The Student Room Group

International Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Hey all! :biggrin:

So I thought it would be cool to have a separate thread for international applicants and whatnot. :tongue:

So where are you guys from? (India here.)
Where all have you applied to? (Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow for me.)
Have you managed to get some good work experiance? (I haven't got much diversity. :frown:)
Do you think you'll get any offers? (I am really scared I'll get nothing. :s-smilie:)

Also, I was wondering will not giving an interview (because you can't go to the UK) lessen our chances somehow? I don't think it's the same thing if it's over the phone right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hii! I'm applying from malaysia :biggrin:
I've applied to cambridge, bristol, rvc and edinburgh. And I've got a cambridge interview coming up on the 26th this month. I haven't really got much diversity in regards to my WE though, only managed to work with horses, small animals and some farm animals. Started competing in the equine industry since I was 9.
There are very few seats for international applicants but very few applicant as well :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by regsyl
Hii! I'm applying from malaysia :biggrin:

Ooh, close by. Nice!

Original post by regsyl
I've applied to cambridge, bristol, rvc and edinburgh. And I've got a cambridge interview coming up on the 26th this month.

Wow! Congrats! I wasn't confident about Cambridge and RVC said I can't apply directly after my 12th grade. :frown:

Original post by regsyl
I haven't really got much diversity in regards to my WE though, only managed to work with horses, small animals and some farm animals. Started competing in the equine industry since I was 9.

That's pretty impressive! I've only had real work experiance the last two months. It took me ages to find a clinic!

Original post by regsyl
There are very few seats for international applicants but very few applicant as well :biggrin:

Huh, I never thought of it that way. I guess that's true!
Reply 3
Hi, Norwegian applicant here:yes:
[URL=http://
I am applying to Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Liverpool.
I feel I could've more diversity as well :frown:
Today is my last day shadowing a LA vet. Been an amazing week:smile:

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app]Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
Although I have a UK passport, I'm applying from Switzerland and have never lived in the UK, so not really sure if I count as international. I'm hoping for fees I won't!
I've applied to Cambridge, Surrey, Edinburgh and Nottingham.
I'm really worried about my work experience, didn't manage to get much and hardly anything on the animal husbandry side of things.
Reply 5
Original post by alwaysalex
Hey!
Although I have a UK passport, I'm applying from Switzerland and have never lived in the UK, so not really sure if I count as international. I'm hoping for fees I won't!
I'm really worried about my work experience, didn't manage to get much and hardly anything on the animal husbandry side of things.

Ay another cambridge applicant! Which college are you applying to? Since you have a uk passport I don't think you will be considered as an international applicant as it only applies to those without a uk passport :frown:
Original post by regsyl
Ay another cambridge applicant! Which college are you applying to? Since you have a uk passport I don't think you will be considered as an international applicant as it only applies to those without a uk passport :frown:

Clare, what about you?
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll get home fees, Edinburghs already told me I could as a EU/EEA student, which is great but means I don't get maintenence fee loans. Still means I'm in a lot better position then all my friends that count as international :/
Reply 7
Clare, what about you?
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll get home fees, Edinburghs already told me I could as a EU/EEA student, which is great but means I don't get maintenence fee loans. Still means I'm in a lot better position then all my friends that count as international :/

I got allocated to clare :biggrin: heh made an open app. True true. Have you got an interview yet?
Original post by regsyl
I got allocated to clare :biggrin: heh made an open app. True true. Have you got an interview yet?

:eek: awesome! Clare's great!
Nope, I won't know about interview until end of November (they wait until after BMAT results). Have you?
Reply 9
:eek: awesome! Clare's great!
Nope, I won't know about interview until end of November (they wait until after BMAT results). Have you?

I was actually quite surprised to be allocated to clare since its considered to be an oversubscribed college? Yeah I have one this sunday since im having my interview here in malaysia :smile:
Reply 10
Hey!

UK passport right, not visa? You should get home fee then. Were you born there? I have a friend who has a UK passport and was born there and I'm pretty sure she's getting home fee.

I see a lot of people applying to Surrey but I hadn't heard of it before coming onto these forums. It isn't there in a lot of table either, it's supposed to be good huh?

Same! :frown:

Clare, what about you?

True! International fee is pretty high.
Original post by AnimalArk
UK passport right, not visa? You should get home fee then. Were you born there? I have a friend who has a UK passport and was born there and I'm pretty sure she's getting home fee..

This is wrong, I'm afraid you need to be resident in the UK for 3 years. However if you are resident in the EU then you will pay the same fees as UK students.
Original post by regsyl
I was actually quite surprised to be allocated to clare since its considered to be an oversubscribed college? Yeah I have one this sunday since im having my interview here in malaysia :smile:

It's oversubscribed with home students, internationals are slightly different.
Reply 13
Original post by suedonim
This is wrong, I'm afraid you need to be resident in the UK for 3 years. However if you are resident in the EU then you will pay the same fees as UK students.

Maybe I'm wrong. But her father is living there so it's possible that it somehow works out. Either way, each case is different so it's best to try yourself.
Original post by regsyl

Yes it is! A lot of people that apply to Clare get pooled to other colleges. I almost applied to Girton becasue of that, but Clare stole my heart :tongue:

:eek: Good luck!!!
Original post by suedonim

Not exactly, if you are a UK citizen and have lived in the EU/EEA or Switzerland for the 3 years you count as home. If you're an EU citizen then you get home fees but you can't get maintenence loans.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/admissions/documents/ukcisa-guidance-march-2013.pdf
Original post by AnimalArk
UK passport right, not visa? You should get home fee then. Were you born there? I have a friend who has a UK passport and was born there and I'm pretty sure she's getting home fee.

I see a lot of people applying to Surrey but I hadn't heard of it before coming onto these forums. It isn't there in a lot of table either, it's supposed to be good huh?

Same! :frown:

True! International fee is pretty high.

Yep, I have the passport, and was born there, but have never lived there and my family doesn't own a house there. I think it really depends on each individual case so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

They reason you hadn't heard of it is probably because it's new! It took it's first intake this year, and next year will be its first full intake as they're only finished building the vet school this year! I basically applied there because of the low WE requirements - only 4 weeks!
Reply 17
Yep, I have the passport, and was born there, but have never lived there and my family doesn't own a house there. I think it really depends on each individual case so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

Yep!

They reason you hadn't heard of it is probably because it's new! It took it's first intake this year, and next year will be its first full intake as they're only finished building the vet school this year! I basically applied there because of the low WE requirements - only 4 weeks!

Ah, makes sense. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 18
Anybody applied for a 5th choice?
Reply 19
Original post by regsyl
Anybody applied for a 5th choice?

Yep, Biology at Imeprial. I'm now thinking maybe it was a bit over ambitious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending