The Student Room Group

Successful vs unsuccessful applicants

How thin a line do you think seperates those who get offers offers from Oxford from those who don't, either pre or post interview? Do tutors find it obvious which candidates should be offered places or is it a very difficult decision between many very similar students and is therefore an element of luck involved

(I have applied to ppe and this is one of the things I keep wondering about)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moon.fly
How thin a line do you think seperates those who get offers offers from Oxford from those who don't, either pre or post interview? Do tutors find it obvious which candidates should be offered places or is it a very difficult decision between many very similar students and is therefore an element of luck involved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard to say.

You might have some people who shine in the interview, have great test scores, and are clear picks. You might also have some people who are perhaps less suited to the Oxford system, or whose application is relatively weak for some reason (eg bad test scores). Some decisions are more straightforward.

However, I think closer to the boundary, it's a fairly difficult decision. It might be a very fine line in the end.

There's an article on Cambridge admissions which might be of interest to you: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

I would say don't think about it. You can't predict what your competition will be like, and in any case, there's nothing you can do to influence that. Your time and energy is better spent preparing for the TSA and interview. Cross the bridge when it comes to it.
Reply 2
It can be fairly thin: there will always be a couple of geniuses who are definite yesses, and some people who didn't respond well who are definite nos, but in general the middle is quite fluid: generally speaking there are more candidates who could cope than there are places to teach.
Reply 3
Original post by moon.fly

Posted from TSR Mobile

These videos on the Oxford Website explain the tutors process quite nicely!

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/interviews/tutors-video-diaries
Helpful thread! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending