The Student Room Group

The Pill and diabetes

ok, ive literally just took the pill (dianette)for the first time, and now am scaring myself reading about blood clots because i have diabetes and therefore a higher risk.

it says to go straight to your doctor if you get funny pains-well i get minor odd pains every now and again anyway! how am i meant to know if its urgent?

arggghhh its not fair! why cant boys have a pill instead! :biggrin:

does anyone know what the chances are of thrombosis?
Reply 1
saoirse
arggghhh its not fair! why cant boys have a pill instead! :biggrin:

Cause its the difference between holding back one egg or massacring billions of sperm, its the more human method. :wink:

But seriously, go see your doctor if you're worried. That said, surely he would have mentioned something when he put you on the pill? He must know you've got diabetes?
Reply 2
just a question, but didn't your doctor ask if you had diabetes, or know beforehand? i know i got asked that before they put me on the pill, and sometimes if you have diabetes they won't considering putting you on it all. i would go back to your GP and make sure they know.
Reply 3
it says to go straight to your doctor if you get funny pains-well i get minor odd pains every now and again anyway! how am i meant to know if its urgent?

I suppose if they're worse than usual or if you get them more often, perhaps. Tis always hard to know what is worth bothering the doctor for... I took the pill for the first time on Friday and had a splitting headache, and I'd been told that if I got migraines from the pill, I'd have to change which one I'm on, especially as I used to get them a lot anyway. But seeing as it's not come back, and my friend tells me it's quite normal to get a headache in the first few days, I've assumed it's OK.

If you're worried, I suggest you go back to the doctors and ask how high the risk is, and what alternatives they would suggest.

Oh, and
arggghhh its not fair! why cant boys have a pill instead!
I think I did read something about one somewhere... But I think it's probably cos they're too lazy. I mean, they can manage to buy condoms, but to go and make a doctor's appointment... :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending