The Student Room Group

AS German - Work Experience

Hello all! Currently I am doing AS Level German and would like to pursue this at degree level, and in my Sixth Form I've got to complete a weeks worth of work experience on the last week of the year, but I am already doing a work experience exchange in February half term, anyone have any ideas what I could do over here?

THANK YOU!
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
BUMP
This is probably not the answer you are looking for but you could do a week in a primary or secondary school, helping to teach German.
Reply 4
Hi, I know this is quite a late reply but my sixth form organised two weeks of work experience and I chose a company called MAHLE. They were an international firm who distribute automotive parts across the world. I thought this would be beneficial as I would have the chance to communicate with German people in an office environment and get an insight into how languages are implemented into a "real job". I thoroughly enjoyed the experience but I didn't get the opportunity to use my German as much as I wanted to. In fact, I only had a few conversations with visiting employees from the German branch and translated phrases for employees now and then. On the other hand, I did learn some very valuable transferable skills such as how to conduct yourself in an office environment and a grasp on how computer software is used within business.

Drawing on my experience. I would make sure that languages are integral to the company that you go and work for and make sure that you are promised that you will be able to use your German. Another alternative as Curtis mentioned would be working in a school which undoubtedly gives you a chance to practice.

Just as a final thing I see that you want to German as part of your degree. I've already applied to my universities and received 5 offers to do Business/International Business with German degrees. So if you want any help with applying to uni or a German based personal statement then let me know. That applies to German too (but I'm by no means fluent)

Best of luck with finding your work experience and getting on to a German degree!
:smile:
I've applied to study German and translation at university. Thought my AS year I helped out for two hours a week in a year 7 german class, tutored somebody in Year 11 German. My work experience week I went to a local primary school and ran 6 taster sessions to year 3&4. They really loved it and the school are even going to start offering german alongside french for these year groups!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest