The Student Room Group

ADVICE PLEASE! Not enjoying university.

Hi, I started my chemistry degree about a month ago and I'm really not enjoying it, or university in general really, but thats a different problem.
My course just seems so irrelevant to the real world, so far it's mainly quantum mechanics based and during lectures all i can do is sit there and wonder what is the point? What do we gain from this? It seems that for every rule theres a pile of exceptions to the rule. My theory is that in the grand scheme of things we know next to nothing about the universe and how it works, we just do it to make ourselves seem clever. It just seems so pointless, how will knowing the radial wave function of a hydrogen atom be of use in a job out side of research, which i do not want to go into.
Also I don't have time for anything other than work, Im up at 7 o'clock monday to friday and most days don't get back until 6 as I have to catch a bus in rush hour traffic to get back to my halls that are ridiculously far away. I then need to cook food and wash up. Once all this is done I then somehow need to find the energy to copy up lecture notes and try and understand what the hell is going on, mostly without success.
So my question is how long do I give it before considering dropping out? Christmas is my current idea but is that too early?

ps Im scared of dropping out as I feel i'll disappoint my father.
Thanks for reading:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Why did you choose Chemistry if you don't enjoy it
Reply 2
Is there a course adviser or some kind of counselor person you could speak to? I don't go to uni so I'm not sure who you'd speak to but you should tell someone how you feel. Ask what the other people on the course think. Maybe read around the subject to try and gain enthusiasm. At least wait until the next topic you do - maybe it's just the topics you've been studying so far that you don't like. If you decide in the end that Chemistry isn't for you, think of what other options you'd consider. You said that you're not enjoying uni either - and maybe that's just something you have to put up with, but you could consider options like an apprenticeship.

There's always the Open University!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
All I can say is I did a degree which i hated and it was way to late for me to drop out and now look at me i am miserable get out while you can, think of your future be happy.
Reply 4
Original post by BenLynch9

It can be a pretty unrelenting course, and particularly with those hours/distance from living space it's bound to be a bit hard on. How far are your halls? You could probably walk it quicker than that bus in rush hour. That, or learn to cycle.

A) It is a theoretical degree, so yes, there is lots of theory. There should be a good few hours of practical work though, which is training you up into doing Chemistry in a lab.
B) To actually get to the point of useful Chemistry you need the fundamentals - and that's what your degree mainly is. It's not until further down the line will it come together.
C) If you are going to stick it through - considered an industrial placement? Spend a year using Chemistry in the real world. It may be related to some area of your degree (i.e. a pharmaceutical company will expect you to be well on top of organic synthesis) or it might not (I worked in part of the polymer industry, and I hadn't really studied anything polymer related).

What other stuff have you done? You must be doing some segments of organic/inorganic as well. I loathe Physical Chemistry, and whilst quantum was okay, I certainly have no intention of doing anything much with it. See, now i'm fourth year, most of my lectures now quote stuff out of journals and discuss things either that have come into use, or are known to me, or sort of... interesting research which actually has application.

Have you done much lab work yet? I didn't like it in first year, although really got into second year. It's at least something more hands on.

You'll probably find you dislike a good third of it, but everyone often does. Deep down... you're not an organic chemistry, or you're not a physical chemist, or an inorganic one. You tend to learn that quite quickly :tongue:

Have you spoken to your tutor? Let them know, and arrange another meeting with them before Christmas, and see how things are going. They're pretty used to this, so let them try and help, or if anything, they will be an ear if you need to vent.
...so far it's mainly quantum mechanics

Sounds fun to me
Original post by anonwinner
Why did you choose Chemistry if you don't enjoy it

Cause I've always been pretty good at it and I've always found certain aspects enjoyable, but deep down I've never really known what my favourite subject is and I just seemed to go down the chemistry route..
Original post by Nymthae
It can be a pretty unrelenting course, and particularly with those hours/distance from living space it's bound to be a bit hard on. How far are your halls? You could probably walk it quicker than that bus in rush hour. That, or learn to cycle.

A) It is a theoretical degree, so yes, there is lots of theory. There should be a good few hours of practical work though, which is training you up into doing Chemistry in a lab.
B) To actually get to the point of useful Chemistry you need the fundamentals - and that's what your degree mainly is. It's not until further down the line will it come together.
C) If you are going to stick it through - considered an industrial placement? Spend a year using Chemistry in the real world. It may be related to some area of your degree (i.e. a pharmaceutical company will expect you to be well on top of organic synthesis) or it might not (I worked in part of the polymer industry, and I hadn't really studied anything polymer related).

What other stuff have you done? You must be doing some segments of organic/inorganic as well. I loathe Physical Chemistry, and whilst quantum was okay, I certainly have no intention of doing anything much with it. See, now i'm fourth year, most of my lectures now quote stuff out of journals and discuss things either that have come into use, or are known to me, or sort of... interesting research which actually has application.

Have you done much lab work yet? I didn't like it in first year, although really got into second year. It's at least something more hands on.

You'll probably find you dislike a good third of it, but everyone often does. Deep down... you're not an organic chemistry, or you're not a physical chemist, or an inorganic one. You tend to learn that quite quickly :tongue:

Have you spoken to your tutor? Let them know, and arrange another meeting with them before Christmas, and see how things are going. They're pretty used to this, so let them try and help, or if anything, they will be an ear if you need to vent.

It's about a 45 minute walk and I have done so on several occasions, it just hasn't really stopped raining since I've got here.
Yes, there's a lot of lab work, they are whats taking up most of my time. It's mainly just follow these instructions, fill in that pro forma and hand it in in two days time. I appreciate it's teaching me skills, but man 3 hours straight of labs is a killer!
I'm already on the industrial placement course! Although that seems like a long way away at the moment, haha.

It's odd.. I haven't actually done physical chemistry yet, the inorganic is just quantum mechanics based atm which is flummoxing both me and my tutor. Im also doing a module on solid state and spectroscopy and then one on forensic chemistry, which is quite enjoyable.
Yes Im planning on setting up a meeting with my tutor and asking her advice.

Thanks for the reply!
during lectures all i can do is sit there and wonder what is the point? What do we gain from this? It seems that for every rule theres a pile of exceptions to the rule. My theory is that in the grand scheme of things we know next to nothing about the universe and how it works, we just do it to make ourselves seem clever. It just seems so pointless.

I think philosophy is more up your street.
Original post by Majestic Casual
I think philosophy is more up your street.

You think? I've never really looked at what it is, I've just assumed, wrongly or rightly, that it's just some branch of English language, which I've never been particularly good at so never really looked at it.
You think? I've never really looked at what it is, I've just assumed, wrongly or rightly, that it's just some branch of English language, which I've never been particularly good at so never really looked at it.

Yes, definitely.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.
Hi, I started my chemistry degree about a month ago and I'm really not enjoying it, or university in general really, but thats a different problem.
My course just seems so irrelevant to the real world, so far it's mainly quantum mechanics based and during lectures all i can do is sit there and wonder what is the point? What do we gain from this? It seems that for every rule theres a pile of exceptions to the rule. My theory is that in the grand scheme of things we know next to nothing about the universe and how it works, we just do it to make ourselves seem clever. It just seems so pointless, how will knowing the radial wave function of a hydrogen atom be of use in a job out side of research, which i do not want to go into.
Also I don't have time for anything other than work, Im up at 7 o'clock monday to friday and most days don't get back until 6 as I have to catch a bus in rush hour traffic to get back to my halls that are ridiculously far away. I then need to cook food and wash up. Once all this is done I then somehow need to find the energy to copy up lecture notes and try and understand what the hell is going on, mostly without success.
So my question is how long do I give it before considering dropping out? Christmas is my current idea but is that too early?

You talk about quantum mechanics as though it's some kind of fringe theory when it contains the most fundamental, basic laws of nature. There's a huge amount of technology that wouldn't exist if we didn't understand it. Even if you don't go into research or a related field the analytical skills you develop will be valued by employers. The issue is not whether the content you're learning is useful in reality, because it most certainly bloody is, but whether you're interested in it. Chemistry is brutal degree to do if you have zero interest in the content and whether or not you have long bus rides your free time would be limited. My suggestion is this; if you can't figure out why the content you are learning is relevant and important, then simply stop thinking about that and ask yourself whether you find it interesting in its own sake. If not you might want to request a transfer to a subject more up your alley.
Original post by Unkempt_One
You talk about quantum mechanics as though it's some kind of fringe theory when it contains the most fundamental, basic laws of nature. There's a huge amount of technology that wouldn't exist if we didn't understand it. Even if you don't go into research or a related field the analytical skills you develop will be valued by employers. The issue is not whether the content you're learning is useful in reality, because it most certainly bloody is, but whether you're interested in it. Chemistry is brutal degree to do if you have zero interest in the content and whether or not you have long bus rides your free time would be limited. My suggestion is this; if you can't figure out why the content you are learning is relevant and important, then simply stop thinking about that and ask yourself whether you find it interesting in its own sake. If not you might want to request a transfer to a subject more up your alley.

Ok man, thanks. I'll take that into consideration.
Ben you need to give it till Christmas. I hated my first term as well, but saw it differently when I came back after Christmas. You are only in first year, you may want to consider a course change if you still feel the same after Christmas. My friend dropped out of Chemistry, thought it was too much. You may consider Philosophy.
Would chemical engineering perhaps feel a bit more meaningful for you, whilst continuing to use your talent for chemistry?

Massively ignorant statement and an insult to the efforts of thousands upon thousands of brilliant people who have dedicated their existence to figuring out a lot of very hard stuff. I can't understate how far human understanding has come. Massive irony in making such a statement on the internet using a computer, so much has had to be understood to make these amazing things possible.
Well I kind of agree Majestic Casual. I see myself as more of a sociologist since I like things that involve the real world. I like to consider things from different groups of people and if you enjoy that more maybe you can try and do a transfer course. I know someone who was studying Economics at university and transferred to studying education in his first year. If chemistry isn't for you then quit it.
One thing you can consider before dropping out is a transfer to a different university, you will have to seek out the admissions departments from them, but they may offer differing chemistry modules more relevant to real world employment or closer on campus accommodation which seems to be your two main gripes. You may also be able to switch course within your current university. Have a talk with your tutor about your dissatisfaction and get the ball rolling. That's at least how it works here.

Ahhh, chemistry is tough! After O' levels I couldn't imagine taking it again in A' levels. :smile: It just sounds too theoretical and less practical. They really need to show the students the real life applications and not just give them facts to memorize.

Consider a change in major e.g. Biology?
Original post by Ankabout
Ahhh, chemistry is tough! After O' levels I couldn't imagine taking it again in A' levels. :smile: It just sounds too theoretical and less practical. They really need to show the students the real life applications and not just give them facts to memorize.

Consider a change in major e.g. Biology?

Those are my current thoughts also. I've been looking at biochemistry, which seems slightly more applied but still maintaining the chemistry side of things. I, regretfully, didn't do biology A-level so i don't think I could change to a Biology course.

Quick Reply