The Student Room Group

Five Reasons Why Women Are Under Represented In Engineering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Why does it matter? Why try and push women to do something that they quite clearly don't want to do?

See my earlier post about CompSci... Women were very much wanting to do it, until the 1980's.

There's no reason why women shouldn't do engineering either. After all engineering, isn't about being a mechanic, so physical "strength" is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
See my earlier post about CompSci... Women were very much wanting to do it, until the 1980's.

There's no reason why women shouldn't do engineering either. After all engineering, isn't about being a mechanic, so physical "strength" is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They shouldn't do it if they don't want to, that's a pretty good reason.

Okay, perhaps marketing strategies and popular movies had some impact on how many women wanted to go into Computer Science. Do we have a moral imperative to even out such cases? Of course not. It's not possible or desire able to strip back all influences on a person's decision making process, conscious or sub-conscious.

People should do what jobs they want, there's no reason to purposefully manipulate them.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

The hypothesis of your article is pretty unsound, by the way. Girls in this generation - and for many years now - have had extremely powerful computers at their disposal and in their pockets in equal numbers to boys.

It is interesting to think about why the proportion of women in computer science fell as it did, but social conditioning from a young age does not seem to be the answer.

One may look at the corresponding graphs for, say, Psychology - if that began to be considered a mainstream degree subject around that point in time, for example, and women were naturally more interested in that subject, then a corresponding decrease would have to occur in some other subject - and most likely, the ones they were least interested in.
Original post by ClickItBack
The hypothesis of your article is pretty unsound, by the way. Girls in this generation - and for many years now - have had extremely powerful computers at their disposal and in their pockets in equal numbers to boys.

It is interesting to think about why the proportion of women in computer science fell as it did, but social conditioning from a young age does not seem to be the answer.

One may look at the corresponding graphs for, say, Psychology - if that began to be considered a mainstream degree subject around that point in time, for example, and women were naturally more interested in that subject, then a corresponding decrease would have to occur in some other subject - and most likely, the ones they were least interested in.

I think women care more about themselves and their immediate surroundings while guys care more about the world around them. Look at wikipedia - the global encyclopedia, I believe like 92% of their editors are male. If you look at fashion - mostly women. The news and debate section is mostly men is another example.
Reply 24

There is no specific reason I can see why any of her arguments should hold true for Engineering but not Law.

Law is certainly a more cutthroat and sexist environment than academia or an engineering department, but that doesn't seem to deter women. In fact, the real mystery is not 'why do women not go on to get X% of tenured positions in the mathematically-related sciences' but rather 'why do women overwhelmingly prefer Law over Engineering when choosing undergraduate degrees', which none of her points address.

In fact, every discipline in the past was a more sexist environment than now, but that didn't stop women attaining parity from a starting point of 0% in many of them. Discrimination and sexual remarks are by no means a particular proclivity of engineers . . .
Thinking about it I've never heard a single woman ever complain about not persuaded to do engineering as a career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smack

I also think it can be quite daunting for a girl to go into engineering, especially if she wasn't the type that played with Lego or Meccano. Not because she'll face sexual discrimination, but because she'll likely be amongst people who did play with Lego and Mecanno from a young age, who have essentially been doing engineering from a young age, and they'll be talking a practically different language.

Lego is interesting because there is almost a complete collection of their literature on the internet.

Compare their 1971 and 1973 catalogues with their 2014 one.

Even with the doll's house furniture in the 1970s catalogues, I think there is much more gender segregation (certainly after the Duplo bricks) in their modern toys. There is not a pink brick in sight in the 1970s. Lego City and Lego Creator houses from their modern offer have no female figures whereas the Swiss chalet and Spanish villa from 1971 look perfectly girl-friendly.

(Incidentally to show just how much a Lego nerd I was; out of that 1971 catalogue I had sets 103, 313 (my first model), 344, 348, 373, 375, 377, 600, 601, 604, 605, 608, 640, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646, 647, 648 and 801 and even wrote to Wrexham for some of the spare parts!)
Original post by ClickItBack
There is no specific reason I can see why any of her arguments should hold true for Engineering but not Law.

Law is certainly a more cutthroat and sexist environment than academia or an engineering department, but that doesn't seem to deter women. In fact, the real mystery is not 'why do women not go on to get X% of tenured positions in the mathematically-related sciences' but rather 'why do women overwhelmingly prefer Law over Engineering when choosing undergraduate degrees', which none of her points address.

In fact, every discipline in the past was a more sexist environment than now, but that didn't stop women attaining parity from a starting point of 0% in many of them. Discrimination and sexual remarks are by no means a particular proclivity of engineers . . .

The Aston VC is interesting because she was an academic engineer who joined Rolls Royce in a senior managerial position. If she asked herself why she didn't take up a graduate traineeship with Rolls when she finished either her Tripos or her PhD I suspect that her answers would bear no relation to the reasons she gave in her article.
I tend to agree with the article but maybe we are missing another vital point in that maybe in general,women just dont find Engineering appealing. Plenty of men dont find it appealing either. Who is it that is driving this agenda to somehow encourage and cajole women into traditionally male roles?

Is there a parallel agenda to cajole men into traditional female roles? I suspect not because in many of those roles there is a dirty little suggestion that men can be dangerous. They might commit sexual offences.

We couldnt have more male nursery nurses or midwives and similar.

Of course part of the issue is the blurred line caused by the misuse of the word Engineer and the term Engineering.

Do we mean Engineering with a capital or small e?

To be a registered professional Engineer it is my understanding that one has to be suitably qualified to gain registration with the Engineering Council via a suitable registration body.

And yet the term Engineer isnt protected so anyone who can wield a screwdriver can be called an engineer.

Again, are we really talking about the agenda to put women in Engineering/Management roles where they stride purposefully around in their brand new rigger boots and bright yellow jackets instructing their underling males who are up to their necks in muck, like some modern day Boadicea in her 4 x4 ?

Truth is that there is now positive discrimination in many big companies and women are being parachuted into management roles and men with years of experience are being ignored.
I work with engineers and half the people in my small team are female.

Company wide we've gone from 18 to 40% female over the last eighteen months.

This is in a company of scientists and engineers mostly.
Reply 31
I am skeptical, doubtless they play a part but I would think that those reasons applied equally (if not more so) to other careers such as medicine where women have actually become well represented. I highly doubt that the cultural barrier to women becoming engineers was stronger than to them becoming doctors.
Original post by lucaf
I am skeptical, doubtless they play a part but I would think that those reasons applied equally (if not more so) to other careers such as medicine where women have actually become well represented. I highly doubt that the cultural barrier to women becoming engineers was stronger than to them becoming doctors.

It doesn't work like that. Remember Oprah Winfrey, worth over a $billion, complaining of racial discrimination because she walked into an expensive jewelry shop in Switzerland and she wasn't shown the most expensive jewelry right away?
Reply 33
Original post by perfectsymbology
It doesn't work like that. Remember Oprah Winfrey, worth over a $billion, complaining of racial discrimination because she walked into an expensive jewelry shop in Switzerland and she wasn't shown the most expensive jewelry right away?

I am not sure of the relevance of the Oprah thing.

But seriously, how comes traditionally male professions such as law and medicine now manage to have equal numbers of women joining as men while engineering is unable to get even close? What additional social barriers were there to women in engineering that were not faced by female doctors?

Hell, I am training to be a vet. A hundred years ago a female vet would have been unthinkable and now the profession is majorly dominated by women. If that is possible I don't see why women would be so far behind in engineering, unless it is simply because women tend not to be interested in it.
Original post by Aston University
Our Vice-Chancellor wrote an article for the guardian on why women are under represented in science and engineering. What do you all think, do you agree and feel put off taking a course in engineering for these reasons? or are you a female engineer and think it's all a load of hogwash?

http://www.theguardian.com/women-in-leadership/women-leadership-blog/2014/oct/20/women-science-engineering-under-representation

I don't think we should attempt to socially engineer our society just to comply with someone's idea that there has to be 50/50 gender split or "diversity" by having everyone from different races and etc.

We should take the focus off who has a penis or vagina and what colour they are and rather just treat everyone equally because we are all people. Why does it matter that less women choose to pursue certain professions? seems like nobody cares that less men pursue certain professions.

Regarding this article, I think it's bull****.

I don't think it's fair to create some special easy way in options for one gender, just because they tend not to go into such careers. You want best people working in science, not someone recruited just because they lack a penis.
Emma Watsons speech was crap, if she really stands for equality then she should stop labelling herself as feminist and start new movement "equalist" because feminism is only concerned with rights of women, they don't stand for or care about equal rights for men.

And lastly, there is going to be more women graduates in coming years than men and according to "statistics" women do better in school than men, so what is the problem exactly and why is it even a problem, no one ****ing requires anyone to have a dick if you want to work as a mechanical engineer or programmer, go for it if you want.

Maybe what feminist really want is some form of totalitarianism where people get allocated what they'll study and have to work, because **** freedom of choice, you need someone behind every kid whispering in their ear what to choose and events in schools to specifically encourage girls to go for STEM, right?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lucaf
I am not sure of the relevance of the Oprah thing.

But seriously, how comes traditionally male professions such as law and medicine now manage to have equal numbers of women joining as men while engineering is unable to get even close? What additional social barriers were there to women in engineering that were not faced by female doctors?

Hell, I am training to be a vet. A hundred years ago a female vet would have been unthinkable and now the profession is majorly dominated by women. If that is possible I don't see why women would be so far behind in engineering, unless it is simply because women tend not to be interested in it.

Just my 2 cents on social barriers...

I interned for 6 months at an engineering company and can totally see why girls are put off by engineering - it was the sort of place where I got teased by people on the shop floor, men wouldn't let me carry things or open doors for myself and people made sexist remarks quite frequently with me in earshot, or even directly at me. I was always having to prove that I'm good 'despite being a woman', which is a pretty rubbish situation to be in. I spoke to a woman who trained there as an apprentice engineer, got enough qualifications to go to uni, then switched to marketing because she couldn't take the workplace atmosphere any more. The only women engineers there were married to other engineers at the company. Compared to another place that I've worked, it was awful and very backwards.

But why did I put myself through it? Because I loved the work, and wanted to prove people wrong. How were things going to change if I quit?
Original post by lucaf
unless it is simply because women tend not to be interested in it.

That isn't really an answer. One has to ask why aren't women interested in it.

8% of bus drivers are female. 4% of train drivers are female. Bus driving has very flexible shift patterns and can easily accommodate child care. Train driving has inflexible shift patterns. One might think that provides an answer but 27% of train guards and on-train catering staff are female.

5.5% of engineering professionals are women.
Reply 37
Original post by SadRedWhale
Just my 2 cents on social barriers...

I interned for 6 months at an engineering company and can totally see why girls are put off by engineering - it was the sort of place where I got teased by people on the shop floor, men wouldn't let me carry things or open doors for myself and people made sexist remarks quite frequently with me in earshot, or even directly at me. I was always having to prove that I'm good 'despite being a woman', which is a pretty rubbish situation to be in. I spoke to a woman who trained there as an apprentice engineer, got enough qualifications to go to uni, then switched to marketing because she couldn't take the workplace atmosphere any more. The only women engineers there were married to other engineers at the company. Compared to another place that I've worked, it was awful and very backwards.

But why did I put myself through it? Because I loved the work, and wanted to prove people wrong. How were things going to change if I quit?

But all those barriers and more would have been present for a woman training to be a doctor or lawyer, and yet women are now normalized in those professions. So what was the difference? Why were women able to break into some male dominated careers and not others?

Original post by nulli tertius
That isn't really an answer. One has to ask why aren't women interested in it.

8% of bus drivers are female. 4% of train drivers are female. Bus driving has very flexible shift patterns and can easily accommodate child care. Train driving has inflexible shift patterns. One might think that provides an answer but 27% of train guards and on-train catering staff are female.

5.5% of engineering professionals are women.

True, but I don't think that social conditioning is a good enough reason when it certainly hasn't stopped them in other careers.
Original post by lucaf

True, but I don't think that social conditioning is a good enough reason when it certainly hasn't stopped them in other careers.

Rather than sitting there sucking a pencil and thinking about what the problem is, they need to go out and ask girls at various ages.

I will offer the results of my pencil sucking. I think a lot of this is to do with entry stage and risk. I think a lot of women who enter male dominated jobs are able to do it late, when they are more willing to take a risk. The pin up girl for women in train driving has a degree in geography. Engineering is a profession to which one must commit (in terms of school subjects) early and there are very few good bail out options for those who don't quite make it (the proportion of women mechanics and technicians particularly outside the military is worse than for engineers). Medicine, in that sense is a lot less risky. There are many female friendly professions allied to medicine.

I don't think girls do this consciously but I think professional engineering looks like a very small hole in the world of work in the way that lets say, being a barrister doesn't.

If I am right, then what universities need to do is find a way of giving easy internal moves into engineering for those with good maths qualifications who are reading something else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Female engineer here.

I think most of the article is a load of crap, other than visibility. It contributes to the fact that women simply do not know what engineering is.

It's not something you get taught in school (at least in my time) and you'd assume an engineer is that guy who came over to fix the boiler. It's something I really had to look up myself. Even now when I tell people what I do for a living, most have no idea what my job involves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending