The Student Room Group

Ex over me - surprise visit?

Okay, long story short a lot of things happened with my recent ex (he did some horrible things) which led to us not talking. For a while he was begging me to come back to him but I was too angry about what he'd done. I eventually cooled off and tried to talk to him, but he says he just wants to be friends and he's over it. I don't understand how a person can go from really sad and wanting to fix things to done with it, and I really want this to work - this is the guy I thought/think I'll end up with. So I want to do something - I was thinking of paying him a surprise visit. We haven't met in 1.5 months so I'm hoping that maybe seeing me will make him realise his feelings (texts/calls haven't done that, but I think that's quite different).
So, do you think there's hope in this situation?
Do you think seeing me might make him remember and help us fix things?
Reply 1
Hmm.

As a guy, when ever I've been in a relationship that's ended I've often begged the girl back. But after a few weeks of being rejected I learn to move on, and my feelings soon disappear. Guys tend to want what they can't have.
1.5 months is a fairly decent time for your ex to have gotten over you.
A surprise visit may back fire. Which would be horrible for you.
If you really feel like seeing him in person would change things, I'd at least give him a weeks notice.
If I was you, I'd move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Baloney
Hmm.

As a guy, when ever I've been in a relationship that's ended I've often begged the girl back. But after a few weeks of being rejected I learn to move on, and my feelings soon disappear. Guys tend to want what they can't have.
1.5 months is a fairly decent time for your ex to have gotten over you.
A surprise visit may back fire. Which would be horrible for you.
If you really feel like seeing him in person would change things, I'd at least give him a weeks notice.
If I was you, I'd move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was his first proper relationship and he was my first relationship so neither of us have had the proper experience of heartbreak.
I don't understand how he could change from that to this. I mean, I hope it wasn't just wanting what he couldn't have, I'd like to think not as we had something pretty special. We had like planned out our whole futures together.
Do you think it could change things to actually see someone in person? I mean, you always hear of how people's feelings come rushing back, I don't have the experience to compare though.
I don't know about the notice - I feel like if I tell him all the thinking/planning will ruin it, and as he lives quite far away it'll be like oh are you staying here etc. And surely if I just go it'll give the most authentic reaction, either he's really happy or kinda like wtf.
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with the other guy. Breaking up hurts, it has taken a few weeks, and he's got over it, he doesn't want to mess his head up by seeing you again. After he's clearly stated he just wants to be friends, a surprise visit could look kind of desperate.

I think you're just finding it hard to accept your first relationship is over. Seeing as he did "some horrible things", surely you're better off finding a guy who, y'know, won't do horrible things?

He's decided the best thing is to move on- I think he's right, and you should do the same.
Reply 4
Original post by Mankytoes
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with the other guy. Breaking up hurts, it has taken a few weeks, and he's got over it, he doesn't want to mess his head up by seeing you again. After he's clearly stated he just wants to be friends, a surprise visit could look kind of desperate.

I think you're just finding it hard to accept your first relationship is over. Seeing as he did "some horrible things", surely you're better off finding a guy who, y'know, won't do horrible things?

He's decided the best thing is to move on- I think he's right, and you should do the same.

He messaged me many times for like months before that when I told him I didn't want it, so on the desperation front I'd have a while to go to reach him. And he cried about it the one time we met up. You say he doesn't want to mess his head up - well that's pretty much exactly what I want, do you think that'll happen?
Of course that's a part, but it's more than that. We were really, really close. We'd been best friends for years before and there's no way I could be friends with him now, so I've lost everything.
He did, but what we had is ultimately worth more than that now that I've had the time to step back and think. What I really want to know is, what sort of effect do you think seeing me would have? I'm willing to take the risk of putting myself out there because I really, really want this.
You sound exactly how I felt once my first relationship was over. Don't bother trying to meet up, he has made his decision and if he wanted you back he'd have said. Do yourself a favour and try and move on. Also cut all contact if possible. I'm speaking from hindsight here as well, I tried the same thing and it made everything worse and fresh again, so just save yourself the pain and cut your losses, you'll be happier for it, trust me.
Reply 6
Original post by Jacob Boris
You sound exactly how I felt once my first relationship was over. Don't bother trying to meet up, he has made his decision and if he wanted you back he'd have said. Do yourself a favour and try and move on. Also cut all contact if possible. I'm speaking from hindsight here as well, I tried the same thing and it made everything worse and fresh again, so just save yourself the pain and cut your losses, you'll be happier for it, trust me.

I don't think that'll really save me the pain, I'm constantly depressed at the moment. I haven't exactly told him that I want him back either, I've said that I thought this would last and we'd fix things but not 'I have feelings for you, I want you back'. Do you really think it wouldn't affect him to see me?
Original post by Anonymous
He messaged me many times for like months before that when I told him I didn't want it, so on the desperation front I'd have a while to go to reach him. And he cried about it the one time we met up.

You say he doesn't want to mess his head up - well that's pretty much exactly what I want, do you think that'll happen?
Of course that's a part, but it's more than that. We were really, really close. We'd been best friends for years before and there's no way I could be friends with him now, so I've lost everything.

He did, but what we had is ultimately worth more than that now that I've had the time to step back and think. What I really want to know is, what sort of effect do you think seeing me would have? I'm willing to take the risk of putting myself out there because I really, really want this.

Exactly, when he was acting desperate, you found it unattractive and didn't want to get back with him. Now the situation is reversed, he isn't wanting to get back with you. Being extremely needy is rarely a good play (don't believe tv and movies).

See that makes it sound like this is more about your ego, now he's not fawning all over you, you want to get his attention back. Your relationship was so special, yet you want to mess his head up? Hmm.

There's no way I, or anyone else on here, can know how he'll react, but honestly if he's said he doesn't want to see you that way and you just show up, it sounds like it'll just be awkward and you'll look a bit of a fool.

You say you "really, really want this", yet he was desperately trying to get with you for months recently and you were rejecting him? This doesn't sound like a healthy dynamic, it sounds like you just want him now he's available, but if he was really the love of your life I don't think you would have rejected him so persistantly (or he would have done the unspecified "horrible thing" to warrant such behaviour).

It's your first break up, and you're finding it hard to really break the connection. Leave it for a bit, talk to other guys, who knows, you could still get back with this guy in the future. Seeing you going out, being confident and having fun without him is more likely to spark jealousy and reinvigoration of strong feelings than you showing up at his place.
I think he'll think you're toying with him. When you were angry you rejected all his approaches, so he started to move on. Then when his attention towards you stopped, you had lost control. You forgave him but he was no longer looking for your forgiveness. Now you've decided - far too late - that maybe you want to be together after all. Sorry but that boat has sailed. You need to learn from this (for example if you're going to forgive then do so in hours not months) and move on.

The fact that you had planned your future together doesn't actually mean it was a match made in heaven by the way.
Reply 9
Exactly, when he was acting desperate, you found it unattractive and didn't want to get back with him. Now the situation is reversed, he isn't wanting to get back with you. Being extremely needy is rarely a good play (don't believe tv and movies).

See that makes it sound like this is more about your ego, now he's not fawning all over you, you want to get his attention back. Your relationship was so special, yet you want to mess his head up? Hmm.

There's no way I, or anyone else on here, can know how he'll react, but honestly if he's said he doesn't want to see you that way and you just show up, it sounds like it'll just be awkward and you'll look a bit of a fool.

You say you "really, really want this", yet he was desperately trying to get with you for months recently and you were rejecting him? This doesn't sound like a healthy dynamic, it sounds like you just want him now he's available, but if he was really the love of your life I don't think you would have rejected him so persistantly (or he would have done the unspecified "horrible thing" to warrant such behaviour).

It's your first break up, and you're finding it hard to really break the connection. Leave it for a bit, talk to other guys, who knows, you could still get back with this guy in the future. Seeing you going out, being confident and having fun without him is more likely to spark jealousy and reinvigoration of strong feelings than you showing up at his place.

It's not because I found it unattractive, I was just really angry/hurt over what he did. The fact that he made the effort is what makes me realise how special it was to an extent.
It really isn't that - I meant mess with his head in the sense that he remembers times together and feels that he still has feelings for me.
He hasn't said he doesn't want to meet me, he suggested a possible meetup actually and when I questioned him he said it'd be good to meet and discuss things, so it's not like he wants me gone, and he definitely wants to remain in contact.
He lied to me quite a few times, and finally when it was over a big thing that was the breaking point for me, I told him so many times to be honest. Thats why I rejected him, I was just so hurt. I thought I'd get over it but I realised that's not happening and the distance made me realise how much I miss him. It really isn't an attention thing, sometimes you realise what you have when you lose it ...
I dont know, in the time that I was uninterested all it did was make him get over me, so if I back off more it'll surely just let him get used to life without me and move on more.
Original post by Crumpet1
I think he'll think you're toying with him. When you were angry you rejected all his approaches, so he started to move on. Then when his attention towards you stopped, you had lost control. You forgave him but he was no longer looking for your forgiveness. Now you've decided - far too late - that maybe you want to be together after all. Sorry but that boat has sailed. You need to learn from this (for example if you're going to forgive then do so in hours not months) and move on.

The fact that you had planned your future together doesn't actually mean it was a match made in heaven by the way.

It's not like I was unreasonably angry, I think my anger was justified. And I got back in contact before he decided he'd moved on ... it's isn't like the moment he stopped I started.
He seemed so sincere in his affections towards me, like he told me he'd be there and wait for me etc and refused to accept the possibility of life without me. It's weird to go from that to just over it. And it isn't that simple, if someone hurts you it might take you time to get over it
Yes, I know, I said that more to illustrate the seriousness of the relationship.
It's not because I found it unattractive, I was just really angry/hurt over what he did. The fact that he made the effort is what makes me realise how special it was to an extent.

It really isn't that - I meant mess with his head in the sense that he remembers times together and feels that he still has feelings for me.
He hasn't said he doesn't want to meet me, he suggested a possible meetup actually and when I questioned him he said it'd be good to meet and discuss things, so it's not like he wants me gone, and he definitely wants to remain in contact.

He lied to me quite a few times, and finally when it was over a big thing that was the breaking point for me, I told him so many times to be honest. Thats why I rejected him, I was just so hurt. I thought I'd get over it but I realised that's not happening and the distance made me realise how much I miss him. It really isn't an attention thing, sometimes you realise what you have when you lose it ...

I dont know, in the time that I was uninterested all it did was make him get over me, so if I back off more it'll surely just let him get used to life without me and move on more.

But now suddenly you're totally over that- in fact you're desperate to get him back? You said earlier "I don't understand how he could change from that to this", yet your attitude change seems just as dramatic, if not more.

Well he said he wants to remain friends, so I assume he'd meet with that understanding, but you're talking about something very different.

Well if he was lieing a lot and did "a big thing" (I'm gonna assume that involved something sexual with someone else), why is it you're so keen to get back with him? Is it the idea that you can change him? It's so, so rare that people stay with their first partner. You need some experience to learn and mature. Don't see this as a lost part of your life, presumably you had some good times, learn from it and move on.

I think him getting over you is more to do with time. It gives you perspective, he's probably realising that the happy times you spent together, the bond you had, is something he (and you) can create with other people, it isn't something unique to the two of you, and seeing as your relationship apparantly involved a lot of duplicity, he's probably hopeing to find someone he's able to build something more honest and mature with.
What about telling him I'm in his city and seeing what he says?
But now suddenly you're totally over that- in fact you're desperate to get him back? You said earlier "I don't understand how he could change from that to this", yet your attitude change seems just as dramatic, if not more.

Well he said he wants to remain friends, so I assume he'd meet with that understanding, but you're talking about something very different.

Well if he was lieing a lot and did "a big thing" (I'm gonna assume that involved something sexual with someone else), why is it you're so keen to get back with him? Is it the idea that you can change him? It's so, so rare that people stay with their first partner. You need some experience to learn and mature. Don't see this as a lost part of your life, presumably you had some good times, learn from it and move on.

I think him getting over you is more to do with time. It gives you perspective, he's probably realising that the happy times you spent together, the bond you had, is something he (and you) can create with other people, it isn't something unique to the two of you, and seeing as your relationship apparantly involved a lot of duplicity, he's probably hopeing to find someone he's able to build something more honest and mature with.

It's not sudden. As I said, it took time, but the distance made me realise how much I miss him, along with his many apologies and regrets which made me think he really did feel bad and hence wouldn't do that again. I didn't change suddenly, and I haven't begged for him back or anything. He changed in literally a week.
Yes, well I wouldn't just turn up and say let's get back together, I'd obviously judge his reaction and go from there. If he seemed uninterested/unaffected I'd say no more, be friendly and then cut contact when I return. Obviously I'm hoping seeing me and spending time together will remind him of our good times and he'll rethink. I know maybe I reacted badly, but I always thought eventually things would get fixed. So yeah, I guess his attitude change was a massive shock to me and gave me a kick in the sense that it's like now or never.
No, not sexual, not cheating but just deceptive and somewhat inappropriate. It's not that. I don't even want to change him, I want him to stop lying but that's it. I want to get back with him because as I said, I miss him so much and what we had was real and could have lasted. I rarely find people, friends or otherwise, that I can be comfortable with like that and click with. And he was my best friend as well as partner, I really don't think I'll ever find that.
I was never dishonest with him. I guess that's what he realised, it's a shame I feel the opposite. I think he's also got a massive workload and is throwing himself into that so he's got something else to focus on.

My first boyfriend (3 years together) was a liar too. He just had a completely different moral outlook on honesty compared to me. He was very sweet and loving and romantic but he would just lie over the most pointless of things.

Now when I look back I can't believe I put up with it for so long, and can only assume it was because he was my first boyfriend and I didn't know any better. He wasn't going to suddenly embrace honesty just because I set the example. Even after our break up he continued to demonstrate lack of honesty, such as giving away some furniture that my mum had allowed him to keep on a strictly temporary basis after I moved out.

Since then 100% truthful and honest has been a compulsory requirement for me in my relationships, and it has been all uphill from Boyfriend No.1. I think having the same moral compass is exceptionally important in the long run.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not sudden. As I said, it took time, but the distance made me realise how much I miss him, along with his many apologies and regrets which made me think he really did feel bad and hence wouldn't do that again. I didn't change suddenly, and I haven't begged for him back or anything. He changed in literally a week.

Yes, well I wouldn't just turn up and say let's get back together, I'd obviously judge his reaction and go from there. If he seemed uninterested/unaffected I'd say no more, be friendly and then cut contact when I return. Obviously I'm hoping seeing me and spending time together will remind him of our good times and he'll rethink. I know maybe I reacted badly, but I always thought eventually things would get fixed. So yeah, I guess his attitude change was a massive shock to me and gave me a kick in the sense that it's like now or never.

No, not sexual, not cheating but just deceptive and somewhat inappropriate. It's not that. I don't even want to change him, I want him to stop lying but that's it. I want to get back with him because as I said, I miss him so much and what we had was real and could have lasted. I rarely find people, friends or otherwise, that I can be comfortable with like that and click with. And he was my best friend as well as partner, I really don't think I'll ever find that.

I was never dishonest with him. I guess that's what he realised, it's a shame I feel the opposite. I think he's also got a massive workload and is throwing himself into that so he's got something else to focus on.

Well there has to be a point where you move on, I guess he's reached that point.

Reasonable logic, though there's no reason for the visit to be a surprise, quite the opposite if you want the reason for the visit to be ambiguous initially.

Yet you described it as "terrible"? What did he do? You're saying you don't want to change him, yet you also said you were justified in being angry with him for a long time. It doesn't seem to add up.

I think maybe that's the crux of it- fear of being alone. You've had this experience, the rush, and you're afraid you won't be able to recreate it. Things you've described aren't rare- seeing a long term partner as your best friend is common. Everyone likes to see their relationship as something so special, something rare, but love is common, and that's a great thing, it would be sad if most people never experienced it. You only have experience with this one guy, so to you, he represents all these great feelings. It's a classic teenage thing, you feel this first relationship is going to be forever, nothing will compare, but it's just not the case.

It sounds like you place all the blame on him- whether that's right or not, it doesn't bode well for reconcilliation. I doubt he see's it the same way.
Well there has to be a point where you move on, I guess he's reached that point.

Reasonable logic, though there's no reason for the visit to be a surprise, quite the opposite if you want the reason for the visit to be ambiguous initially.

Yet you described it as "terrible"? What did he do? You're saying you don't want to change him, yet you also said you were justified in being angry with him for a long time. It doesn't seem to add up.

I think maybe that's the crux of it- fear of being alone. You've had this experience, the rush, and you're afraid you won't be able to recreate it. Things you've described aren't rare- seeing a long term partner as your best friend is common. Everyone likes to see their relationship as something so special, something rare, but love is common, and that's a great thing, it would be sad if most people never experienced it. You only have experience with this one guy, so to you, he represents all these great feelings. It's a classic teenage thing, you feel this first relationship is going to be forever, nothing will compare, but it's just not the case.

It sounds like you place all the blame on him- whether that's right or not, it doesn't bode well for reconcilliation. I doubt he see's it the same way.

Okay, valid point. So maybe the best move is to let him know I might be in his city and let him take it from there, if he enthusiatically suggests meeting I'll go ahead and if he says a halfhearted thing out of politeness I'll let it go. I mean, Id have preferred the surprise as his reaction will be more authentic and I'd be able to guage how he feels better from it, but you're right in that I could look foolish.
I don't want to say the specific thing as he does sometimes come on here and that would make it obvious who I am (no room for plausible deniability), but lying is pretty much the crux of it.
No, I mean that we were best friends for a long while before. We were closer than most couples, we spent most of our time together (though some people see that as bad, I guess it's bad now that it's fallen apart). I'm not even a teenager. I've always been picky and waited till I felt I really found my person, which makes it all the harder for me accept that it won't last because I spent so longer waiting and choosing.
Well, I definitely think he was the one who messed it up initially. He accepts blame/responsibility for that but he thinks my reaction was unfair and 'blames' me for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending