The Student Room Group

What laptop should I buy?

I am currently doing my A2's and am looking for an everyday laptop to research, write essays, watch movies and just generally surf the web on. I have a budget of around £300 and am quite keen on a hp chromebook 14 just because I love the design and it looks portable.

I want this laptop to last me through at least the first year of uni next year, would you recommend the chromebook?

I would recommend the acer chromebook, fast light very portable! but only 11 inch screen. all up to you, chromebooks are very useful though :smile:
If you want a Chromebook get the Acer Aspire one, fast, powerful and would suit what you want to do. However, Chromebooks can't get Microsoft apps like Word, Excel etc, so if that's important get a more conventional laptop
Aye. If small and you have a desk, wouldn't hurt in the future buying an additional larger screen, keyboard and mouse to attach to it. Would serve purposes pretty well.
Thank you, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one, I don't really mind about not having microsoft word because there's alternatives and I have a desktop too with microsoft installed :smile:

Although I am a little hesitant because of how chromebooks always have to be connected to the internet ect? any advice
Original post by hellodave5
Aye. If small and you have a desk, wouldn't hurt in the future buying an additional larger screen, keyboard and mouse to attach to it. Would serve purposes pretty well.

Thanks, forgot to mention I have a desktop too atm which I'll take with me to uni :smile:
Original post by LynetteGracex
Thanks, forgot to mention I have a desktop too atm which I'll take with me to uni :smile:

Ah in that case. Aye, little netbooks are useful. I got myself one too!

Mine is an acer aspire i3 processor model: does the job really well.
Also a few replies have mentioned the acer chromebook, is the HP inferior?
Doesnt matter to be always connected for using google docs etc, just make sure you turn on offline syncing, as that'll allow you to access docs offline and edit them.

from what i read when choosing mine, is that the acer is the best of them all. and also the cheapest, yes the keyboard is clunky and thats all that feels cheap on it!
Original post by Jay018
Doesnt matter to be always connected for using google docs etc, just make sure you turn on offline syncing, as that'll allow you to access docs offline and edit them.

from what i read when choosing mine, is that the acer is the best of them all. and also the cheapest, yes the keyboard is clunky and thats all that feels cheap on it!

is that the one with the 11.6'' screen?
is that the one with the 11.6'' screen?

It is yes, and was hesitant at the size at first, dropping down from a 15.5 inch screen. but you get use to it over time, and you will even be able to attach a screen to it thanks to the hdmi slot
Original post by Jay018
It is yes, and was hesitant at the size at first, dropping down from a 15.5 inch screen. but you get use to it over time, and you will even be able to attach a screen to it thanks to the hdmi slot

Okay, thank you, I'll look into it :smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-CB5-311-13-3-inch-Chromebook/dp/B00NWHV4E4/ref=psdc1_t2_B00NWHV4RG_B00NWHV4E4

This is the one you want. Only just came out, has a ridiculously good processor/graphics so handles high def movies well, and is rapid for any task you could wanna do on a Chromebook. The HP ones have a crappy very weak processor that shows it's lack of power under any remotely intensive tasks.

Also a few replies have mentioned the acer chromebook, is the HP inferior?
Thanks for the recommendation, great design and looks super light, I'll definitely have a look into it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending