of the family when a couple gets married. Being able to pay on dates shows how reliable your boyfriend can be, most girls probably don't want to provide themselves with only their own savings as they will only be able to depend on themselves. They want a secure future where they can be happy and comfortable :smile: hope this helps ^^
Original post by snakesnake

Well it's simple. It suits them.

Sticking to an outdated practice suits them and therefore they're happy to let it happen.

Tbh it's typical feminist behaviour. "We want equality but only when it suits us".
Original post by mackemforever
Well it's simple. It suits them.

Sticking to an outdated practice suits them and therefore they're happy to let it happen.

Tbh it's typical feminist behaviour. "We want equality but only when it suits us".

Or they might just not be feminist..
Original post by Inazuma
Or they might just not be feminist..

I'm unfortunately out of reps.
Reply 14
Cuz! it's nice for a guy to pay it means he's a gentleman :colone::biggrin:
Reply 15
You're picking the wrong girls
If a guy asks me out he's gonna pay. Fully. If I ask him out (by ask out, I don't mean like in the primary playground sense, like, "Will you be mine? :love: I just mean, "hey, come here with me, let's go there" kinda ask out :smile:) Anyway if I ask him out I'll pay but I would def love/expect if he paid :tongue:

This goes to, men traditionally are the providers. First, influence/relation to animal kingdom. Second, history in humanity where men did everything :colonhash:
Original post by Gee Willikers
If a guy asks me out he's gonna pay. Fully. If I ask him out (by ask out, I don't mean like in the primary playground sense, like, "Will you be mine? :love: I just mean, "hey, come here with me, let's go there" kinda ask out :smile:) Anyway if I ask him out I'll pay but I would def love/expect if he paid :tongue:

This goes to, men traditionally are the providers. First, influence/relation to animal kingdom. Second, history in humanity where men did everything :colonhash:

So I assume that as you'd like to assume traditional roles you shouldn't be able to get a good job or vote? And you'll do all the cooking and cleaning? Because that's traditional, and historically what women did.
I think some girls think they are just entitled to it.
Because it's gender equality :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending