The Student Room Group

Perfect age to have kids

Poll

What age would you like to have your FIRST baby?

What age do you want to have kids at?

You can give reasons if you like or be more specific if your choice falls in one of the brackets. I've banded ages together at the "extreme" ends of the scale because I'm limited to 16 choices. There are lots of lovely sensible people who will talk about being emotionally and financially stable but when do you hope that will be.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never! You can't make me!
Now would be a good time. As a couple we're doing ok financially and emotionally we're very much stable. We've been together for a decent amount of time and we've always wanted children young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
When one is both emotionally and financially stable.

However, my friend's girlfriend is raking in about £1400 a month from benefits and maintenance from the dad, so pretty much whenever the **** you want if you're a lass.
Reply 4
Original post by miser
Never! You can't make me!

Should probably have added an option to my poll for that one! Damn 16 choice limit. I can see the appeal of not having kids. I'm unsure if I want one or not.
There's no perfect age to have kids, it depends on the person and it depends on the circumstances.

I had my first at 21, my second at 23, my third at 25 and my fourth at 29.

Of all of those, the first and last were the most inconvenient. But that's personal circumstance, nothing to do with how old I was.
If I do have children, looks like it'll have to be my 30s (I'm 27 now, and doesn't seem likely at the moment). It worries me, because of the time restriction. I don't want to bring a life into the world to "get it out of the way" but at the same time, that's what it'll probably feel like...
One of those things that I'll only be able to answer in retrospect, because I don't know what being broody feels like.

I'm 24 now.
Original post by cosmiccurtains
If I do have children, looks like it'll have to be my 30s (I'm 27 now, and doesn't seem likely at the moment). It worries me, because of the time restriction. I don't want to bring a life into the world to "get it out of the way" but at the same time, that's what it'll probably feel like...

Don't worry, my parents were 34 and 35 when I was born (I'm an only child), and it wasn't, and still isn't a problem.
Don't want kids...no point!
Reply 10
There's no such thing as the perfect time to have children, just a least idiotic time.
Brb gonna have a kid when I'm 60 as I will have retired and have lots of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think 28 is perfect for the first child. I want to own a house, have been married for at least a year before I get pregnant and have enough money to put £1000 a year per child away for their university fund. I've always wanted to be a youngish mum and I want at least three children so any later than that is going to be inconvenient. I'm 21 now and I used to think I had loads of time before it was time to have kids but now it's all starting to look a bit tight time wise.
love how there's an over thirty-eight option but no under sixteen :c
Reply 14
Original post by louieee

I left out under 16 as most women don't want kids before 16. Also, I'm going off the age of consent.

When you look at the scatter of results most are towards older ages than younger ages anyway.
Original post by louieee
are you serious...loadsa of people have kids post 38 even!:O

many in their 40s especially our generation....

far less than under 16's
28 because I'll have a husband, house and be stable in my job by then.
Whenever the time feels right, there's no definite answer, although I would want to have a job for a few years, have a house + savings and then think about having children

Posted from TSR Mobile
Three years after I get married

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me as a man and with the benefit of hindsight and foresight i think that 28-30 is an ideal age to knock my woman up although realistically i expect to be in my early 30's before i produce a genetic heir to somebody i actually want to be the mother of my child.

For women i actually think that many make a mistake in disrupting their careers. Provided that they have a stable partner who's generally a few years older than them anyway then i'd say 19-21 years old may actually be a good time to spit the kid out before you consider a second or call time and begin your career.

Quick Reply