The Student Room Group

Want to help brother, but hate my mum

I have a brother who has very severe autism. I work as a carer so I can take care of him without worrying about how to sustain myself.

I love my brother and I would like to continue working as his carer because I know I am very good for him. However, I HATE my mum. For reasons that I think would be irrelevant to mention here, it makes me rage to just be in her house, let alone stand next to her. We don't get along in the extreme.

This means that I want to change jobs now, because I don't want to be next to her and also because other jobs have more prospects for me to move on with my life and start real careers.

The thing is, I'd feel guilty leaving my brother just so I can stop seeing my mum. His disability is very specific and there is no one in the world who understands him/knows how to take care of him better than me. In fact, I think being replaced by another carer would be harmful for him.

P.S. I could work another job and still make time to work with my brother but I cannot overemphasise how much grief being near my mum is causing me.

I know this is a student forum and I'm recently graduated, but I'd like to hear your opinions/what would you do.
Ultimately, do you see yourself caring for your brother for ever? For the time being though, don't let your relationship with your mother get in the way of you and your brother, I understand it's hard but it wouldn't be fair on your brother. I think you should consider looking for a carer for him but still help him as much as you can. Who knows, maybe you'll find a great carer and you can always offer advise for this carer to make sure their good for your brother.
Reply 2
Original post by TomCoppola
Ultimately, do you see yourself caring for your brother for ever? For the time being though, don't let your relationship with your mother get in the way of you and your brother, I understand it's hard but it wouldn't be fair on your brother. I think you should consider looking for a carer for him but still help him as much as you can. Who knows, maybe you'll find a great carer and you can always offer advise for this carer to make sure their good for your brother.

Yes I can see myself taking care of him forever. If my mum wasn't in the picture it would be a lot easier for me to care for him because she wouldn't hover in the background.

My mum doesn't believe I care for him that much. She thinks I pretend to hate her so I don't have to take care of him.
RKO dat bitch.
Don't hate your mum, its not nice/respectful... :redface: its understandable that you may not get on, put please don't say that.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a brother who has very severe autism. I work as a carer so I can take care of him without worrying about how to sustain myself.

I love my brother and I would like to continue working as his carer because I know I am very good for him. However, I HATE my mum. For reasons that I think would be irrelevant to mention here, it makes me rage to just be in her house, let alone stand next to her. We don't get along in the extreme.

This means that I want to change jobs now, because I don't want to be next to her and also because other jobs have more prospects for me to move on with my life and start real careers.

The thing is, I'd feel guilty leaving my brother just so I can stop seeing my mum. His disability is very specific and there is no one in the world who understands him/knows how to take care of him better than me. In fact, I think being replaced by another carer would be harmful for him.

P.S. I could work another job and still make time to work with my brother but I cannot overemphasise how much grief being near my mum is causing me.

I know this is a student forum and I'm recently graduated, but I'd like to hear your opinions/what would you do.

Actually...
the reasons you hate her
aren't very irrelevant. They can give people some insight on how to help you. Maybe they are resolvable issues :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Don't hate your mum, its not nice/respectful... :redface: its understandable that you may not get on, put please don't say that.

Pipe down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending