The Student Room Group

Why is racism towards East-Asians seen as more acceptable than to Africans?

....especially in Anglosphere countries. Why the double standards/hyprocisy? Share your views! :biggrin:
I dont recall any east asians being racially abused
Wait . . . What?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Why would racism be acceptable anywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chukster97

Because you're always there to witness it. /sarcasm. :rolleyes:
Slavery.
I've noticed this too. When I was sat in a cafe with my friend [who is one of the nicest people I know], there was an East-Asian girl sitting across from us. My friend turned to me and said "She's quite pretty...for a Chinese person". Replace the word "Chinese" with another race and 9 times out of 10 the sentence becomes so blatantly racist. I know my friend didn't mean it in a malicious way or anything. She was just so oblivious to the fact that what she said could be interpreted as being quite offensive. I've also heard others make generalizations about Chinese people and, again, their words would be considered "unacceptable" if they were comments about people of any other race.

And, for some reason, any person that looks east-Asian is automatically "Chinese" to most people.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that East-Asians make up a relatively small percentage of ethnic minorities in Britain. Most people that I know don't even know an east-Asian. We only learn about "them" through existing stereotypes and not much else. As a whole, our society is made less aware of racism towards east-Asians specifically. We give the topic less thought and so when people say inappropriate things [about east-Asians] it doesn't quite register to the same effect as it would if they were speaking of, for example, black people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chukster97

Yes you do. Indirectly everytime Mr.Smurf is rejected by a white girl.
Original post by iammeyouareyou
I've noticed this too. When I was sat in a cafe with my friend [who is one of the nicest people I know], there was an East-Asian girl sitting across from us. My friend turned to me and said "She's quite pretty...for a Chinese person". Replace the word "Chinese" with another race and 9 times out of 10 the sentence becomes so blatantly racist. I know my friend didn't mean it in a malicious way or anything. She was just so oblivious to the fact that what she said could be interpreted as being quite offensive. I've also heard others make generalizations about Chinese people and, again, their words would be considered "unacceptable" if they were comments about people of any other race.

And, for some reason, any person that looks east-Asian is automatically "Chinese" to most people.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that East-Asians make up a relatively small percentage of ethnic minorities in Britain. Most people that I know don't even know an east-Asian. We only learn about "them" through existing stereotypes and not much else. As a whole, our society is made less aware of racism towards east-Asians specifically. We give the topic less thought and so when people say inappropriate things [about east-Asians] it doesn't quite register to the same effect as it would if they were speaking of, for example, black people.

https://www.tumblr.com/

One of the main reasons it doesn't get a lot of attention is because most East Asians in Western countries tend to be more middle or upper-middle class and most do very well academically therefore there isn't that oh they are poor because they are discriminated against in White societies where lesser minorities tend to be less economically well off and keep asking for handouts.

Does racism against east-Asians happen? You bet. In many companies there is such a thing called a "Glass ceiling" and if you are an East Asian no matter how good you are you will never get beyond that.
The Yanks' history with the two
bump
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LaughingBro
....especially in Anglosphere countries. Why the double standards/hyprocisy? Share your views! :biggrin:

wow why do you have so many negs? lol

Quick Reply

Latest