The Student Room Group

AS - Falling behind in chemistry?

I have a chemistry teacher who is meant to be bad at teaching. We are now going into half term with just about the moles and equations and acids & bases content covered. I think that the teacher has spent far too long going over this content but others have said it is right since it is important to understand.

Anyway, I looked at the specification, out of the about 25 pages, we have completed 3. I seriously have doubts we will finish the spec.

What do i do? My dad offered to get a tutor or I could attempt to self teach. I don't really want to complain since a good relationship with the teacher is important.

Thanks, James.
Maybe do more for this subject than your others.

Bar Physics AS I would say that Chem is the 2nd hardest AS, with this being reversed at A2.

Make sure you max out on all the units.

Make notes on everything, do legacy papers, chemguide.

Maybe even do more Chemistry - iGCSE chem if you didn't get A Star, Olympiad, SAT 2 Chem.

Watch Khan Academy videos, maybe get a tutor too.

Aim to get all the content complete by the end of february on your own.

There is your A, now study and get it.

If you are doing OCR A maybe I can help more.
Reply 2
Original post by MiaxMalkovaxxx
Maybe do more for this subject than your others.

Bar Physics AS I would say that Chem is the 2nd hardest AS, with this being reversed at A2.

Make sure you max out on all the units.

Make notes on everything, do legacy papers, chemguide.

Maybe even do more Chemistry - iGCSE chem if you didn't get A Star, Olympiad, SAT 2 Chem.

Watch Khan Academy videos, maybe get a tutor too.

Aim to get all the content complete by the end of february on your own.

There is your A, now study and get it.

If you are doing OCR A maybe I can help more.

Thanks for the feedback. I am doing OCR A so am welcome to further help and have done the IGCSE with A*. Also, is the teacher going at the right speed or way too slow?

Thanks, James.
Original post by jamesgates1
Thanks for the feedback. I am doing OCR A so am welcome to further help and have done the IGCSE with A*. Also, is the teacher going at the right speed or way too slow?

Thanks, James.

David Kemps notes are good so is the alevelchemistry.co.uk website.

Go at your own speed that's what I did. Don't wait for your teacher to teach you the spec.
Reply 4
It is quite usual to spend a disportionately long time over the calculations section of the AS spec. It really is very fundamental to the chemistry A-level course. If you can't do the calculations well, much of the course will be a struggle.

The question you need to as yourself is, are you getting 100% on all calculations your asked to do?

If you're hoping to get an A* on the course, you really should be getting full marks on the assessed practicals and to do that, you have to be 100% on your calculations.
PM sent.

Original post by Pigster
If you're hoping to get an A* on the course, you really should be getting full marks on the assessed practicals and to do that, you have to be 100% on your calculations.

This is not correct as this is asking about AS and there is no A* at AS. To get an A* at A2 you have to have at least 480/600 and average 90% in A2 units. You could in theory get a B at AS and get an A* at A2 without doing re-sits.
That said getting full marks on the practicals is always a good thing!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I have a chemistry teacher who is meant to be bad at teaching. We are now going into half term with just about the moles and equations and acids & bases content covered. I think that the teacher has spent far too long going over this content but others have said it is right since it is important to understand.

Anyway, I looked at the specification, out of the about 25 pages, we have completed 3. I seriously have doubts we will finish the spec.

What do i do? My dad offered to get a tutor or I could attempt to self teach. I don't really want to complain since a good relationship with the teacher is important.

Thanks, James.

I think MiaxMalkovaxxx said it all really. I'm doing everything in that list he/she wrote and that's how I'm achieving my A's.
Your class does seem a little behind but my teacher said Unit 1 Module 1 is the hardest, so it's good to go over it thoroughly making sure you understand everything. Because I'm getting taught by a tutor, we're going at quite a fast pace. I'm on Unit 2 Module 2 right now, and we are aiming to finish the book by the end of November.
I think if you're worried about not finishing the spec on time, then seriously consider getting a tutor for one to one. It's really helpful and you'll move at a much quicker pace.
Reply 7

Thanks, James.

Hi James - I agree with what everyone has said so far. Self teaching is a good option but otherwise getting a tutor might just give you a bit of confidence. I had a maths tutor and used an online site called MyTutorWeb and it really helped me to get to grips with the stuff that my teacher didn't manage to explain properly. Hope that helps!
Self teach
Half term is the best time to go ahead ( my physics teacher is also going very slowly lol so I am self teaching myself physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
as chemistry is pretty easy especially the first module you shouldnt have an issue self studying.
In defence of your teacher: has s/he taught the course before? Does s/he know how fast you need to go to get through the material?

Conversely: have you been on the course before? Do you know how fast you need to go to get through the material?

Also, three pages in one half term. You're doing fine. There are six half terms in Y12 and about four in Y13. At three pages per half term, you'll get through 30 pages over the two years. Oh, there are only 25 to get through. What are you complaining about?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pigster
In defence of your teacher: has s/he taught the course before? Does s/he know how fast you need to go to get through the material?

Conversely: have you been on the course before? Do you know how fast you need to go to get through the material?

Also, three pages in one half term. You're doing fine. There are six half terms in Y12 and about four in Y13. At three pages per half term, you'll get through 30 pages over the two years. Oh, there are only 25 to get through. What are you complaining about?

The teacher has been teaching the syllabus for several years. From what i've hears, they are notorious for poor teaching. The syllabus of 25 pages is only for AS; with the autumn term being the longest.

Thanks, James.
F321 module 3 is mostly just factual - periodic table, groups 2 and 7 also most of F322 - the organic chemistry and resources is mostly factual and if you are motivated will be straight forward to teach yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest