The Student Room Group

Important message for international students. York college – outstanding mediocrity

Let me tell you about my experience at York College, hoping some international students thinking to join this place will change their mind. I first studied at York college when I had just moved to York, I wanted to improve my english language so I decided to join an english course there. The atmosphere was very childish and I had the impression of being in a primary school from the beginning. I carried on studying without caring too much about that, but after a few weeks I noticed that some old fashion tutors were really heavy with me, often commenting about my origins or making stupid and inappropriate jokes. I found them really ignorant and really annoying but I didn't want to mess up my studies. Around the end of the course some students from the middle east (more than half the class) decided to boicott the lessons because they didn't pass the english grammar test, the tutors failed in a ridiculous way and the foreign students cordinator decided to quit before the end of the course. What a great success!!! After a few months I was informed that all the teachers had been fired and the english course for international student wasn't running anymore.

I was still in York and I wanted to get a degree, I had previously studied photography, so I wanted to learn something connected to it. I was looking for a graphic design course in York, unfortunately at the time the only place that was running a graphic design course was York College.....Ok, this time I went there to talk with the head tutor of the course, things seemed to be different and I decided to give to York College a second chance. BIG MISTAKE!! The lessons were really poor and some of the teachers appeared absolutely incompetent, especially in photography the guy was just pathetic and his lessons were ridiculous. I have been working as photographer for several years and I can certainly say that he didn't have any idea of what photography is about. The head teacher was also very unprofessional, he didn't have any idea how to use the Adobe programs and he could't even be bothered to help, probably because he didn't know what to do, (how did he manage to get that job?). My classmates were among the last losers on earth, some of the most rough and useless people I have ever met in my life. I was stuck there again, but I managed to pass the first year. The second year also started in a ****ty way. I'd had enough of my classmates, plus the head teacher started to have a negative and annoying attitude with me, probably because he felt ridiculed when I made him notice how ignorant he was. During a lesson he had the brillant idea to insult me with racist comments in front of the class, I replied to him in a calm way, to make him understand how superior I was. Anyway it really made me understand how ****ed up some people are in this country. After a few days this situation happend again, but this time I freaked out and insulted him back in front of the class, I understood that it was time to quit with York College, I didn't want to be there anymore and they didn't deserve my money.

At the moment I'm still studying graphic design but I am now in one of the top ten schools of art in England. This is purely because of my own photography and personal graphic design projects. When I showed them what I had been doing at York College they simply laughed!

Moral of the story : AVOID York College! End of the story!

Quick Reply

Latest