The Student Room Group

How important is maths if I want do medicine? Please help.

Hello,

Fairly new to TSR and looking for a bit of advice please :smile: I'm in year 11, and I want to study medicine at university. My ideal A level choices would be chemistry, biology, french and english - however I am aware that to be a real competitor for medical schools it is better to have maths instead of eng/french.

The only problem is, I really don't like maths and think that I would struggle with the A level (I'm predicted A* at GCSE but many people have told me that this is not a guarantee that I will succeed with the subject at A level). I don't view myself as a 'natural mathematician' and have always had a passion for literature rather than algebra!

I realise that on many medical school websites maths isn't compulsory but sixth formers I have spoken to at my school say that if I'm serious about medicine then I need to take it.

Do I dramatically decrease my chance of getting into med school if I don't take maths? Even if I got really good A levels overall? Also, I know that some unis look at GCSEs and BMAT/UKCAT for more of an indication...

So confused!

Scroll to see replies

If you want to apply to like Cambridge then take it.

If not, you'll be fine with just bio and chem.

I think bio, chem, Maths and French would be a very good combination but unless you feel comfortable there's no point. AS isn't too hard anyway tbh
Reply 2
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If you want to apply to like Cambridge then take it.

If not, you'll be fine with just bio and chem.

I think bio, chem, Maths and French would be a very good combination but unless you feel comfortable there's no point. AS isn't too hard anyway tbh

Thanks for the fast rep!
I know Cambridge want it, I don't think Oxford technically want maths but obviously a lot of their applicants would have it so I'd be disadvantaged. But I'm not too bothered about oxbridge to be honest.

that combination does sound really good for med but I'm just nervous about the maths. If I'll be fine without it I don't think I'll take it but i'm just not sure it's so competitive that idk if I can afford to stay in my cofmort zone.

Is AS maths only a small step up from gcse then?
It's probably useful but you definitely don't need it, apart from the exceptions given above. If you don't like Maths, don't take it! Just be warned that you won't be able to avoid maths forever.
Original post by ephemeral09
Thanks for the fast rep!
I know Cambridge want it, I don't think Oxford technically want maths but obviously a lot of their applicants would have it so I'd be disadvantaged. But I'm not too bothered about oxbridge to be honest.

that combination does sound really good for med but I'm just nervous about the maths. If I'll be fine without it I don't think I'll take it but i'm just not sure it's so competitive that idk if I can afford to stay in my cofmort zone.

Is AS maths only a small step up from gcse then?

I don't want to persuade you into maths but it really isn't a big step up at all.

C1 is just a brush over of GCSE. C2 is just some new principles and building on trig and such. And then you pick S1 which is simple.
Hello,

Fairly new to TSR and looking for a bit of advice please :smile: I'm in year 11, and I want to study medicine at university. My ideal A level choices would be chemistry, biology, french and english - however I am aware that to be a real competitor for medical schools it is better to have maths instead of eng/french.

The only problem is, I really don't like maths and think that I would struggle with the A level (I'm predicted A* at GCSE but many people have told me that this is not a guarantee that I will succeed with the subject at A level). I don't view myself as a 'natural mathematician' and have always had a passion for literature rather than algebra!

I realise that on many medical school websites maths isn't compulsory but sixth formers I have spoken to at my school say that if I'm serious about medicine then I need to take it.

Do I dramatically decrease my chance of getting into med school if I don't take maths? Even if I got really good A levels overall? Also, I know that some unis look at GCSEs and BMAT/UKCAT for more of an indication...

So confused!

You don't need maths (except for Cambridge). I don't think doing it would put you at any advantage.

(Although I wouldn't be put off by other people say it's "difficult". Different people are good at different things.)
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
It's probably useful but you definitely don't need it, apart from the exceptions given above. If you don't like Maths, don't take it! Just be warned that you won't be able to avoid maths forever.

Thanks for the advice - so it won't disadvantage me in med school applications if I don't have it then?

But would you say that if I could muster enthusiasm for it and work to get a good grade that it would be very useful or only a bit?

(sorry about loads of questions!)
maths relates very closely to medicine.

if you don't like maths theres a strong chance you won't like medicine
Reply 8
I don't want to persuade you into maths but it really isn't a big step up at all.

C1 is just a brush over of GCSE. C2 is just some new principles and building on trig and such. And then you pick S1 which is simple.

If it really isn't a big step up then I might consider it, I'll have to weigh up the benefits and things. I'm assuming you've done A level maths then? Apparently A2 is where it gets really tough but I know it all depends on the person.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
You don't need maths (except for Cambridge). I don't think doing it would put you at any advantage.

(Although I wouldn't be put off by other people say it's "difficult". Different people are good at different things.)

That's really good to hear, thank you

Original post by hukdealz

Hmmm except I really love chemistry and biology and it is my dream to do medicine

(edited 9 years ago)
If it really isn't a big step up then I might consider it, I'll have to weigh up the benefits and things. I'm assuming you've done A level maths then? Apparently A2 is where it gets really tough but I know it all depends on the person.

A2 Maths is where the step up is imo, if there is one.

It does depend on you but at A2 you can just choose to continue bio, chem and French :smile:

I'm saying French because it's an easy AS if you're decent at it haha, English lit is a lot more subjective

I don't think that's true.

That's really good to hear, thank you

Hmmm except I really love chemistry and biology and it is my dream to do medicine

have you had an experience?

loving biology and chemistry doesn't automatically mean that you love medicine.

if only...
Reply 12
A2 Maths is where the step up is imo, if there is one.

It does depend on you but at A2 you can just choose to continue bio, chem and French :smile:

I'm saying French because it's an easy AS if you're decent at it haha, English lit is a lot more subjective

That's a good point it would be nice to maybe drop it after AS but my school expects us to continue them all on to full A level :/
French seems more useful to me as well because I want to travel and live in different places so language is kind of important for that. It's also one of my stronger subjects so I'm keen to do it, yeah
That's a good point it would be nice to maybe drop it after AS but my school expects us to continue them all on to full A level :/
French seems more useful to me as well because I want to travel and live in different places so language is kind of important for that. It's also one of my stronger subjects so I'm keen to do it, yeah

Ooooh

Well I think you'd be fine if your school expects 4 A2s because that implies their teaching standard is high!

Good choice!
Reply 14
have you had an experience?

loving biology and chemistry doesn't automatically mean that you love medicine.

if only...

If by experience you mean work experience, then yes I have and I really enjoyed it. Although I do appreciate that it is a tough subject to study, but there are positives and negatives to every degree really
If by experience you mean work experience, then yes I have and I really enjoyed it. Although I do appreciate that it is a tough subject to study, but there are positives and negatives to every degree really

if you've experienced it first hand then I'd say you're good to go.

But nothing can really prepare for what a medicine can entail. I'm not trying to discourage you from studying medicine. Don't get me wrong helping people in need is very rewarding, but medicine is a lifelong commitment to endless exams, pressures and stresses. There's a reason 78% of doctors wouldn't recommend medicine as a career to their child

to commit to a medical career, you have to want it 110%. It is, without a shadow of doubt, the hardest degree out there, and one of the most stressful professions.
Assuming you do not want to go go to Cambridge, not taking maths will not disadvantage you.
I'm a med applicant this year and can tell you maths is really helpful for the entrance exams (UKCAT and BMAT) so it's a useful thing to have. I want expected to take 4A2 subjects because of my GCSE grades so took as maths as a fifth choice. It wasn't that much extra work, IS helpful, looks good on an application and I was able to drop it. If I was you I'd take it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Treeniebop
I'm a med applicant this year and can tell you maths is really helpful for the entrance exams (UKCAT and BMAT) so it's a useful thing to have. I want expected to take 4A2 subjects because of my GCSE grades so took as maths as a fifth choice. It wasn't that much extra work, IS helpful, looks good on an application and I was able to drop it. If I was you I'd take it!

I didn't realise the entrance exams included maths in them... I suppose if I think I'm up to it then it looks like a good idea, even if I just do it to AS. Thank you for the help and good luck! :smile:
I didn't realise the entrance exams included maths in them... I suppose if I think I'm up to it then it looks like a good idea, even if I just do it to AS. Thank you for the help and good luck! :smile:

Unfortunately! Particularly the BMAT (it advertises as GCSE knowledge but really isn't!)

Thanks, you too, hope this year goes well so you're all set up for it

Quick Reply

Latest