The Student Room Group

Do you really have to put everything down on your CV/UCAS?

Mum wasn't really academic, got a CSE Grade 1 and O Level D ( gcse foundation C&GCSE Higher D) in English Language ( she messed her speaking for the O-Level.. was the last bunch to do O-Levels&CSE's before they turned into GCSEs Higher&Foundation,etc ) but not much else, if anything else ( she walked out of her Chem O-Level exam after Half an Hour..).... did GCSE dance,drama,music and media at College got a C, did Three A-Levels: Sociology, English Language and Theatre Studies... didn't turn up to Sociology and English lessons so got an E in those but a C in Theatre. Went to Dance School etc, was on Blue Peter,etc Dancing and stuff, but this isn't really the point i'm not here to brag about mum ( srs i'm not -_-)

On her CV she has just put down Her CSE English Language& 4 GCSE Grades and her A-Level in Theatre Studies C ( I think she took up Creative Writing GCSE aswell and got a A* or A) and what date she completed them. BUT she hasn't mentioned her 2 GCE A-Level E's and her O-Level D to ANYONE... and HAS NEVER mentioned it on her CV.

This hasn't stopped her and no-one has really cared that much so do you really need to put every single thing on your CV&UCAS?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Yelloo? ...
No you don't at all, I massively failed GCSE Science and never put it on my CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by BANS2012
No you don't at all, I massively failed GCSE Science and never put it on my CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks... wb UCAS though?
UCAS yes, you have to declare all grades.

Your CV is up to you, so long as you don't actively lie. Most adults with good grades don't even bother putting them down after they have a few years' industry experience. There comes a time when nobody really cares what you got in GCSE RS.

Edit: Note that the context matters - if you don't have a degree, or are going for first time graduate jobs, they will care about your A-levels. Basically, a CV is your chance to sell yourself. They will notice big omissions / gaps, and lying is fraud, but other than that I think you're fine. If the explicitly ask for all grades you have to put them down - some jobs do, but most don't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reading the OP was painful enough...

I hope you get someone to check your CV when you're done... That or someone who can help you with your literacy!
Reply 6
Original post by Lord Jon

I hope you get someone to check your CV when you're done... That or someone who can help you with your literacy!

Where did I go wrong :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7

Are you talking about the way I wrote it?

Because I can't see any spelling mistakes... ? Unless you're talking about the use of etc or where I forgot to put up for after messed & and after College & it instead of them or I used commas and full stops in the wrong place/or I didn't use them at all? .....

Or where I used srs instead of serious? Because that's an abbreviation not a mistake?????? Are colloquialisms not allowed?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Octohedral
UCAS yes, you have to declare all grades.

Your CV is up to you, so long as you don't actively lie. Most adults with good grades don't even bother putting them down after they have a few years' industry experience. There comes a time when nobody really cares what you got in GCSE RS.

Edit: Note that the context matters - if you don't have a degree, or are going for first time graduate jobs, they will care about your A-levels. Basically, a CV is your chance to sell yourself. They will notice big omissions / gaps, and lying is fraud, but other than that I think you're fine. If the explicitly ask for all grades you have to put them down - some jobs do, but most don't.

Haha my mum says in 10 years time no-one will care what Degree you'e got, when you took it,etc and if you brag/tell everyone what qualifications you've got you'll look stupid anyway. However she still says qualifications are good to have and you need some for some jobs ( Doctor for example) but you have to have skills aswell....

Why for UCAS you have too put everything down?
Reply 9
No I did NVQ Beauty Therapy and a VTCT nail extension course about a decade ago; I don't bother mentioning those on my CV. I also don't list my GCSEs instead I just put "x GCSE passes at grade C and above including English and Science" under my secondary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by gemmam
No I did NVQ Beauty Therapy and a VTCT nail extension course about a decade ago; I don't bother mentioning those on my CV. I also don't list my GCSEs anymore now I have higher qualifications and work experience. Instead I just put "x GCSE passes at grade C and above including English and Science" under my secondary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you put on your CV then?
Reply 11
Original post by elmosandy
What do you put on your CV then?

My work experience/previous employment and other qualifications I have done.
Reply 12
Original post by gemmam
My work experience/previous employment and other qualifications I have done.

Such as your NVQ Level 4 and or Higher Qualifications?

Btw when you say work experience did you do this in Year 10/11 or when you were an Adult?

and Thankyou!
Reply 13
Such as your NVQ Level 4 and or Higher Qualifications?

Btw when you say work experience did you do this in Year 10/11 or when you were an Adult?

and Thankyou!

No problem. No just qualifications which are more relevant eg. ECDL, functional skills, my degree etc. I mean volunteering I did as an adult, haven't mentioned my year 10 or sixth form work experience on my CV for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by gemmam
No problem. No just qualifications which are more relevant eg. ECDL, functional skills, my degree etc. I mean volunteering I did as an adult, haven't mentioned my year 10 or sixth form work experience on my CV for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's ECDL ? and ah I see thanks again!!!!
Reply 15
What's ECDL ? and ah I see thanks again!!!!

European computer driving license

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Hello?

Quick Reply