The Student Room Group

Work location after uni

Do you think its a good idea to get a grad scheme near your university after you graduate?
I have found one, but a part of me feels like i should just move on and make a fresh start.
I have a few friends down there, which will be nice, but they are coupled up and will soon move away.
What do you think?
Take a job wherever if you like it, people will be pretty spread out and generally social stuff happens in London because that's where most people are.
Reply 2
P.S im an engineer, i could probably get a job anywhere. not bragging, just giving my situation. Is it worth losing the connections to start a fresh?
Should i go for it?
Reply 3
The actual job near my uni is a 50 min drive away from into the welsh countryside. Not great, but i will be living in swansea
You can make friends anywhere you go, just join a sports club.

Just avoid London like the plague. The rest of the country has a far greater standard of living.
Reply 5
Original post by cole-slaw
You can make friends anywhere you go, just join a sports club.

Just avoid London like the plague. The rest of the country has a far greater standard of living.

This is the thing i'm worried about, I'm not into any sports, and i think it might be hard to make friends. I'm might be isolated if i live on my own in a new city. Of course theres house sharing... but im not sure i'd fancy that with a bunch of strangers.
Original post by Anonymous
This is the thing i'm worried about, I'm not into any sports, and i think it might be hard to make friends. I'm might be isolated if i live on my own in a new city. Of course theres house sharing... but im not sure i'd fancy that with a bunch of strangers.

What do you do for exercise then? :confused:

There are also lots of other types of clubs, what hobbies do you have?
Reply 7
What do you do for exercise then? :confused:

There are also lots of other types of clubs, what hobbies do you have?

I go running sometimes, but i prefer to go at my own pace. I work out every now and then.
I know many people who are the same as me back at university, as in they dont have any sports.
I go running sometimes, but i prefer to go at my own pace. I work out every now and then.
I know many people who are the same as me back at university, as in they dont have any sports.

and what hobbies do you have? You must have some sociable hobbies.

No offence to you OP, but it amazes me when people finish both school and uni and still don't like sports. Its like not liking music.
and what hobbies do you have? You must have some sociable hobbies.

No offence to you OP, but it amazes me when people finish both school and uni and still don't like sports. Its like not liking music.

I wasn't keen on sport at school but that was mostly because it was just "go outside and play football" for 5 years with very little alternatives available. At university there are so many sports available (at fairly affordable prices) that I'd be surprised if people couldn't find at least one they enjoy.
Do you think its a good idea to get a grad scheme near your university after you graduate?
I have found one, but a part of me feels like i should just move on and make a fresh start.
I have a few friends down there, which will be nice, but they are coupled up and will soon move away.
What do you think?

It really depends on where you go to university. For me my best options are to go back home. I live in a big city and there are a lot of companies hiring graduates but where I go to university, companies look for students with Welsh-language skills (at least for the field in which I want to go into).

You should look at where has the best prospects. You'll make new friends and you'll still keep the ones you have!
Original post by EloiseStar
It really depends on where you go to university. For me my best options are to go back home. I live in a big city and there are a lot of companies hiring graduates but where I go to university, companies look for students with Welsh-language skills (at least for the field in which I want to go into).

You should look at where has the best prospects. You'll make new friends and you'll still keep the ones you have!

Where I live at home, there are not many companies near me taking on graduates. There is portsmouth, I guess, about 40 mins away but i feel like i need to get away from living with my parents. I already have an assessment booked in a place in wales, 50 mins away from swansea. If im not 100% certain I want the job before i go into that assessment I will fail it, so i need to make the decision that its right for me before I go for it.
I like england, and i feel like i need to get out of wales, but at the same time I dont want to live away from friends, and I dont want to carry on living at home. Decisions.
I hear of horror stories on the internet of people moving to a new city, and making zero friends, coming back to an empty house. To me this sounds like hell, because i enjoy being sociable. I cant imagine ever becoming best budds with my work colleges.
Where I live at home, there are not many companies near me taking on graduates. There is portsmouth, I guess, about 40 mins away but i feel like i need to get away from living with my parents. I already have an assessment booked in a place in wales, 50 mins away from swansea. If im not 100% certain I want the job before i go into that assessment I will fail it, so i need to make the decision that its right for me before I go for it.
I like england, and i feel like i need to get out of wales, but at the same time I dont want to live away from friends, and I dont want to carry on living at home. Decisions.

Put your all into the assessment. You can make a decision afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending