The Student Room Group

Pre Medical A104 Course Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Demma1
Hi!
I've applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff and Dundee but I haven't heard anything from any of them yet! ������

I don't know of any other people applying to pre med courses in Northern Ireland so this thread is all I am going on!

I did an A level last year and got an A* and I also did 3 AS levels and got 3 A's.

I have a poor UKCAT= 627.5 and band 1 (although I know SJ is not being considered this year).
Although compared to other people in my school, this is one of the highest scores apparently.

Has anyone heard from unis other than Manchester?

Also, does anyone know how the universities actually decide who to interview? It's just because I know people who are academically exceptional and who do a lot of volunteering and extracurricular activities who didn't get asked to interviews.

I apologise for the long post ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! The UKCAT scores went down by a lot this year and your score is still much better than mine (I only got 615 :cry: ) so there is still hope! I'm not too sure on how the unis decide, I think Dundee is 60% academics and 40% UKCAT (although they don't specify that it's the same for A104) but all unis have their own system... I think it's just a matter of waiting now :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by wanda123
Hi! The UKCAT scores went down by a lot this year and your score is still much better than mine (I only got 615 :cry: ) so there is still hope! I'm not too sure on how the unis decide, I think Dundee is 60% academics and 40% UKCAT (although they don't specify that it's the same for A104) but all unis have their own system... I think it's just a matter of waiting now :frown:

Ah thank you so much! Hopefully we both hear from them soon 😊 nice to know I'm not alone! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
My first choice is Manchester as well. And God, the waiting part is really excruciating. I hope I get an interview...
Hi all,
Good luck with your applications!

I'm on the manchester pre-med course at the moment so if any of you have any questions i'd be happy to answer (might take a while but I will answer!)
Original post by Baronred
Hi all,
Good luck with your applications!

I'm on the manchester pre-med course at the moment so if any of you have any questions i'd be happy to answer (might take a while but I will answer!)

hey can you tell me a bit about what topics/modules you cover this year
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by insert-username
hey can you tell me a bit about what topics/modules you covered this year? also what was the interview like?

We're studying Biology and Chemistry at a local college,
Chemistry includes general physical chemistry so things like: atoms, the mole, kinetics, thermodynamics, transition metals, redox, acids and bases and then organic chemistry
In biology we do biological molecules, enzymes etc basically following the AQA syllabus but not including things on plant biology and then a lot on human biology so the systems of the body etc, in more detail than would be on a general A level course. The teaching is great and they really go through everything in detail to cater for those who have previous experience in science and those who have none whatsoever.

We also do a lot in EBL in terms of medical knowledge such as learning about diseases and systems of the body and their relation to specific cases we are given. Which I know from previous foundation years is very helpful in terms of progression onto year 1.

I cant give you much info on the interviews aside from the fact that it is an MMI style interview.
Reply 26
Hi there,

I've applied to manchester too and I was wondering did you have to any scientific
/biological knowledge for the interview and if so, how specific?
thanks!
Original post by Baronred
We're studying Biology and Chemistry at a local college,
Chemistry includes general physical chemistry so things like: atoms, the mole, kinetics, thermodynamics, transition metals, redox, acids and bases and then organic chemistry
In biology we do biological molecules, enzymes etc basically following the AQA syllabus but not including things on plant biology and then a lot on human biology so the systems of the body etc, in more detail than would be on a general A level course. The teaching is great and they really go through everything in detail to cater for those who have previous experience in science and those who have none whatsoever.

We also do a lot in EBL in terms of medical knowledge such as learning about diseases and systems of the body and their relation to specific cases we are given. Which I know from previous foundation years is very helpful in terms of progression onto year 1.

I cant give you much info on the interviews aside from the fact that it is an MMI style interview.

thanks so much for taking the time to give me so much info!
sounds very encouraging, cant wait to start there
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Got a rejection from Manchester...I hope I hear positive news from Keele or Cardiff. Has anyone applied there? Any news?
Reply 29
I haven't heard anything from anyone yet! I have a feeling my ukcat is going to be my failing point. Do you mind me asking what you got? Sorry this is really rude but I'm just wondering if I'm above or below the cutoff!
Reply 30
Sure. My score is 2 220...I guess I am below the cut off. What is yours, and where did you apply?
Reply 31
Thanks. I've 2510 but it's probably below as well by the sounds of things.

I've applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff and Dundee & I haven't heard a word! I heard someone say that interviews for a few different unis are going out this week. So hopefully that's true!

Did you get an email about it or just check UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I got an email, saying that I have a UCAS notification. Then I went in, and saw the message. The good thing so far is that I got accepeted for Biomedicine in EUA and I could hopefully transfer after the first year. Don't worry...I am sure everything is going to be fine with you! (:
Reply 33
Original post by kiksan
I got an email, saying that I have a UCAS notification. Then I went in, and saw the message. The good thing so far is that I got accepeted for Biomedicine in EUA and I could hopefully transfer after the first year. Don't worry...I am sure everything is going to be fine with you! (:

Congrats!! Yea I got an email from Dundee today and I was all excited then I opened it and it was something about fees. I don't know if it means anything or whether it was a generalised email. They said they looked at my location so I'm not eligible for the Scottish fees- well obviously because I'm not from Scotland. Did anyone else get this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I did the exact same! I got really excited and nervous then it was just saying my fees will be £9000 at Dundee if I get an offer which was so disappointing haha!
Reply 35
just got a random email from Keele saying I got a rejection from nursing and Midwifery! Freaked me out a bit
Did you apply for nursing and midwifery as your 5th option?
Reply 37
No apparently loads of people who applied for physiotherapy, neuroscience, medicine at keele have got this random error message from the school of nursing
Oh wow that's an awful mistake! I applied to Keele but haven't had one.
Reply 39
Yeah it was a bit confusing ahah :smile: it's alright the medical school has said they haven't sent anything out yet so it's just an error message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending