The Student Room Group

Transfer to a 'lesser' university or drop out and reapply

So I decided that my course wasn't for me and tried to transfer internally in my uni. I apparently missed the deadline to swap internally by 2 days, so I've been ringing a load of unis asking to transfer to them, most of which have said no.

One uni have said yes provided I fill in an application form but, not being big headed or anything, its a much lesser uni than what I'm at now. Not as if I have much of a choice if I don't wanna take a year out but to work so hard at A level to get where I am now just to end up at a uni I never considered doesn't seem right.

Should I transfer or drop out/reapply? What are peoples opinions on this?
Drop out and reapply to somewhere you really wanna go!
Drop out and reapply. In the grand scheme of your life a year will not make a difference (in fact, a lot of people benefit hugely if they use a gap year well, or even from being just that bit older).
Try distance learning
If this lesser uni is MMU then no. Just drop out and reapply.
I like how when I clicked onto this thread I saw an advert for Birmingham City University...
If you drop out then you'll be in less debt than you would carrying on with a course that you're not into. :smile:
I'm thinking about this too.

Good luck with whatever you choose :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Black Cat
Try distance learning

No, don't.
Hey mate, If I was you I would leave and then reapply somewhere you really want to go after taking a year out.

I also don't like my course and will be doing just that. Leaving and then working for a year while working out what I really want to do.

Hope this helps a bit.
I don't understand what you mean by 'lesser'? You mean less of a prestigious uni or something? If so it sounds a bit snobby. Just because you have to tell your friends and family you're going to a 'lesser' uni, doesn't diminish the fact you'd be (hopefully) getting a degree which is a great achievement. The degree should matter more to you rather than whether or not the uni is 'lesser'. I went through clearing after previously looking at all the popular unis but ended up at Sunderland uni. I never knew where it was or anything about it, but the uni was fantastic and teaching for Psychology, my course, was rated first in the country.

Coming from a graduate, the uni you went to won't matter that much (unless it's Oxbridge) but more so your work experience. A lot of people have degrees nowadays and the degree alone isn't enough. What about if you did a year out working or doing an apprenticeship? It would MASSIVELY increase your employability chances which is what doing a degree is for. Once you've got a degree, you're no longer eligible for funding for many apprenticeships so think wisely what you'd like to do for your career.

Sorry to be a bit glum but I wish I'd had the hindsight to do an apprenticeship first for a year then uni and I wouldn't have ended up being a waitress for 2 years! Good luck :smile:
never sell yourself short!

Never go somewhere that is BELOW YOU! only the best of the best!
Drop out and reapply

Posted from TSR Mobile
What uni you at now/want to drop out from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dropped out and am reapplying this year -chose to do this over transferring internally of to a different uni for the same course. Sent off my ucas a couple of weeks ago so I'm not sure how I'll get on but I certainly FEEL like I've made the right decision. Sometimes it helps to just spend a year in the real world too, will make you appreciate uni more, I know for a fact when I start my new course I'll go at it with much more energy than I did the first time round.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply 15
Bottom line is that the "lesser" uni is the only one which will have you. No reason to be big-headed there.

If you're confident you can get an offer for the uni/course you want, then you should drop out and re-apply. However, do bear in mind that there may be reasons why your preferred unis won't take you, other than just missing a transfer deadline. You need to be absolutely sure that you meet the entry requirements for your chosen course before you drop out. It might be worth contacting the ones that wouldn't take you and asking if they'd consider you if you applied from scratch.

Also, if you drop out of uni now, remember that you will have used up one year of your Student Finance entitlement even though you've only done a fraction of the year. You'll have enough SF to complete a new degree, but you'll have no wiggle room to retake a year if you need to.
Do what you feel best.
Original post by 14bowieh
Do what you feel best.

Pretty sure it’s been decided since this thread is 6 years old 😂

Quick Reply

Latest