The Student Room Group

Extremely loud housemate, waking me up every night, what can I do?

So one of my housemates is REALLY loud, she's up until 3-4am talking on the phone almost every night, and as of recent she's been bringing guys home.

I can put up with the talking on the phone, I just put some earphones in, but the sex is unbearable, my entire bed shakes and wakes me up, it has currently been going on for 2 and a half hours (it's now almost 5am).

I've spoken to her and she knows she's loud and I can hear her/it is waking me up, this doesn't seem to bother her.

I don't expect her to not bring guys home, but holy hell how can someone be so inconsiderate and LOUD? It honestly sounds like someone has been falling down stairs for 2+ hours accompanied by injured animal squeals.

I'm getting very ill and fatigued from the lack of sleep, I already have illness that make me weak and tired, and this really isn't helping.

My life is suffering and I'm missing lectures and classes because I'm so tired.

I really want to move out, but my contract does not allow me to.. does anyone have any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Why is she having sex in your bed?

If you can't beat em, join em.
are you able to move your bed? even a bit, away from the wall?
Get some earplugs instead of earphones
Why isnt this woman in my life
Reply 5
Original post by cole-slaw
Why is she having sex in your bed?

If you can't beat em, join em.

Haha, my bed is up against the same wall as hers, so she's in a different room.

Original post by arson_fire
Next time she wakes you up go bang on her door till she answers and tell her in no uncertain terms to shut the **** up.

Or perhaps you could start learning to play the drums, or bagpipes, and start practising about 8 in the morning.

I guess I need to bang on the wall or door or something.. just I'm quite a quiet person. I've thought about playing music really loud but that's unfair to my other housemates.

Original post by sliceofcake
are you able to move your bed? even a bit, away from the wall?

No, it's completely attached to the wall :frown:

Original post by kashim91
Get some earplugs instead of earphones

She's so loud that I don't think it'd make a difference, plus it would still be impossible to sleep from my entire bed shaking violently, I literally cannot stay in bed while it's happening.
You can't really complain about people having noisy sex, people can't help making noise. You're just going to have to find a partner and join in.
Reply 7
You can't really complain about people having noisy sex, people can't help making noise. You're just going to have to find a partner and join in.

I expected it, I have a partner myself, I am not complaining about the fact it's happening.

I am complaining about the extremely inconsiderate timing, being woken up at 3 and being kept awake until 6am by a couple having violent sex is the same as being woken up by someone playing loud music or screaming.
Original post by Kaytiekins
I expected it, I have a partner myself, I am not complaining about the fact it's happening.

I am complaining about the extremely inconsiderate timing, being woken up at 3 and being kept awake until 6am by a couple having violent sex is the same as being woken up by someone playing loud music or screaming.

having violent sex for 3 hours is pretty impressive. The girl deserves a bloody medal.

Load of rubbish. Part of living with others is learning to be considerate. Obviously her flatmate can't do that. If you can't shut up during sex (or at least be a bit quieter), then don't do it when you know the person right next to you past the paper thin wall is trying to sleep!
Original post by Kaytiekins
So one of my housemates is REALLY loud, she's up until 3-4am talking on the phone almost every night, and as of recent she's been bringing guys home.

I can put up with the talking on the phone, I just put some earphones in, but the sex is unbearable, my entire bed shakes and wakes me up, it has currently been going on for 2 and a half hours (it's now almost 5am).

I've spoken to her and she knows she's loud and I can hear her/it is waking me up, this doesn't seem to bother her.

I don't expect her to not bring guys home, but holy hell how can someone be so inconsiderate and LOUD? It honestly sounds like someone has been falling down stairs for 2+ hours accompanied by injured animal squeals.

I'm getting very ill and fatigued from the lack of sleep, I already have illness that make me weak and tired, and this really isn't helping.

My life is suffering and I'm missing lectures and classes because I'm so tired.

I really want to move out, but my contract does not allow me to.. does anyone have any suggestions?

2 and a half hours .... impressive. :closedeyes:
Broken Britain.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Load of rubbish. Part of living with others is learning to be considerate. Obviously her flatmate can't do that. If you can't shut up during sex (or at least be a bit quieter), then don't do it when you know the person right next to you past the paper thin wall is trying to sleep!

Yeah, but when the mood takes you for some violent sex, its hard to think about anything other than the task in hand.

I'm just impressed there is someone on TSR having sex.
Yeah, but when the mood takes you for some violent sex, its hard to think about anything other than the task in hand.

I'm just impressed there is someone on TSR having sex.

Erm, moi?
Original post by JulietheCat
Erm, moi?

TMI
Can you video the sound/shaking effect in your room then play it back to her so she knows the effect it's having?
Reply 16
Original post by stargirl63
2 and a half hours .... impressive. :closedeyes:

There was a few breaks for a minute or two, but still, I think I would've fallen asleep by that time if my partner was taking so long!
Original post by Crumpet1
Can you video the sound/shaking effect in your room then play it back to her so she knows the effect it's having?

Record it and than play it loudly when she is trying to sleep.
Reply 18
Original post by Crumpet1

That sounds a little bit inappropriate... and frankly a bit creepy?
Maybe try and talk to her again about it?

I work at 6am, sometimes 7am so I leave my house at 5/6 and I am as quiet as possible. I have asked in the past whether I wake my housemates up..Surely people should be considerate of others? I don't get that kind of mentality.

Just try and speak to her and see if she will be more considerate? Either that or (and I don't think you should have to do this but it may be the only way) try and change your sleeping pattern? I'm not saying to stay awake all night or anything but maybe try alter it and maybe have naps during the day?

I was going to ask about moving the bed..then I read the above.

That situation is really not ideal at all. I'm not saying to go all evil on her...but wait until she has an exam the next day and make some noise..guaranteed she will come knocking down your door and asking why you are so inconsiderate etc. But some people genuinely need to have it happen to them to actually understand.

Quick Reply