The Student Room Group

Predicament - Foundation year + Bad predicted grades

Hi,

I was hoping to study physics at Manchester university, as I do Manchester access programme and have one of my grades reduced by 2

Original grades: A*AA
New Grade: A*AC Usually they reduce two subjects by 1 grade but I need those high grades in physics and maths.

BUT I did pretty crap in AS getting C; Maths, C; Physics, B; Chemisty and a D in history :frown:... bad i know.

I'm resitting both physics and 2 maths and my predicting grades are ABB, (I dropped History)

I just don't know what to do with these grades. I'm performing alot better this year and can see myself getting 3 A's.

Do I apply for lower ranking universities? I'd really like to go somewhere generally good-great.

I've also been suggested by Manchester university to apply for a foundation year. Which I'll happily do but don't understand to well. other universities say its for people who haven't done alevls.

Could someone point in the best direction.

Thanks
Original post by Walex12108
Hi,

I was hoping to study physics at Manchester university, as I do Manchester access programme and have one of my grades reduced by 2

Original grades: A*AA
New Grade: A*AC Usually they reduce two subjects by 1 grade but I need those high grades in physics and maths.

BUT I did pretty crap in AS getting C; Maths, C; Physics, B; Chemisty and a D in history :frown:... bad i know.

I'm resitting both physics and 2 maths and my predicting grades are ABB, (I dropped History)

I just don't know what to do with these grades. I'm performing alot better this year and can see myself getting 3 A's.

Do I apply for lower ranking universities? I'd really like to go somewhere generally good-great.

I've also been suggested by Manchester university to apply for a foundation year. Which I'll happily do but don't understand to well. other universities say its for people who haven't done alevls.

Could someone point in the best direction.

Thanks

I would apply for Manchester, you can have a risky choice. However I would apply for some lower requirement universities as well such as; de Montfort (280 ucas points), Portsmouth (260), queen Mary's London (320) (Russell group!), salford (260), Sheffield (Russell group, ABB), Swansea (320), hull (320), Kent (ABB), leeds (Russell group AAB) , Lincoln (300), Liverpool (Russell group AAB), loughbrough (AAB), Newcastle (AAB Russell group), Northumbria (320) and Exeter (ABB)
Choose Manchester as your risky choice, two or three universities such as leeds, Sheffield or Liverpool (which are actually just as good as Manchester!) and one low insurance choice such as Salford, which is actually a really good university.
If you don't think you'll get straight into Physics at Manchester, the foundation year is definitely worth considering.

I did it last year so if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Walex12108
Hi, Could someone point in the best direction.

Thanks

link up with handmadeturnip below. he's been there and done that.

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
If you don't think you'll get straight into Physics at Manchester, the foundation year is definitely worth considering.

I did it last year so if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. :smile:

its very kind of you to help. good on you!
Original post by Maura Kat

its very kind of you to help. good on you!

Oh, stop it. :colondollar:
If you've been advised by Manchester to apply for the foundation year, it's for a good reason - this is by far your best chance of getting into a decent uni.

Unlike other unis, Manchester will take foundation students who have done relevant A Levels but haven't got the grades.

The foundation year is basically an extra year at the beginning of your degree - a 'year 0' - where you're taught by the uni at the uni, you'll be able to live in halls, and have access to all the other things that students on any other degree programmes have access to.

You'll need to do well on the foundation year, but if you get the grades during that year you're guaranteed progression to physics. If you miss the grades you're guaranteed progression onto another, related degree subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks for all of the replies, I will be definitely applying for the foundation year, as well as physics at other universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending