The Student Room Group

I'm reapplying for university but need some answers to my questions

Hi, I'm currently a first year student at University of Bristol for many reasons I have to return to London. I can't transfer directly into second year as my course isn't similar to the courses of the unis I'm applying to.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Can I reuse my old personal statement?
2. Can I use the same reference, which was from a previous employer, because my personal tutors don't know me well enough yet?
3. Should I add qualifications from Bristol even though it isn't relevant for 1st year study?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by DanBGreifer
Hi, I'm currently a first year student at University of Bristol for many reasons I have to return to London. I can't transfer directly into second year as my course isn't similar to the courses of the unis I'm applying to.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Can I reuse my old personal statement?
2. Can I use the same reference, which was from a previous employer, because my personal tutors don't know me well enough yet?
3. Should I add qualifications from Bristol even though it isn't relevant for 1st year study?

Thanks in advance

1) when you apply to UCAS this year, the system will generate a new UCAS ID for you. but once you pay for your application, the system will realize that you've actually applied in the past and will email you, telling you that you should use your old UCAS ID but the password will the one you chose for the new UCAS ID.

you will be able to reuse your old PS. to retrieve your old PS, simply go to UCAS website, enter your email ID which you used to register for the old UCAS ID, click on 'forgot password' and UCAS will email you with a new password.

but i wouldn't recommend that you simply reuse your old PS. what you should do is to retrieve the old PS and make changes to it so that it reflects your current situation now be it academic or personal aspect of your life. now that you're a few years wiser, you'll realize that your old PS is probably not that good to be used in the present day.

2) well the reference from your employer is probably a few years old now. i don't think its a good idea. and don't forget. its gonna be a hassle cos you'll have to contact that employer again to tell him that you'll be nominating him as your referee. so he's gonna have to type out the whole reference again. why not get a lil close with your current tutors? interact with them more. you never know. they might just help you write a good one if they think you're a student worth his salt.

3) yes, do add qualifications from Bristol. it shows the admission tutors of your chosen unis that you've been studying recently and not out of circulation for a long time.

ensure that every aspect of your application is good and strong. you want to come off as the best possible candidate. i hope you've recovered from your problems from before. i wish you well in your future endeavours, academic or otherwise.
Reply 3
Original post by Maura Kat
1) when you apply to UCAS this year, the system will generate a new UCAS ID for you. but once you pay for your application, the system will realize that you've actually applied in the past and will email you, telling you that you should use your old UCAS ID but the password will the one you chose for the new UCAS ID.

you will be able to reuse your old PS. to retrieve your old PS, simply go to UCAS website, enter your email ID which you used to register for the old UCAS ID, click on 'forgot password' and UCAS will email you with a new password.

but i wouldn't recommend that you simply reuse your old PS. what you should do is to retrieve the old PS and make changes to it so that it reflects your current situation now be it academic or personal aspect of your life. now that you're a few years wiser, you'll realize that your old PS is probably not that good to be used in the present day.

2) well the reference from your employer is probably a few years old now. i don't think its a good idea. and don't forget. its gonna be a hassle cos you'll have to contact that employer again to tell him that you'll be nominating him as your referee. so he's gonna have to type out the whole reference again. why not get a lil close with your current tutors? interact with them more. you never know. they might just help you write a good one if they think you're a student worth his salt.

3) yes, do add qualifications from Bristol. it shows the admission tutors of your chosen unis that you've been studying recently and not out of circulation for a long time.

ensure that every aspect of your application is good and strong. you want to come off as the best possible candidate. i hope you've recovered from your problems from before. i wish you well in your future endeavours, academic or otherwise.

Thanks so much! You're seriously amazing for this reply. One more question though. On the education tab Bristol isn't listed as one of the unis, how would I put this in properly? Sorry, I'm a complete novice with these things
Reply 4
Thanks so much! You're seriously amazing for this reply. One more question though. On the education tab Bristol isn't listed as one of the unis, how would I put this in properly? Sorry, I'm a complete novice with these things

not a problem whatsoever. I was kinda bored so i thought i'll go on a 'help others' crusade.

which education tab are you referring to? could you describe it? cos I don't follow you.
Reply 5
not a problem whatsoever. I was kinda bored so i thought i'll go on a 'help others' crusade.

which education tab are you referring to? could you describe it? cos I don't follow you.

On the UCAS website when you click apply, education is one of the tabs that you fill in, with previous schools etc and all the qualifications you achieved at the school. Bristol isn't one of the places that you can choose from
Reply 6
On the UCAS website when you click apply, education is one of the tabs that you fill in, with previous schools etc and all the qualifications you achieved at the school. Bristol isn't one of the places that you can choose from

did you try looking at "U" as in University of Bristol?
Reply 7
did you try looking at "U" as in University of Bristol?

Yep :/ only UWE no Bristol. I guess that might be a q for the personal tutor
Reply 8
Yep :/ only UWE no Bristol. I guess that might be a q for the personal tutor

either that or call up UCAS tomorrow.

Quick Reply