The Student Room Group

Computer science accreditation important

If i go to a uni and the course im doing is not accredited will it effect me in the future.
Im thinking of applying to Leeds, lancaster, leicester, essex and brunel.
I'm not sure what you mean by a non-accredited course, but in the computing industry, all people care about is skill. If you are as good as the next guy, regardless of qualifications, you will get the same offers.

Some employers do obviously discriminate based on qualifications, but most don't, and many very big companies also don't.
BCS Accreditation has two purposes: for one, you can use it towards getting Chartered IT Professional status which, despite what some say above, is actually strongly preferred in some risk-sensitive IT areas. The second is that BCS accreditation requires a course to contain the skills and knowledge needed to perform practical IT work. If a course is not accredited, it almost certainly does not meet the expectations of the professional body of the IT industry in Britain.

If you wanted to work in the IT industry, it probably isn't a good sign if a CS degree lacks BCS accreditation - whether the course has a games, commercial or scientific emphasis. Whether you directly need the accreditation for CITP status is a different matter.

George
Reply 3
Depends on which industry you're going into. Personally for me in the embedded industry I can't see it coming in much use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending