The Student Room Group

University Students: Do you study predominantly in the Library or in your room ?

Poll

Library of at home/room

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The library is only good at certain times imo. During the day it is quite busy with a lot of students doing group work and I find it really hard to work as a result. Although working in my room is hard too. :dontknow:
First and second year I found the library useful for all bits of work, third year I only revised in there and for my postgraduate I avoided the library like the plague :/
Original post by Vapor
What was the reason for the changes ?

I soon became too familiar with the surroundings of the library. During my third year I'd spend time in there between massive gaps in lectures which was usually procrastinating. Eventually I suppose I just associated the library with procrastination. The novelty in my first/second years of being surrounded by those who were also working hard was nice and it almost made me feel more studious. In the third year the presence of others working hard whilst I was struggling with some coursework didn't help so I found being in my room/house way more helpful.

I avoided the library during my postgrad because it was full of undergrads :wink:
Library if I'm not drunk.
Anywhere. Just anywhere I can sit my ass down and get to it :mad: Anywhere I can crack a book. Out to eat, tube journey, room, toilet :wink:, mate's place, library, another class lol. Hell I brought my work out on a date :tongue: I was like waiting for my food (this was just this passed weekend) and whilst we were drinking and eating appetizers I was like, "So​, do you know how to balance equations :smile:."
Original post by Complex solution
Library if I'm not drunk.

LOL.
The library is scary, I don't go in there :nooo:, room only.
The library most times. If there was such a thing as as 'The University Library Awards' mine would get it.
I do my work almost exclusively in my room (or the Law faculty if I need access to a certain book for a short period of time).

This is easier imo. Just roll out of bed, fire up the laptop and get started. Plus my room is closer to the kitchen than the library is, which is probably the main thing.
I used to study in department computer rooms and also in the bar. They had powerpoints, wifi and enough background noise to help filter out distractions but not enough to be distracting.
Library or at the computer clusters. Can't do any work at home ever
The only time I've used the library was when my internet was down and I desperately needed it for work. My campus is a 30 minute walk away. Unless I'm already in uni, there's no point.
Original post by Vapor
I can't do this. I'm too sensitive too noise.

I always used to say I was going to do work on the train home which is a 4 hour journey but if someone at the opposite end of the carriage is drinking water the noise distracts me let alone the train noses themselves.

Eh? lol wow. Well I'm a city gal and used to noise :K: I actually find silence too demanding to concentrate in it. I can typically study anywhere but I prefer in a busy place because at home I'm always bothered >.<
Original post by Vapor
Scary in what way ?

Are you a first year or a later year ? I'm curious to find out if there's a link between being further into a course and the likelihood of then studying at home as a result.

Second year, and going in there just makes me anxious. Much rather be in my room alone.
Original post by Vapor
I think you've just helped me to realise exactly why I've gone off it.

Too many times I've dragged myself to the library and felt proud studious that I've managed to make it there, unpacked, but then never actually do anything and now I just find it impossible to work there.

Would you say it's a common thing for later years and post grads to work outside of the library or is it just yourself ?

:yy:

Perhaps stop going there for a few months. If you find yourself struggling in your room when you go back to the library you'll find you're once again productive.

It's tough to say really, everyone has preferences. In dissertation season, the library will be rammed with final years but plenty will also avoid it. I wouldn't say it's so easily categorised :top:
Usually at home. My uni is two hours away and at the moment I'm not at halls.

I usually study at home and sometimes in the library. But usually it's packed and generally frustrates me so I go to the IT workrooms instead. More peaceful
The city library was always 100 times better than the uni library. No computer access, no other students, no distractions. Just peace and quiet, big tables to spread out on, and natural light from the windows.
I always choose my room so that I can have snacks, drinks, and music whilst I'm working normally - that is, completing question sheets and rewriting lecture notes, though I leave the door open in an attempt to be more sociable.

If I have practice exam papers I want to do then I will go to the library and work in there for the silence and the freedom from distraction but otherwise the only use I have for a library is printing things out on rare occasions.
Never did work in the library when I was in uni. Always did my work at home and in the computer labs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest