The Student Room Group

Do you need Math to A level or A2 to get into medical school? Neurologist?

I'm just wondering. I've been looking around at different options and possibilities, however given maths isn't my best subject, I'm still interested in becoming a neurologist and would love to treat people and diagnose etc. But as I said maths isn't my best subject, would it be vitally important to take it to AS or A2 for this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
No
Not required for medicine as long as you take chemistry and another science

Check each uni's page for neuroscience though
Reply 3
Original post by curtis110
Not required for medicine as long as you take chemistry and another science

Check each uni's page for neuroscience though

Yeah I'm definitely taking Chem and Bio so that'll be alright. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Seeyousoon
I'm just wondering. I've been looking around at different options and possibilities, and given maths isn't my best subject, I'm interested in neuroscience and would love to treat people and diagnose etc in that area. But maths isn't my best subject, would it be vitally important to take it to AS or A2 for this?

No maths isn't needed however if you're good at maths you will be fine at AS & A2 level as long as you work hard.

Although it isn't needed it is beneficial to take on maths as it keeps your mathematical skills sharp for the UKCAT & BMAT
Same thing with Physics, most unis only want Chemistry with the majority wanting both Chemistry and Biology however it
is advantageous to take on Physics especially if applying to a BMAT university as you will have a slight advantage having kept on physics.
Reply 5
You are aware neuroscience and neurology are two different things right?

Quick Reply

Latest