The Student Room Group

Feeling lost and not knowing what to do next

First of all I'm new to this site, so I don't even know if I'm even posting into the right section. The title pretty much gives away what I'm about to write about but here goes..

Basically I've been doing BSc Music Technology for just 3 and a half weeks now and I'm not loving it. A number of factors have lead to this point, most notably never being sure whether I wanted to go to University in the first place, my course title and its open day being very misleading as it is all science and we get two hours per week on recording music in the studio, and a relationship break-up a fortnight in when I am living away from home and my now-ex.

I did music performance at college alongside business studies but the business was always just something to boost my grades and something I have no interest in. Following this I knew that I wanted to do something music based as I am passionate for singing and electronic music. I looked through a number of courses on the net and didn't feel any wiser except that I knew music technology includes elements of sound recording, so I looked for appropriate courses, not a million miles away from home and applied through UCAS. I got easily achievable conditional offers from all three unis I applied for and just had to wait for the letter to come through in the summer to confirm my grades from college. I thought and thought about whether I wanted to go to university since first applying,right through til accepting my best offer from BCU in August and still wasn't pulled one way or the other. But I couldn't see any better alternative, other than getting a dead end job and having no social life.

Fast forward a month and I was moved into my halls, still unsure whether I was going to regret the entire thing. My flatmates are nice people, but not particularly outgoing, and don't really care nor have the money for going out a lot, and neither do they care about having not made many friends as they seem to just sit around in their rooms on iplayer or the like. I didn't particularly find freshers great,as I didn't know the people I was with very well and the student nights weren't exciting. However, for the first fortnight I was fine skyping my girlfriend every night and seeing her at weekends until she ended it for reasons I won't go into. This obviously left me feeling awful, homesick and has given me too much time on my hands with nothing to do other than to sit in my room alone with my thoughts.

My course is all science, bar one 2 hour slot on a friday for sound recording (which is what I find interesting) and I can't see myself doing well with no motivation to do all this science, and I don't want to get into debt for nothing. I can't see myself developing a social life down there as the people on my course also seem to do very little outside of uni hours, or meeting girls to move on (not just yet but in the future) as there are just two girls on my course.

The way I see it is I can either continue and potentially end up with my depression worsening due to doing nothing and being bored on a course I'm not interested in (although I'm very capable of doing which is besides the point), or I can quit and try and get a full time job, with a potentially crap rota meaning I don't get to see my existing friends in my home city that much, and have very little chance again of meeting girls as I'd be working in a male dominated environment. However, I may be able to use this time to think properly about what my options could be, and a direction to head in the future. I don't know what to do, and don't know of any other options.

Sorry about the essay
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bro are you me? Literally such a similar situation to myself.

My music and sound tech course is soooooo theory based and there is hardly any actual practical stuff that would help you in the industry etc.

The whole place is pretty much doing my nut in too, so I reckon ill be dropping out in a few weeks, getting a full time job and then really working out what I want to do.

What uni you at if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 2
Original post by WILLMUSIC88
Bro are you me? Literally such a similar situation to myself.

My music and sound tech course is soooooo theory based and there is hardly any actual practical stuff that would help you in the industry etc.

The whole place is pretty much doing my nut in too, so I reckon ill be dropping out in a few weeks, getting a full time job and then really working out what I want to do.

What uni you at if you don't mind me asking?

I'm doing BSc Music Technology at Birmingham City University. I understand that it's one of the best music tech courses in the country, especially for placements and getting a graduate level job at the end of the course, but it's just not what I wanted at all haha, whereas the open day suggested it was exactly what I was looking for. I want to record sound, learn mixing and mastering, maybe have the chance to perform at some point but no. After talking to my course director he says it just gets more and more science orientated, more about music equipment and less about actual music. And the best of it is I have two days to decide if I'm staying or going hahaha fml:unimpressed:
ah that was one of my choices mate. Yeah man mine isn't what I expected either, like I would say I have hardly learnt jack ****. All it seems to be is a hell of a lot of history/theory/science and the actual learning of software and equipment takes a complete back seat. I did Music Tech at A level for two years and I would go as far to say it was better at college than it is at Uni. I learnt far more relevant stuff there than I have done here.

I think the open day did exactly the same for me at my uni. They made it seem as if it was this a really varied/broad hands on course but its really the complete opposite at the moment. Im in my 6th week and each day is just me counting down the hours. I think I'm going to try and go to the ACM (academy of contemporary music - check it out) next year as I've known people who went there before and they say its very hands on and gets you good industry experience.

Damn mate, sounds bad. I did wonder If I honestly wanted to go to uni to. I think I only really went as I didn't explore other options and that most of my mates were going.

How come you've only got two days to make a decision?
Reply 4
I think I'm a bit screwed if I don't carry on as education is concerned as I wanted to do tech at college but they stopped it the year I started and have started it again now, the year that I've left, just my luck! I think I just went because most of my mates are at uni and I was thinking if I didn't go myself then I'd be left in my home city with no friends, plus it'd give me the opportunity to finally focus on exactly what I want to do (if only it were that simple HA!).

I don't know if you've asked student finance about the process of quitting but you get 3 years for your course, plus a guest year (this year). If I quit this year, that's my guest year gone, and if I needed an additional year on top of the 3 if I ever went and did another course for resitting I'd have to fund it myself. If you quit before the end of the year you have to pay Student Finance England back everything they've leant you so far instantly out of your own pocket! So because I haven't yet spent any of my maintenance grant that's fine, and uni is giving me two days before they take their first instalment of tuition fees otherwise after that, if I quit at a later date, I'd also have to pay back the first amount of tuition fees (£2000). Even if I quit now before they take the tuition fees, I may still have to give student finance 1200 out of my own savings because of my first term's accommodation costs, and then because I'm contracted in til July, unless I can find someone to take over my tenancy, I will have to pay the full cost for that out of my own pocket over the course of the year (£4998). I've learnt it's all a money making scheme and definitely not student friendly, most people on my course think that it's a case of telling uni you're quitting and you don't have to pay a dime til your wage is over the set amount, but they're wrong
Its a **** situation for us both man. Yeah the whole money bit is a problem, but personally Im not sticking about just because financial reasons might prevent me from leaving. I would have to pay back maintenance, rent etc same as you pretty much immediately (however the tuition part is when you are earning over a certain salary every year) but I would be happier elsewhere than here.
Reply 6
Today I got a transfer to Keele Uni as one of my mates is already doing the course and says it's great, plus it's the number 1 uni in the country for student satisfaction because there's always something going on.Hope I don't miss out on the student lifestyle when I'm now living at home but i've gone from a BSc to a BA where I get to choose most of my modules so I couldn't be happier right now. Good luck with what ever you decide to do about your own situation man!
Reply 7
Original post by hutch3572
Today I got a transfer to Keele Uni as one of my mates is already doing the course and says it's great, plus it's the number 1 uni in the country for student satisfaction because there's always something going on.Hope I don't miss out on the student lifestyle when I'm now living at home but i've gone from a BSc to a BA where I get to choose most of my modules so I couldn't be happier right now. Good luck with what ever you decide to do about your own situation man!

I was under the impression that Courtauld Institute of Art is the highest satisfaction Uni. with 100% in 2014 (National student survey- http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/national-student-survey-2014-results-show-record-levels-of-satisfaction/2015108.article) wherever the hell that is.

Glad to see you resolved your situation
Reply 8
Ah I don't know then, Keele had the highest satisfaction rate before I think.. and thanks!
First of all I'm new to this site, so I don't even know if I'm even posting into the right section. The title pretty much gives away what I'm about to write about but here goes..

Basically I've been doing BSc Music Technology for just 3 and a half weeks now and I'm not loving it. A number of factors have lead to this point, most notably never being sure whether I wanted to go to University in the first place, my course title and its open day being very misleading as it is all science and we get two hours per week on recording music in the studio, and a relationship break-up a fortnight in when I am living away from home and my now-ex.

I did music performance at college alongside business studies but the business was always just something to boost my grades and something I have no interest in. Following this I knew that I wanted to do something music based as I am passionate for singing and electronic music. I looked through a number of courses on the net and didn't feel any wiser except that I knew music technology includes elements of sound recording, so I looked for appropriate courses, not a million miles away from home and applied through UCAS. I got easily achievable conditional offers from all three unis I applied for and just had to wait for the letter to come through in the summer to confirm my grades from college. I thought and thought about whether I wanted to go to university since first applying,right through til accepting my best offer from BCU in August and still wasn't pulled one way or the other. But I couldn't see any better alternative, other than getting a dead end job and having no social life.

Fast forward a month and I was moved into my halls, still unsure whether I was going to regret the entire thing. My flatmates are nice people, but not particularly outgoing, and don't really care nor have the money for going out a lot, and neither do they care about having not made many friends as they seem to just sit around in their rooms on iplayer or the like. I didn't particularly find freshers great,as I didn't know the people I was with very well and the student nights weren't exciting. However, for the first fortnight I was fine skyping my girlfriend every night and seeing her at weekends until she ended it for reasons I won't go into. This obviously left me feeling awful, homesick and has given me too much time on my hands with nothing to do other than to sit in my room alone with my thoughts.

My course is all science, bar one 2 hour slot on a friday for sound recording (which is what I find interesting) and I can't see myself doing well with no motivation to do all this science, and I don't want to get into debt for nothing. I can't see myself developing a social life down there as the people on my course also seem to do very little outside of uni hours, or meeting girls to move on (not just yet but in the future) as there are just two girls on my course.

The way I see it is I can either continue and potentially end up with my depression worsening due to doing nothing and being bored on a course I'm not interested in (although I'm very capable of doing which is besides the point), or I can quit and try and get a full time job, with a potentially crap rota meaning I don't get to see my existing friends in my home city that much, and have very little chance again of meeting girls as I'd be working in a male dominated environment. However, I may be able to use this time to think properly about what my options could be, and a direction to head in the future. I don't know what to do, and don't know of any other options.

Sorry about the essay

Hi there! Can't really comment on your course/uni as I know nothing of them, but with regards to girls, are you sure you want a rebound? They can get pretty messy, and using them to up your self-esteem/lift you out of depression may only bring you crashing back down if things go awry.

Try and drum up some enthusiasm with your flatmates to have a weekly/fortnightly get-together/night out and get to know each other better. They might just need some encouragement to step out of their comfort zone.

Also, concentrate on yourself more! It sounds clicheed but throw yourself into a new hobby and you'll be more likely to be more comfortable being by yourself. Eventually, you could meet girls outside of uni - coursemates aren't the be-all and end-all of meeting people!

Hope you cheer up soon :smile:

Sorry about the essay

: you've started the degree now and are committed to it, think very, very hard before giving up on it. it will most likely get better and more relevant in the 2nd and 3rd years, I would advise you gird your loins and really put your mind to making the most of the situation and try to do well. Don't worry about the "debt", its really not that big a deal as you only pay it back at a tiny rate when you're earning.

: find some other flats that are more outgoing, and ask them if you can tag along because your flatmates are quite quiet (no need to slag them off or anything). this is not weird, people will not mind. failing this, join a couple of clubs or societies (its not too late) and find one you enjoy and people you get on with. Attend all practices and socials, this will also get you out of your room and keep you busy.

:I'm sorry you broke up with your girlfriend but its better to be single at uni anyway. Once you get a decent social life going you will find you meet plenty of chicks and soon you will have more ass than you know what to do with.

hope that helps... have confidence that if you put the effort in, things will work out great.
Reply 11
I get what youre saying. My post comes across as if all I'm looking for at university is a girlfriend whereas it really isn't haha. I was unhappy on my course and have now managed to transfer to a uni closer to home so I already know a lot of people out and about in my home town and already know a few people who go to this uni including a close mate who's doing the same course as me. As well as being able to live at home but still spend a good amount of social time on campus and already having friends close by, I now have more time to get a job, and re-discover my love of fishing (i know how lame it sounds but its relaxing for someone with my mental state) which should all equate(in theory) to very little time for boredom.

As girls go, i get why you mentioned rebounds but it's not like that at all.She was my best friend for months and it happened kind of not really planned, it didn't last long enough to have any serious impact, we're back to being friends but nowhere near as close as before.I still like her, but it's not gonna happen again and the only thing that would take my mind off her would be someone else or at least actually coming into contact with girls which i didnt get to do at the uni I've just left cus very little social life there as mentioned. Weird to explain but I'm not the kinda guy to do rebounds, I'm too relaxed about it and my standards don't allow me to just rebound, i always end up waiting, it's just always nice to meet girls even if i am only recently single cus no-one wants to feel like they have no new opportunities ahead for the future aha
Reply 12
Cheers for the response!

:i completely get you that it's something i need to be committed to but i find it very hard to get motivated with something i have little interest in.I had a chat with the course director and he said if I'm not enjoying the scientific aspect of the course now then it will only get worse and suggested i quit while I'm ahead to take a year and really think about what exactly i want to do, however I'm at that age where i don't know what exact direction I'm meant to be heading in despite having thought hard about it during my 3 years at college. Plus i know if i did quit and got a job for a year my social life would die a death so as in the reply above, ive found a more suited course at a uni closer to home, with some people i already know, of which im willing to try at.The debt side doesnt bother me, hence considering quitting at one point even though it wouldve meant me paying student finance 2 grand back straight away as i know my health is worth more than any money in the long run.

:i tried asking my flatmates if they wanted to do things, no matter how minimal but they didnt seem fussed.After freshers the most we managed was two trips to spoons but even then we weren't out for an awfully long time.I dont blame them, they werent at uni to serve me. I also asked around on my course but not a lot of people seemed to do anything either. I joined the rock music society and knew others who had but i dont think anyone bothered going and i wouldve felt a bit of a d*** on my own.Think with time it wouldve got better but i wasnt stable enough to stay miserable for much longer.

:all my mates say all i need is them, you don't need girls whilst youre young but i suppose im just a bit soppy if im honest haha.i understand what youre saying and what my friends say, but a girlfriends all im bothered about (cringing at myself a little) then I'm happy, its nice to have someone to talk to all the time and be there for you, someone a little different than your mates all the time.Meh if it happens, it happens blah blah.I can actually meet girls now people will go pubbing or clubbing with me at my new uni and now im in contact with my mates unlike my situation before. Future looks brighter
Reply 13
Cheers for the response!

:i completely get you that it's something i need to be committed to but i find it very hard to get motivated with something i have little interest in.I had a chat with the course director and he said if I'm not enjoying the scientific aspect of the course now then it will only get worse and suggested i quit while I'm ahead to take a year and really think about what exactly i want to do, however I'm at that age where i don't know what exact direction I'm meant to be heading in despite having thought hard about it during my 3 years at college. Plus i know if i did quit and got a job for a year my social life would die a death so as in the reply above, ive found a more suited course at a uni closer to home, with some people i already know, of which im willing to try at.The debt side doesnt bother me, hence considering quitting at one point even though it wouldve meant me paying student finance 2 grand back straight away as i know my health is worth more than any money in the long run.

:i tried asking my flatmates if they wanted to do things, no matter how minimal but they didnt seem fussed.After freshers the most we managed was two trips to spoons but even then we weren't out for an awfully long time.I dont blame them, they werent at uni to serve me. I also asked around on my course but not a lot of people seemed to do anything either. I joined the rock music society and knew others who had but i dont think anyone bothered going and i wouldve felt a bit of a d*** on my own.Think with time it wouldve got better but i wasnt stable enough to stay miserable for much longer.

:all my mates say all i need is them, you don't need girls whilst youre young but i suppose im just a bit soppy if im honest haha.i understand what youre saying and what my friends say, but a girlfriends all im bothered about (cringing at myself a little) then I'm happy, its nice to have someone to talk to all the time and be there for you, someone a little different than your mates all the time.Meh if it happens, it happens blah blah.I can actually meet girls now people will go pubbing or clubbing with me at my new uni and now im in contact with my mates unlike my situation before. Future looks brighter

Congrats on your transfer! Birmingham sounded **** :/
Basically I've been doing BSc Music Technology... my course title and its open day being very misleading as it is all science and we get two hours per week on recording music in the studio

Bachelor of Science in Music Technology - the course title doesn't seem to be misleading

Sorry about the essay

if you feel like you are lost don't worry.. Don't be troubled.. Let me share this biblical verse i found in this page https://www.facebook.com/1461562490782602/photos/a.1461566544115530.1073741830.1461562490782602/1485658578372993/?type=1&theater :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Politricks
Bachelor of Science in Music Technology - the course title doesn't seem to be misleading

I obviously knew there'd be some science, but didn't realise quite how much with it being music tech. This combined with how much emphasis they put on the music and recording aspects on the open day, and being someone who's never been to university before just all added up to false hope
Hi Hutch3572,

My name is Kimmy and I am Digital Ambassador for Keele University but also a finalist student studying Media, Communications, Culture (MCC) & Music. I have come across your post and am really sorry to hear you are not enjoying your course, thus making your time at university a struggle. I thought I would just tell you a bit about my experience prior to university with a couple suggestions which might help you.

When I finished my A levels I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. I took a year out, did some work experience which really helped me figure what I wanted to do and also what I didn't want to do! I then applied for a variety of course through UCAS ranging from English, New Media down to MCC & Music. Keele actually offers a dual honours option which allows students to study two subjects during their degree. A Dual Honours makes courses so varied and individual, but also each term you are allowed to take a certain amount of Free Standing Electives which means you can take modules form any other discipline. I picked Keele mainly because of the Dual Honours option :-)

From what you said you enjoyed your course for the practical side of it however you dislike the science - maybe you should consider looking at a dual honours course? For instance Music and Music Technology. That way you would get the practical side of music tech whilst taking performance modules where you could work on your singing. Also course vary depending on universities so there might be some universities out there who do more of a practical based Music Technology course. For example here is what the Music Tech course at Keele looks like, and I am pretty sure that there is minimal science in it. (http://www.keele.ac.uk/music/courses/musictechnology/#tabs-1)

Have you joined any societies? Societies are the best way to meet people and get a great social life! It is important to find the right balance between work and play, so make sure to get involved with student societies in your spare time :-)

Don't let things bottle you up - speak to the Student Support at your university or to your Personal Tutor, they are there to help and guide you through your degree. Also if you are unsure what to do go and see your Jobs and Careers advisers, they might be able to give you some valuable information and suggestions.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions whatsoever don't hesitate to ask!
Have a good evening,

Kimmy
Reply 18
Original post by Keele University
Hi Hutch3572,

My name is Kimmy and I am Digital Ambassador for Keele University but also a finalist student studying Media, Communications, Culture (MCC) & Music. I have come across your post and am really sorry to hear you are not enjoying your course, thus making your time at university a struggle. I thought I would just tell you a bit about my experience prior to university with a couple suggestions which might help you.

When I finished my A levels I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. I took a year out, did some work experience which really helped me figure what I wanted to do and also what I didn't want to do! I then applied for a variety of course through UCAS ranging from English, New Media down to MCC & Music. Keele actually offers a dual honours option which allows students to study two subjects during their degree. A Dual Honours makes courses so varied and individual, but also each term you are allowed to take a certain amount of Free Standing Electives which means you can take modules form any other discipline. I picked Keele mainly because of the Dual Honours option :-)

From what you said you enjoyed your course for the practical side of it however you dislike the science - maybe you should consider looking at a dual honours course? For instance Music and Music Technology. That way you would get the practical side of music tech whilst taking performance modules where you could work on your singing. Also course vary depending on universities so there might be some universities out there who do more of a practical based Music Technology course. For example here is what the Music Tech course at Keele looks like, and I am pretty sure that there is minimal science in it. (http://www.keele.ac.uk/music/courses/musictechnology/#tabs-1)

Have you joined any societies? Societies are the best way to meet people and get a great social life! It is important to find the right balance between work and play, so make sure to get involved with student societies in your spare time :-)

Don't let things bottle you up - speak to the Student Support at your university or to your Personal Tutor, they are there to help and guide you through your degree. Also if you are unsure what to do go and see your Jobs and Careers advisers, they might be able to give you some valuable information and suggestions.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions whatsoever don't hesitate to ask!
Have a good evening,

Kimmy

Hi Kimmy, thanks for the response. I enrol at Keele tomorrow and start on tuesday on the single honours Music Tech course after talking to Miroslav at the music department because it sounds more like what i have been looking for and i already know a few people at the university including a lad on the same course. I'm going to see how this year goes and stick it out now I've transferred to Keele and see if I want to carry it on at the end. I could do with some explanation as to what societies are on offer to join at Keele as I am interested in music obviously, and other things so would love to meet new people. I'm worried I'll miss out on the uni experience living at home? But didn't see the point in paying for accommodation when i can get the bus there and back, and if i do carry on the course i am already looking to share a house or flat with my mate and people off my course next year.

Alex
Hi Kimmy, thanks for the response. I enrol at Keele tomorrow and start on tuesday on the single honours Music Tech course after talking to Miroslav at the music department because it sounds more like what i have been looking for and i already know a few people at the university including a lad on the same course. I'm going to see how this year goes and stick it out now I've transferred to Keele and see if I want to carry it on at the end. I could do with some explanation as to what societies are on offer to join at Keele as I am interested in music obviously, and other things so would love to meet new people. I'm worried I'll miss out on the uni experience living at home? But didn't see the point in paying for accommodation when i can get the bus there and back, and if i do carry on the course i am already looking to share a house or flat with my mate and people off my course next year.

Alex

Hi Alex,

That's fantastic news! Congratulations on the offer, I think the Music Tech course here is going to be right up your street. The teachers are fantastic, really inspiring - my personal tutor is one of the Music Tech lecturers, he is brilliant and has advised me/ guided me really well throughout my degree.

Basically Keele is going to give you a username and password - with these you will be able to log into your KLE account (this platform where you can view your course information / timetable / library / Keele Email etc) BUT you can also log onto your Keele Students Union account! Every student at Keele is automatically a member of the Students Union -> a three floor building where on the first floor there is a restaurant/cafe/post office/ ASK (Advice & Support at Keele). On the second floor there are 6 bars: The Squirrel, Blueprint, Shots Bar, a bar in the ballroom and two bars in K2 - there are events on every night! Finally on the third floor is the Print Shop (important if you want to have essays or projects binded), Keele SU Marketing department, Entertainements Department, Activities & Volunteering Department, Keele SU Finance Department and the Sabbatical Officers' office.
Anyway, back to societies. When you log into the Keele SU website > click on Activities > Clubs and Societies - this is where you will be able to view more than 100 different societies at Keele! In order to sign up to any of them you need to add the society to your "basket" and pay their membership. If you want to go for a taster you can always find them on facebook or contact their president (all the information should be on the society's page). There are plenty of Music societies! They are all under the Music section in the Clubs and Societies page. I would sign up for as many as you want - signing up doesn't mean full time commitment, you can always start with plenty and cut down as the academic year goes.

A few music related events you might want to know about - Sunday nights are Kareoke / Live Lounge (if you perform you usually get free entry to an event & could get a chance to get noticed for you music or performance... its always a good thing to do!). Monday lunch Coffee House Sessions are always really good as it's a weekly free gig! Thursday nights in the KPA is accoustics night & in Lindsay Open Mic Night. Wednesday evenings are Concert Nights with the Arts Keele.

Honestly sooo many people commute from home, they do not miss out on the university life. Whether you are on campus or off campus you can still get involved in the same activities. I beleive there is a facebook group for off campus Keele Students. You will see you will meet people in the same situation as you so don't worry - you are not the only one who does it! You could contact the Off-Campus Rep - Jessica Bushell - i'm sure she would be more than happy to speak to you.

Hope the enrollement goes well & if you have any other questions ask away.

Kimmy

PS Make sure to join the Keele Freshers Facebook Group

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending