The Student Room Group

Funding?

Hey, I am new to the university scene. and I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any grants out there which I can claim? for example text book grants, or stationary grants. Also I was told about a laptop grant by a friend who has claimed it, how do I go about claiming for this etc.. and does anyone know of any information sites which gives a list of available grants. many thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by xxlea92xx
Hey, I am new to the university scene. and I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any grants out there which I can claim? for example text book grants, or stationary grants. Also I was told about a laptop grant by a friend who has claimed it, how do I go about claiming for this etc.. and does anyone know of any information sites which gives a list of available grants. many thanks in advance.

I doubt there will be any specific grants for 'textbooks' or 'stationery'. You need to look on the university website (the ones you want to go to, I guess you're going next year). They'll have sections on grants and scholarships but normally it all depends on your household income and grades.
You can get a maintenance loan and grant which is to be used to get you through uni (as well as money from parents/savings/job)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by xxlea92xx

If you've been living in the UK for three years before the start of your course, you will qualify for Student Finance. Subject to eligibility (e.g. household income) you can get a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant. The Maintenance payments can be used for anything but most students find that they barely cover accommodation and living costs.

If you've lived outside the UK but in the EU for three years before the start of the course, you will only get a Tuition Fee Loan. This is paid direct to the uni, so won't give you any money directly.

Apart from that, you need to check individual uni websites as they organise their own scholarship and bursary schemes. Most will have bursaries for students from low income households. Some will have targeted scholarships for things like academic or sporting excellence, to attract good applicants. You can usually spend that money on anything you want to.

There are no schemes specifically aimed at paying for books and stationery that I've heard of. The only scheme which might have provided funding for a laptop, is Disabled Student Allowance. This aspect of the funding has now been drastically cut back. Ask your friend where they found their funding.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending