The Student Room Group

Inviting friends to a party you are not hosting?

I'm having a party this week and friends I've invited keep asking if they can bring their friends. I've already invited quite a lot of people and my house isn't that big so it's starting to get on my nerves. And I would never imagine asking a host if I can bring someone who's not invited.
Am I completely over-exaggerating ?
Original post by Millymd
I'm having a party this week and friends I've invited keep asking if they can bring their friends. I've already invited quite a lot of people and my house isn't that big so it's starting to get on my nerves. And I would never imagine asking a host if I can bring someone who's not invited.

A party! Can I come?

P.S. Is it alright if I bring a couple of mates?

Spoiler

Tell them invite only and to ask you for +1's.
Original post by Millymd

No, I'd say you're being reasonable. Just explain that you don't want them to invite their friends because you don't want too many people in your house.
Reply 4
Depends on the type of party whether you'd expect to be fine bring friends. If it's more of a small gathering then I'd only ask to bring a friend if they were like visiting and staying with me, I wouldn't expect many to be asking to bring friends. If it's a proper party then I'd consider bring friends normal.

I've hosted a few big parties and I'd assume people I know well might bring a friend or two, if they want to bring more then I'd expect them to ask and I'd say yes to at least the first few. People I'd invited but don't know particularly well I'd expect to always ask and may or may not say yes depending on numbers. After that I'd probably start being more choosy and only saying yes if they are people I kind of know but I'd still think it's fine to ask, it's much better than not asking. On the night I'd still always end up with a few people texting asking if they can bring friends, I guess they just happened to end up with them, and if there was still space to move I'd say yes. I did once have someone text at 2-3am asking to bring 7 friends, that was taking the piss.

I think part of the fun is the new people you don't really know but are all right because they are friends of friends. It makes for a more interesting night. Remember not everyone who says yes will turn up anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
As long as they're asking you first, that is fine. But if you want to say no, that is fine too.
Original post by Millymd

Asking I would say is fine. They are asking and not just presuming but if you dont want any more people there then just say no.
It's fine to ask. Many people do let others being friends.
Also fine to say no, invite only due to space.
I've thrown a few parties where this has happened haha. The best thing to do is to make it clear with people when you invite them, like saying only +1's allowed. Even better say please ask me first if you can bring them, otherwise they won't be let in. I understand if it annoys you, I don't mind a couple of +1's but if there are loads of people at my house I don't even know it freaks me out a bit :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending