The Student Room Group

Teaching yourself physics

After 20 years of being a locksmith, I have decided that I want to get a university degree and I'll be starting next year! As part of my degree, I will be doing three physics courses which will cover - Engineering Mechanics: Statics, Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, mechanics of particles, thermal physics and electricity & magnetism.

The problem? It has been two decades since I've touched any textbook, let alone a physics textbook, yet I need to learn physics from 'what is physics?' to first year university physics that is calculus-based and rigorous.

If you were in my situation, what would your strategy be?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You want to go from pre-GCSE physics to Uni maths? How long have you got?
Original post by Lockie123
Imagine you're in your early 40's and it has been two decades since you've touched any textbook, let alone a physics textbook, yet you need to learn physics from 'what is physics?' to first year university physics which is calculus-based and rigorous. What would your strategy be?

Welcome to TSR physics.

Could make it clear whether you are actually asking for advice here or if this is a hypothetical "discussion" question. If it's the former it should ensure you get more focussed replies.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Wissenschaft
You want to go from pre-GCSE physics to Uni maths? How long have you got?

A year.

Original post by Stonebridge
Welcome to TSR physics.

Could make it clear whether you are actually asking for advice here or if this is a hypothetical "discussion" question. If it's the former it should ensure you get more focussed replies.

Thanks

I've added more details and hopefully that helps. I never knew people would be interested in the extra details, it's great! :smile:
How can I self-teach AS Physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Anyone?
Reply 6
Original post by arson_fire
What is the degree title?

It's a Bachelor of Engineering.
Reply 7
The OU used to do a course called S207 which was a physics course designed to take you from virtually no-knowledge through to end of 1st year standard. Did it myself and got entry to 2nd year based on having it. It`s a large course and a bit light on the maths, but it`s a good introduction to physics especially if you`re self studying. The coursebooks should be available on Amazon or ebay etc. I might still have some on pdf somewhere.

I do prefer to have a textbook that is calculus based. Any recommendations?
Reply 8
Are you the same use who was querying about how long it would take to learn a load of pure maths for a degree study?

What exactly is the course you will be doing, and how much stuff in total would you need to catch up on?
Original post by Edminzodo
How can I self-teach AS Physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pick up a AS physics text book. Read it. Wheres my noble prize bro?
Reply 10
I actually struggled to find a textbook that I could use along side the course as most of the ones pitched for a-level students assumed you had a teacher, and the uni texts were a bit too advanced for me.

Some "proper" textbooks i`ve used are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/University-Physics-Modern-MasteringPhysics-Package/dp/0321762193/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414169161&sr=8-3&keywords=university+physics

That looks good. If I were to choose between Young/Freedman and Halliday/Resnick, which should I choose and why?

Is that the most updated version of the textbook?

The US and UK versions of the textbook seem different. Is there a difference between physics in the US and the UK?

Once I have learnt calculus, should I be able to use that textbook, even if I don't know what physics is? In other words, does it start from the absolute basics?

Final question, what specifically do I need to have mastered from calculus to be able to use this textbook?

Original post by lerjj
Are you the same use who was querying about how long it would take to learn a load of pure maths for a degree study?

What exactly is the course you will be doing, and how much stuff in total would you need to catch up on?

Yes I am, I'll be asking the same question for a few other subjects as well.

It's a Bachelor of Engineering and I need to catch up on a lot but I should make at least an effort even if I don't succeed!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Bump!
Bump!

Do you understand trigonometry?

That is, sin (theta) = opposite/hypotenuse.
cos(theta) = adjacent/hypotenuse.
tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent?

Do you know Pythagoras theorem?
After 20 years of being a locksmith, I have decided that I want to get a university degree and I'll be starting next year! As part of my degree, I will be doing three physics courses which will cover - Engineering Mechanics: Statics, Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, mechanics of particles, thermal physics and electricity & magnetism.

The problem? It has been two decades since I've touched any textbook, let alone a physics textbook, yet I need to learn physics from 'what is physics?' to first year university physics that is calculus-based and rigorous.

If you were in my situation, what would your strategy be?

This is the best book to begin studying physics from:

http://www.pascalpress.com.au/quicksmart-introductory-physics/

This is the best book for learning physics fundamentals and calculations, as it introduces a concept, and then goes through step by step worked examples on how to solve the problem.

The emphasis is on problem solving in physics and if you can master this book you will have a good foundation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Do you understand trigonometry?

That is, sin (theta) = opposite/hypotenuse.
cos(theta) = adjacent/hypotenuse.
tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent?

Do you know Pythagoras theorem?

I am learning mathematics from the ground up as well. I will make sure I know about trigonometry and Pythagoras' theorem before starting with physics. What other mathematics topics should I know very well before starting with physics?

This is the best book to begin studying physics from:

http://www.pascalpress.com.au/quicksmart-introductory-physics/

This is the best book for learning physics fundamentals and calculations, as it introduces a concept, and then goes through step by step worked examples on how to solve the problem.

The emphasis is on problem solving in physics and if you can master this book you will have a good foundation.

That looks like a good book. It's a study guide though, does it still go into enough detail? I looked at the contents and was surprised, this is content you'll rarely ever see in a high school physics course! Hopefully I can get it in the UK.

Once I go through that book, should I be able to start with a university physics textbook? If so, which would you recommend? I've been looking at 'University Physics' by Young/Freedman, 'Fundamentals of Physics' by Halliday/Resnick and 'Essential University Physics' by Wolfson. It must be calculus-based.

What specifically do I need to have mastered from calculus before starting with a university physics textbook?
(edited 9 years ago)
I am sorry but one year to learn everything? I too am a bit older and decided to go into a science based degree. I started my studies last year and currently on my A2s in Chemistry, maths, physics and biology. It is really hard work, I hope you know that, have you enrolled to take A levels somewhere? I am an external student, I suggest you find a sixth form that will let you take the exams as external student, and then buy the syllabus books. I am taking my exams with AQA and have their books by the CGP group as well as some extra books and use the internet at TSR regularly. It is not easy to go back into education I am late twenties myself and looking to do biomedicine or another chemistry related degree. If you are asking the questions you are then you haven't yet enrolled somewhere as they would have filled you in on all that info. Or am I missing something here?
I am learning mathematics from the ground up as well. I will make sure I know about trigonometry and Pythagoras' theorem before starting with physics. What other mathematics topics should I know very well before starting with physics?

That looks like a good book. It's a study guide though, does it still go into enough detail? I looked at the contents and was surprised, this is content you'll rarely ever see in a high school physics course! Hopefully I can get it in the UK.

Once I go through that book, should I be able to start with a university physics textbook? If so, which would you recommend? I've been looking at 'University Physics' by Young/Freedman, 'Fundamentals of Physics' by Halliday/Resnick and 'Essential University Physics' by Wolfson. It must be calculus-based.

What specifically do I need to have mastered from calculus before starting with a university physics textbook?

For physics you will need to be a master of algebra (e.g. re-arranging complex equations). You will also need to understand trigonometry. The book I linked does briefly explain trigonometry but it is intended as revision and may be a bit light on the explanation for someone who has never done it.

You will also need to learn derivatives and integrals. To learn this you will need to understand limits and functions, and the concept of a gradient = rise/run. If a gradient is 3, it means that the graph moves 3 units up for every 1 unit moved across. For a straight line graph, the gradient (or slope) is constant. For a curve, the slope is changing all the time, and the derivative calculates the slope of the curve at any value of x.

(e.g. the derivative of the graph y = x^2 (^ means to the power of) is 2x. This means when x =3, the slope of the graph y=x^2 is given by 2*3 = 6. )

If you can do everything in that book I listed, then you will be fine for the calculations part of university physics. The book thoroughly teaches 1st year university level mechanics to calculus level. The book is light on "general knowledge", but is the best book for learning how to calculate, which is considered the hard part of physics.

The book's weakness is that it is light in the areas of special relativity and quantum mechanics, but these are less likely to be touched in your courses, and I assure if you can get through the book I linked, then you will have reached a level of mathematical sophistication that no mathematical problem will be too much to grasp.

Once you have finished with this book, I recommend reading Wolfson Essential University physics.

This book has a lot more knowledge in it than the one I linked, but the explanations on how to do calculations are much poorer and thus this is a poor choice to start on, but a good book to look at after reading the one I linked.
Reply 17
For physics you will need to be a master of algebra (e.g. re-arranging complex equations). You will also need to understand trigonometry. The book I linked does briefly explain trigonometry but it is intended as revision and may be a bit light on the explanation for someone who has never done it.

You will also need to learn derivatives and integrals. To learn this you will need to understand limits and functions, and the concept of a gradient = rise/run. If a gradient is 3, it means that the graph moves 3 units up for every 1 unit moved across. For a straight line graph, the gradient (or slope) is constant. For a curve, the slope is changing all the time, and the derivative calculates the slope of the curve at any value of x.

(e.g. the derivative of the graph y = x^2 (^ means to the power of) is 2x. This means when x =3, the slope of the graph y=x^2 is given by 2*3 = 6. )

If you can do everything in that book I listed, then you will be fine for the calculations part of university physics. The book thoroughly teaches 1st year university level mechanics to calculus level. The book is light on "general knowledge", but is the best book for learning how to calculate, which is considered the hard part of physics.

The book's weakness is that it is light in the areas of special relativity and quantum mechanics, but these are less likely to be touched in your courses, and I assure if you can get through the book I linked, then you will have reached a level of mathematical sophistication that no mathematical problem will be too much to grasp.

Once you have finished with this book, I recommend reading Wolfson Essential University physics.

This book has a lot more knowledge in it than the one I linked, but the explanations on how to do calculations are much poorer and thus this is a poor choice to start on, but a good book to look at after reading the one I linked.

Thank you very much! May I ask what you like about Wolfson's 'Essential University Physics'? It's not a textbook I've heard mentioned very often!
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you very much! May I ask what you like about Wolfson's 'Essential University Physics'? It's not a textbook I've heard mentioned very often!

That is the textbook I used for my first year studying physics. I liked how it had lots of problems to practice on and it has a vast amount of information. Other books may be good as well, but I can only vouch for this one.
That looks good. If I were to choose between Young/Freedman and Halliday/Resnick, which should I choose and why?

Is that the most updated version of the textbook?

The US and UK versions of the textbook seem different. Is there a difference between physics in the US and the UK?

Once I have learnt calculus, should I be able to use that textbook, even if I don't know what physics is? In other words, does it start from the absolute basics?

Final question, what specifically do I need to have mastered from calculus to be able to use this textbook?

Yes I am, I'll be asking the same question for a few other subjects as well.

It's a Bachelor of Engineering and I need to catch up on a lot but I should make at least an effort even if I don't succeed!

Okay so I have the University Physics book by Young/freedman, and it's great! I self study physics ahead just for fun (i'm a sixth form student). Firstly, there is practically ZERO difference between the us and the international, I recommend you get the international (I think it's cheaper, although I'm not sure). Secondly, you WILL need some calculus back ground, especially when you get to electricity and magnetism chapters. I think you can skip some of the calculus in the beginning, but as you go along the calculus needed will be of a much higher level; so I recommend studying them side by side and try to finish single variable calculus by the end of mechanics.
NOTE: I know for a fact that they use this book in some unis in the US, i.e this book maybe of a higher level than what you need so watch out for that.

Quick Reply

Latest