The Student Room Group

Unemployed graphic design graduate..getting worried.

Hi guys,

I'm 23, nearly 24.

I graduated uni in June. (Well technically I didnt have my graduation ceremony until september), but I had finished the course in June.

In June I found myself with a job interview..and i got a job!! which was really quick as most people wasn't even looking for jobs at this point..

I was in the job until July and left due to the fact I wasn't even getting min wage, i was working more than 40 hours and doing over time and not getting paid for it, as well as doing work way above a junior role...basically I wasn't been treated very well.

I was so glad to be out of that horrible situation and actually looked forward to having a bit of a break to get my head together...

Now here we are in october..and i'm still unemployed!
the sleeping in, watching tv, been lazy has its perks but generally that has now got boring and I want to work! It was good at first as it felt like a break from my horrible job experience and also a break from 3 years hard work at uni..

I've tried to get some freelance work together, and as anyone knows its not as easy as it seems, you get small amounts and it isn't enough to make a living from.

So i've been applying for jobs..graphic design jobs at first..now its just any job! but still...nothing! sometimes not even a reply or an interview. just starting to feel down and it does feel like this 3 years of hard work was a bit of a waste...
I'll admit my last job HAS put me off graphic design jobs as I don't want to be taken advantage of again..and the whole 'staying till its done' isn't the most appealing aspect of design.. yes I know its the type of work were we have to do it..but I'll admit finishing work at the time and not going home worrying about is much more appealing, hence me applying for admin jobs, retail jobs, basically anything that I see as i'm getting desperate now. I have only been unemployed for 3-4 months but it does feel like a lifetime..

I just wondered if anyone else is in this situation or has any advice?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Try combining your graphics design skills with something like web development.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Why not look for any job to get you by for the minute then moonlight doing Graphics Design? Although you said that the jobs were small business tends to breed business through word of mouth hence you may find smaller jobs snowballing into more frequent and bigger jobs. Once you build up your online presence through social media and Google you have a much better chance of getting steady work. As stated above, you could possibly offer web development to attract more customers.
Reply 3
Original post by Matty.W
Why not look for any job to get you by for the minute then moonlight doing Graphics Design? Although you said that the jobs were small business tends to breed business through word of mouth hence you may find smaller jobs snowballing into more frequent and bigger jobs. Once you build up your online presence through social media and Google you have a much better chance of getting steady work. As stated above, you could possibly offer web development to attract more customers.

I'm basically looking for anything! and applying, but still not getting anywhere even with part time jobs! its ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest