The Student Room Group

Medieval Studies or Early Childhood Studies

I have a real dilemma here, I have a genuine passion, some say obsession, with the Medieval era in England and would love to do a BA in Medieval Studies at University of Wales, Trinity ST David as this is the only uni I have found that does it.
The problem is Wales is 4 1/2 hours away from where we live and my parents don't want me to go far. Plus I really wanted to go to one of the unis in York. another downfall of doing this course is that I have no idea what I would do job wise once I have my degree and I haven't done History at GCSE or A level.
Another choice I could do is Early Childhood Studies, this is at York St John and I do like working with children but I cannot see me doing it every day of my life. doing this course would mean I know I can go into nurseries etc but I really want to do Medieval Studies.
please help, I have no clue what I'm doing.
I think you need to be realistic. If no university near you offers the degree you want, you either don't do it or you accept that you need to move further away. That said, more than one university does medieval studies. You need to look closely at degree specifications and the modules on offer. Just because a degree isn't called 'Medieval Studies' doesn't mean it won't have the modules you're looking for.

St Andrews does degrees in both Medieval Studies and Medieval History.
Queen Mary does Medieval History.
Aberdeen does Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Studies.
Swansea does Medieval Studies and History.
Birmingham does Ancient and Medieval History.
Aberystwyth does Medieval and Early Modern History.
Nottingham does Viking Studies.
Lancaster does Medieval and Renaissance Studies.

I don't know anything about Early Childhood Studies, but I would only do such a degree if I was deadest on working with children as a career. You can go into primary teaching with any degree but you can't go into any job with Childhood Studies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for the reply, I am trying to be realistic. I know I have to move away from home it's my parte that are reluctant to let me go to Wales 😂 thank you for the list it was really helpful to look at the other options

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending