The Student Room Group

Laptop/Mac advice for first time buyer?

Never used a Mac before and don't really understand laptops, but gonna need one for uni. Any advice on what's best? I'm looking for something quite cheap and light :smile:
Original post by lightningdoritos
Never used a Mac before and don't really understand laptops, but gonna need one for uni. Any advice on what's best? I'm looking for something quite cheap and light :smile:

Macs aren't cheap computers, but they're worth it in my opinion, the battery life, build quality and support are far better than that of their competitors. The Air and the Pro are both fairly light and portable, up to you whether you want to pay more for the higher spec and better screen.

Also, if you only need it for when you get to university, wait until you start before buying so you can get the student discount, and in case the models get updated before then.
Original post by jameswhughes
Macs aren't cheap computers, but they're worth it in my opinion, the battery life, build quality and support are far better than that of their competitors. The Air and the Pro are both fairly light and portable, up to you whether you want to pay more for the higher spec and better screen.

Also, if you only need it for when you get to university, wait until you start before buying so you can get the student discount, and in case the models get updated before then.

Okay thanks! What are the main differences between a Mac and a normal laptop? Aside from the things you've just mentioned, do they both essentially do the same things? :smile:
What do you need it for?

In my experience macs are better. As another poster said, build quality, battery ect are better. I think macs (generally speaking) are more geared for artists/designers in terms of programs and workflow.

Its really down to what you need out a laptop, how often it will be used and how much you are prepared to pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CarbonProduction
What do you need it for?

In my experience macs are better. As another poster said, build quality, battery ect are better. I think macs (generally speaking) are more geared for artists/designers in terms of programs and workflow.

Its really down to what you need out a laptop, how often it will be used and how much you are prepared to pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's mainly for uni, and I don't need anything special...
Well it's mainly for uni, and I don't need anything special...

Could you elaborate on that? Needing a computer for university could mean anything :tongue:

Also, yes you can do pretty much all the things you can do on a PC a on a Mac, and often in an even better way. The only thing I can think of where a Mac falls behind is gaming.
Could you elaborate on that? Needing a computer for university could mean anything :tongue:

Also, yes you can do pretty much all the things you can do on a PC a on a Mac, and often in an even better way. The only thing I can think of where a Mac falls behind is gaming.

Haha yeah sorry, what I mean is that I'll be using it for making notes (work related stuff), youtube, and general browsing so nothing too technical.

Well if that's the case then I may just get a normal laptop then :P

If you want something cheap don't buy a Mac no matter what people say on this thread. They obviously didn't see that part:rolleyes:, personally maybe a Chromebook might be your thing, very cheap very light good for students accept its drawback being it's programs are mainly geared towards google.

I think look at the notebook range of Samsung and sony, the best in the business for cheapish notebooks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha yeah sorry, what I mean is that I'll be using it for making notes (work related stuff), youtube, and general browsing so nothing too technical.

Well if that's the case then I may just get a normal laptop then :P

If you're doing simple like watching a YouTube video, then yes, any laptop can do that. However, with the Mac you need to look at the overall machine, for example with battery life (very useful as a student) and customer support it's really in a league of its own. Up to you whether you want to pay the premium for these premium features. :smile:

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
If you want something cheap don't buy a Mac no matter what people say on this thread. They obviously didn't see that part:rolleyes:, personally maybe a Chromebook might be your thing, very cheap very light good for students accept its drawback being it's programs are mainly geared towards google.

I think look at the notebook range of Samsung and sony, the best in the business for cheapish notebooks :smile:

Is that really a good idea? Sony and Samsung have both recently left the laptop business, so while you might pick one up in a fire sale, it could be hard to get support for their products afterwards.
If you want something cheap don't buy a Mac no matter what people say on this thread. They obviously didn't see that part:rolleyes:,

You can buy a refurbished Mac for £200, about the same as a normal laptop. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that really a good idea? Sony and Samsung have both recently left the laptop business, so while you might pick one up in a fire sale, it could be hard to get support for their products afterwards.

While Samsung has withdrawn from making PCs they are still very much in the notebook industry now only selling Chromebooks so their support should still be good.
Sony have discontinued completely but are being taken over and actually Sony vaois are still going to be on shelf next year so support shouldn't be a problem.
You can buy a refurbished Mac for £200, about the same as a normal laptop.

As this person is going to uni I would think they would want their laptop to last a long time so probably want a new laptop? Although I'm intrigued toto see how good this mac is at that price, care to share a link? I haven't seen many good used macs under £400 but wouldn't mind picking one up myself for £200 :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Or or or....you can buy a Microsoft surface for under £600 which is a tablet/PC. Portable for lectures and then when you go back just plug in in the keyboard and all office programmes are on there. Can't go wrong.

But I wouldn't get the RT one since I can't stand mine haha get the pro or pro 2 with has Intel so can run most things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01
Or or or....you can buy a Microsoft surface for under £600 which is a tablet/PC. Portable for lectures and then when you go back just plug in in the keyboard and all office programmes are on there. Can't go wrong.

But I wouldn't get the RT one since I can't stand mine haha get the pro or pro 2 with has Intel so can run most things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh sounds interesting, is that the one with the advert on TV where the guy takes it everywhere with him and turns it into a laptop and stuff? :P
Ooh sounds interesting, is that the one with the advert on TV where the guy takes it everywhere with him and turns it into a laptop and stuff? :P

I think so:smile: just type in Microsoft surface pro 2 in argos or something. If you gave a NUS extra card you can get discount on the Microsoft store:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As this person is going to uni I would think they would want their laptop to last a long time so probably want a new laptop? Although I'm intrigued toto see how good this mac is at that price, care to share a link? I haven't seen many good used macs under £400 but wouldn't mind picking one up myself for £200 :biggrin:

Im sure they would but its always an option. :smile:

Just bought mines this morning for £199, from a little shop in my city, its in good nick apart from some wear and tear at the top of the screen. Its working well, but I'll let you know if its surviving in a few months. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im sure they would but its always an option. :smile:

Just bought mines this morning for £199, from a little shop in my city, its in good nick apart from some wear and tear at the top of the screen. Its working well, but I'll let you know if its surviving in a few months. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice, haha yeah let me know :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending