The Student Room Group

Pre Medical A104 Course Applicants 2015

Hey, I couldn't find a thread for any pre-med applicants, if there are any out there. I would love to hear where you've applied and your offers/rejections (when the time comes :O)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wanda123
Hey, I couldn't find a thread for any pre-med applicants, if there are any out there. I would love to hear where you've applied and your offers/rejections (when the time comes :O)

Hey, just added the year in your title to increase visibility! :h:

alexandraelse
x

:h:
Hi!
I've been searching for a thread too :smile: I've applied for A104 at Manchester, Keele, Dundee and Cardiff and obviously not heard anything back yet.
Where have you applied and with what grades/UKCAT score? :smile:
Reply 3
Hi! I've only applied to Dundee, as I'm an EU student and can't really afford the tuition fees from English and Welsh unis. It was a very spontaneous decision to apply so I didn't have much time to practice for the UKCAT and unfortunately my score reflects that... I only got an average of 615. I'm definitely not going to get in with that but hopefully I will do better next year :smile: My grades are ok-ish: predicted 41 IB and roughly 1.5 German Abitur (my school makes us do both) What about you?

Original post by emilydainton
Hi!
I've been searching for a thread too :smile: I've applied for A104 at Manchester, Keele, Dundee and Cardiff and obviously not heard anything back yet.
Where have you applied and with what grades/UKCAT score? :smile:
I'm not surprised haha, I wouldn't be able to afford the non-British fees!
I got 2550 on UKCAT which is 637 avg so isn't amazing - I was a bit disappointed with mine too. I'm not too familiar with your exam type but if you meet the criteria then you'll have a chance to be considered anyway so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
I'm from England and I got 3As and 1B at AS Level (first year of A Levels) and I've been predicted 3A*s and 1A at A2 Level (second year of A Levels).
I'll honesty be happy to go anywhere, if I get one offer I'll be over the moon haha! What made you decide to study medicine? For me it was just that I decided
*too late into the year so didn't have the appropriate subjects but had a sudden epiphany when I got admitted to Accident and Emergency and realised that was what I really wanted to do :smile:
(Sorry, accidentally clicked submit half way through before finishing the post)
Reply 6
*too late into the year so didn't have the appropriate subjects but had a sudden epiphany when I got admitted to Accident and Emergency and realised that was what I really wanted to do :smile:(Sorry, accidentally clicked submit half way through before finishing the post)
Yeah well Dundee is quite heavy on the UKCAT, so my hopes aren't high. I've wanted to do medicine for a while, but I couldn't do chemistry at my school (our subjects were chosen for us) so pre-med is the only way I can still study in the UK. I don't need chemistry to study in Germany though, so I will apply there too. You're stats are good! I'm sure you'll get an interview at least!
Yeah, well I didn't do amazing on the UKCAT either so we'll see haha. It sucks that you didn't get to choose your own subjects! Do you live in Germany?
We'll just both have to keep our fingers crossed :wink:
Reply 8
Yeah, well I didn't do amazing on the UKCAT either so we'll see haha. It sucks that you didn't get to choose your own subjects! Do you live in Germany?
We'll just both have to keep our fingers crossed :wink:

Yeah I do... I know, it's so annoying. If I had wanted to do chemistry I wouldn't have been able to do the International Baccalaureate, which I really wanted to do. But I was quite lucky in a way because I get to do the IB for free and I'm hoping doing to secondary school qualifications will increase my chances of getting accepted. Do you know if the UKCAT is as important for the A104 course as for the A100 for Dundee? It didn't say anything on the website so probably. It's not so heavy in Cardiff though, is it? So you've got good chances there!
Hello...I've applied to Manchester, Dundee and Lancaster. I have been invited for an interview at Manchester but other than that I am waiting to hear from others :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by NerdyGlasses
Hello...I've applied to Manchester, Dundee and Lancaster. I have been invited for an interview at Manchester but other than that I am waiting to hear from others :smile:

That's so cool that you got an interview! What's your first choice? And why are you applying for pre-med and not A100? :smile:
I got an interview from Manchester too! What date is yours? :smile:
It's because I don't have the correct combination of subject as I'm taking psychology, maths and human biology :smile:
I got an interview from Manchester too! What date is yours? :smile:

Cool! It's at 14 January.. What about you??
Cool! It's at 14 January.. What about you??

Your subjects are quite similar to mine and mine is December 17th :smile:
Reply 15
Hi!
I've applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff and Dundee but I haven't heard anything from any of them yet! 😩

I don't know of any other people applying to pre med courses in Northern Ireland so this thread is all I am going on!

I did an A level last year and got an A* and I also did 3 AS levels and got 3 A's.

I have a poor UKCAT= 627.5 and band 1 (although I know SJ is not being considered this year).
Although compared to other people in my school, this is one of the highest scores apparently.

Has anyone heard from unis other than Manchester?

Also, does anyone know how the universities actually decide who to interview? It's just because I know people who are academically exceptional and who do a lot of volunteering and extracurricular activities who didn't get asked to interviews.

I apologise for the long post 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by insert-username
when did you get your invite from manchester??

I recieved it today :smile:
Your subjects are quite similar to mine and mine is December 17th :smile:

What subjects do you take? Ahh good luck!
I recieved it today :smile:

Wow congrats!!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending